Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The funny thing to me is saying "How do they know it was accurate?"... black and white isn't accurate so what the hay?

01-20-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My wife always complains when I show her one of my B&W photos. However, to my eye, some images demand monochrome.

Some of my B&W favourites on Flickr. Most of these would be greatly diminished in colour .... again, to my eye.
01-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was little I believed everything was black and white in Kansas.

Chris
01-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For what it's worth in my opinion If photography is about recording a moment in time, it is also around representing the time they were taken. The technology available and how those brilliant Photographers managed to capture those moments with the basic tools they had. Looking at old B&W photos be it gallery prints ,family prints or historical documentaries it lets the viewer fill the gaps with colour and use their imagination perhaps even more thought provoking than a colour print because you don't just imagine the colour or the weather but you get more into the subject matter and that is the central focus.
So for me leave them alone by all means digitize them but in the words of Joni Mitchell "nobody asked van gogh paint a starry night again Man" He painted it and that was it. Just like painting Photography is not a performing art.

01-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Monch painted the scream 4 times.
Edit
Also interesting is that modern art came on the heals of photography. Photography took over the job of representing what we see. This freed, perhaps by taking away commissions, painters to express the emotions and wonder in the world. There was resistance then too. With so much access to historical photos and copies, perhaps we have entered a time where the world is freed to manipulating photos.

Last edited by swanlefitte; 01-20-2019 at 11:34 PM.
01-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't suggest that BW isn't as valid a medium for film or motion pictures. This modern filmmaker for example, uses BW intentionally for his films, and the images are boldly dramatic and beautiful, IMO, color is not necessary.

It is not a question of whether a color photograph of a mundane BW shot makes the subjects and the time captured in more human, more relatable to 21st century viewers. Not better, just more familiar.
01-21-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Black and white is good for film noire.

01-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Monch painted the scream 4 times.
Edit
Also interesting is that modern art came on the heals of photography. Photography took over the job of representing what we see. This freed, perhaps by taking away commissions, painters to express the emotions and wonder in the world. There was resistance then too. With so much access to historical photos and copies, perhaps we have entered a time where the world is freed to manipulating photos.
Nice I will pass it on to Joni... Ian Macmillan also took 8 pics of the Beatles crossing Abbey road but none are the same, that was in colour obviously however when he did the face morphing pic for a single label of John to Yoko that was in B&W, feel like I'm rambling a bit now, and not really making any point
01-21-2019, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
First of all how can colorizing be accurate unless someone was there and wrote down what every color was. A photographer like Matthew Brady did such powerful work it does not need to be colorized. My opinion is that colorizing trivializes the work. History should never be changed because of someone’s opinion, and to me these old photos are certainly history.

I think the color tinting of photos by the photographer or his assistants was fine because they intended to do that.
I dunno. If it gets people looking at history, some of them might learn from it.
01-21-2019, 07:02 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A documentary is meant to convey the reality of the situation. I think the colouring was wonderful.
01-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Black and white is good for film noire.
Most definitely!

A Russian historian colorized historic photos from the late 19th to mid 20th century, I think it makes the people more human to see them in color.

BW is still a viable choice for dramas. Several years ago the motion picture The Artist won some academy awards, and several of its scenes would inspire a photographer. This year's Academy Award's best contender for foreign films,
is also in black and white, as was the director's previous award-winning film. I cannot imagine that color would make this film any better.

Last edited by robgski; 01-30-2019 at 03:17 AM.