Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2020, 01:55 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a novoflex follow focus shoulder stock on a 600mm lens once - sold it on as it was too heavy for me, and as you said it was a real look at me piece of equipment. The 600mm lens was the size of a bazooka.
Novoflex 600mm Folow Focus Lens Set - PentaxForums.com

Turning a setup into something like a nerf gun that is so overstated that people smile rather than get concerned is definitely the way to go. The outside of the hood could be shocking pink or fluoro orange so it looks like a survey instrument. A camo look will not be appropriate for personal safety but would b better for photographing wild life.

Reminds me of those duck hunters dressed completely in camo but then put a high viz vest over the top. Are deer colour-blind to fluoro?

04-23-2020, 04:20 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Reminds me of those duck hunters dressed completely in camo but then put a high viz vest over the top. Are deer colour-blind to fluoro?
Yes, they are color blind to blaze orange. That's why hunters wear it.
04-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had a novoflex follow focus shoulder stock on a 600mm lens once - sold it on as it was too heavy for me, and as you said it was a real look at me piece of equipment. The 600mm lens was the size of a bazooka.
Novoflex 600mm Folow Focus Lens Set - PentaxForums.com
I had never heard of that Novoflex Noflexor 600mm until now. That is some crazy kit! That's even worse than the fotosnaiper!

Turning a setup into something like a nerf gun that is so overstated that people smile rather than get concerned is definitely the way to go. The outside of the hood could be shocking pink or fluoro orange so it looks like a survey instrument. A camo look will not be appropriate for personal safety but would b better for photographing wild life.

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Yes, they are color blind to blaze orange. That's why hunters wear it.
For a moment there I thought you were being sarcastic! Right enough, they only have blue and green cones - what we'd call protanopia in humans: specifically red-green colorblindness.

I was actually thinking of bright orange for the body of it anyway - that way I can use it in parks -- as Arjay said, make it look like a survey instrument.

If I want to temporarily camouflage it, I can wrap it in burlap and garnish to taste (sorry, camoufleur joke, and not a good one. ). To be honest, though, for deer and foxes (both effectively red-green colourblind, to differing extents), it won't be needed except to break up the outline - and ideally, deer and foxes will only see it from the front anyway.

It will be a lot more obvious to birds, especially if its reflective in the UV region. Many (most?) birds have better colour vision than we do, often extending into the UV, and occasionally the near infrared.

Do you think I'd get away with leaving the lens itself black, and just having the stock painted orange?

I could go as far as adding an orange, detachable, rigid-cowl that fits over the lens, making it look oversized and boxy, and it'd be big enough to stencil "surveyor" or something on it - it's technically true!

I'd want to see what it looks like with just the stock though, as it's a lot of work to design and build a cowl - it'd need to be printed in sections, or made from plate metal and folded or rolled to shape.

Also, I just thought of another feature that might be useful - folding bipod.
04-28-2020, 02:00 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Been having a think about this - what if, instead of adding a pistol-grip, we used the regular grip of the camera, with a thin, lightweight stock coming off the bottom? In effect, it'd just be the extendable shoulder-rest and a comfortable ergonomic hand-rest for the left-hand.

It wouldn't be able to actuate the aperture-release lever on the Tair, mind you, but it would allow it to be used with other lenses. Maybe.

The downside is that you'll be holding it further back from the center of gravity, and higher up, which might be uncomfortable.

I suppose I can test out both ideas.

The plan, so far, is to use a strip of pine for the base - and things will be attached to that. Arca-swiss mount at the back for the camera body, an 3/4" bolt with a wheel on the bottom for the Tair's mount, and a notch in the front to fit the Tair's focusing wheel. Couple of circular brackets wrap around the lens, and have a wooden rod along the top acting as a carry handle.

Finally, 3D printed adapter at the back that takes a small PVC pipe, which holds the shoulder rest at the far end (probably 3D printed, though I might just use a strip of wood... it's not like I need to absorb a lot of recoil!).

It sounds more complicated than it is - it's a strip of wood with some mounts screwed to it - and maybe a handle.

04-28-2020, 02:48 AM   #80
Pentaxian

This is the Novoflex stock I had - kind of sounds like the device you describe. I used a cable remote velcroed ro the side of the stock to trigger the camera. Which was a mistake as the pressure of my index finger pressing the remote button was enough to deflect the lens sideways e to the very small angle of view of a 600mm lens.

This was my setup. The grip the front end of the strap is attached to rotates though 90 degrees to be in parallel with the rear grip. The padded part of the shouder stock rotates through 90 degrees as well as Novoflex sells this piece as a stabiliser for cameras when used for video work. It brace the camera against the chest or stomach th the camera braced against the neck strap.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 04-28-2020 at 03:03 AM.
04-28-2020, 11:41 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that! More inspiration!

...I still can't get over that lens, though! 🤣
04-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cprobertson1 Quote
...I still can't get over that lens, though! ��
A fairly simple lens I think it may have been a triplet but the apertur had a huge number of blades. The 600mm lens unscrewed from the grip and could be exchanged for a 400mm lens for doing close work.
05-11-2020, 02:26 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A fairly simple lens I think it may have been a triplet but the apertur had a huge number of blades. The 600mm lens unscrewed from the grip and could be exchanged for a 400mm lens for doing close work.
I would totally want one, except I would never use it due to it's size. Having said that... maybe I would find a use for it... NO, Callum! You have enough glass already!

Speaking of glass, that's the new lenses arrived. Got the rear printed, the glass fitted, and just need to install it in the Mk-20 body and it'll be good for a test run!

Technically this is the Mk20-42C, but I've instead decided to step up a Mark and make it the Mk-21 66.5mm.