Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2019, 02:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
UK Clampdown on Social Media Product Placement

News in the UK is that certain celebs have been warned against endorsing products on social media without declaring gifts or payments.

Social media stars agree to declare when they post ads - BBC News

Quote from that link :
QuoteQuote:
They will have to clearly state if they have been paid or received any gifts or loans of products they endorse. It follows warnings from the Competition and Markets Authority that their posts could break consumer law
While this specific and public warning is to 16 named celebs (and some further unnamed ones), the law does apply to everyone, and I would think that many photographic bloggers fall foul of it, naming no names. It would also apply to eg using a camera with brand visible, that was a gift from the maker, in a vlog that was not about cameras but about football, say. However, this must be a very difficult law or rule to police, and difficult to interpret legally.

I don't think that Ricoh could be thought to have any involvement in this!

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 01-24-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Typos
01-24-2019, 03:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I must be weird for wondering what should be illegal about the age-old practice of celebrity endorsements, LL!

Celebs have sat at basketball games, dined and been photographed at certain restaurants, worn certain labels to events - and surely paid nothing for the privilege, and may have even been on a retainer to do so.

01-24-2019, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it obviously doesn't prohibit endorsements, but it does require disclosure. Personally I always assume that such endorsements are paid and weigh them accordingly. As a somewhat conservative person I question the necessity of the government even stepping into the space except when there is obvious fraud. YMMV
01-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Well, it obviously doesn't prohibit endorsements, but it does require disclosure. Personally I always assume that such endorsements are paid and weigh them accordingly. As a somewhat conservative person I question the necessity of the government even stepping into the space except when there is obvious fraud. YMMV
Exactly... people buy some product just for the show. If they want to go to Arby's because Brad Pit (or some other celeb) might be there, I don't have a problem with that. Let them live their fantasy. These Kiljoy's want to take the fun out of everything.

My take on a lot of this stuff is, people should be smarter. Back when I was about 6, I became enthralled with a Hopalong Cassidy decoder ring. I collected three cereall box tops, and mailed off my request. When I got the ring, I started writing down the "secret messages" at the end of the show. They were things like "Tell your mom to buy Cherios."

Lesson learned. There is no end to hucksterism, it can't be abolished. Modern economies depend on it. What I find more disturbing is things like Chevy commercials claiming success because of J.D. Power awards, when everyone in the industry knows those awards go to the highest bidder. But Chevy isn't going to admit, "we were so desperate to have someone approve our product we actually paid them to say nice things." That just makes them sound desperate.

Last edited by normhead; 01-24-2019 at 09:31 AM.
01-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"claiming success because of J.D. Power awards, when everyone in the industry knows those awards go to the highest bidder."

Read more at: UK Clampdown on Social Media Product Placement - PentaxForums.com
I must say this comment begs for a correction. I've worked 35 years in auto assembly and never heard this from anyone among all levels of the operation. I have a position with direct input helping to solve problems and improve many aspects of the plant business. When we produce lower quality we are not rewarded but continuously work very hard to improve and achieve greater customer satisfaction. When we are rewarded for that it's because our vehicle deserves it.
01-24-2019, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
claiming success because of J.D. Power awards, when everyone in the industry knows those awards go to the highest bidder.

Read more at: UK Clampdown on Social Media Product Placement - PentaxForums.com
I must say this comment begs for a correction. I've worked 35 years in auto assembly and never heard this from anyone among all levels of the operation. I have a position with direct input helping to solve problems and improve many aspects of the plant business. When we produce lower quality we are not rewarded but continuously work very hard to improve and achieve greater customer satisfaction. When we are rewarded for that it's because our vehicle deserves it.
Oh dear....
Want unbiased, read Consumer Reports,
My opinion remains. J.D. Power awards are paid advertising. And you can see that by looking at real unbiased stats collected by Consumer reports. I have no problem with credit where credit is due, but that's not what J.D. Power does.

Their own homepage describes them as a "marketing firm".
What they measure is how much of a "reality distortion field" their survey respondents have fallen for.

Last edited by normhead; 01-24-2019 at 09:33 AM.
01-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe you are misinformed. Maybe some clarification will help. J.D. Power awards are are based on customer feedback from recent buyers of current autos. People report their perceptions of quality. One section addresses issues that concern functionality and operation while another asks for likes, dislikes, and opinions. It's overall value is to measure their satisfaction and is useful for sales and marketing to a large extent. But companies do not pay for results. The surveys ask vehicle buyers but I'm sure hardly any customers are auto experts.
Consumer reports is an in-depth investigation by experts in fine detail however and can examine engineering and performance very technically. They have a reputation for impartial reporting and integrity.
The vehicle I'm involved with currently holds awards from both of these sources and many more. It took a lot of hard work.
01-24-2019, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
I believe you are misinformed. Maybe some clarification will help. J.D. Power awards are are based on customer feedback from recent buyers of current autos. People report their perceptions of quality. One section addresses issues that concern functionality and operation while another asks for likes, dislikes, and opinions. It's overall value is to measure their satisfaction and is useful for sales and marketing to a large extent. But companies do not pay for results. The surveys ask vehicle buyers but I'm sure hardly any customers are auto experts.
Consumer reports is an in-depth investigation by experts in fine detail however and can examine engineering and performance very technically. They have a reputation for impartial reporting and integrity.
The vehicle I'm involved with currently holds awards from both of these sources and many more. It took a lot of hard work.
You are agreeing with me.
QuoteQuote:
People report their perceptions of quality.
With all due respect, that's not science. An interesting thing to do would be to determine if people's perceptions lined up with reality. Are Chevy owners more sucpatable to suggestions from advertisers than other buyers? There are a number of ways people could go with this kind of research.

QuoteQuote:
But companies do not pay for results

They pay J.D. Power. Whether or not they are paying for results is not the point. The point is that companies that are not paying J.D. Power do not have their products included in the survey results.

QuoteQuote:
The vehicle I'm involved with currently holds awards from both of these sources and many more.
That's great, but. Everybody works hard at quality etc. Every basketball player strives to be leBron James or Micheal Jordan. Working hard is just part of the formula.
When I bought my Rav4 there was no NA vehicle that was even close in terms of reliability. Then for couple of years the ford Escape was best in class. These things change sometimes. But J.D power surveys attitudes. The essence is because more people say they like it. The same people who continued to buy GM and Ford products when they were absolute junk compared to Honda or Toyota. See for most of us, the fact that those people are happiest with their G.M products is irrelevant. They were crack pots, and continue to be crack pots.

I'm as happy as anyone that the NA auto makers were forced to pick up their game, but now they need to get their old "snake oil salesman" techniques out of their advertising, at least to impress me. Although I'm quite happy to admit, it's probably better to advertise to those who buy snake oil than those who will evaluate vehicle technically. What they don't realize is folks like me won't buy their product, simply because we don't want people to think we are one of those ignorant Chevy customers who would think their car was the best even if it broke down the day it left the lot. I don't want to encourage the stupidity.

Last edited by normhead; 01-24-2019 at 11:33 AM.
01-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The original topic of people on social media in Britain having to disclose if something is an advertisement or sponsored isn't something new. It's part of their broadcasting advertising standards, basically it's to stop situations like a person presenting an advertisement as though it were news. You can do a full infomercial with product placements and sponsorship if you want - you just need to add the words "This is a paid advertisement." or similar to the end of the description.

It's not really a big deal, all you need to do is say in the description whether or not the media in question is an advertisement/sponsored. Frankly the bigger issue would be sticking to all of the rules that the sponsors will have.
01-24-2019, 11:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
The original topic of people on social media in Britain having to disclose if something is an advertisement or sponsored isn't something new. It's part of their broadcasting advertising standards, basically it's to stop situations like a person presenting an advertisement as though it were news. You can do a full infomercial with product placements and sponsorship if you want - you just need to add the words "This is a paid advertisement." or similar to the end of the description.

It's not really a big deal, all you need to do is say in the description whether or not the media in question is an advertisement/sponsored. Frankly the bigger issue would be sticking to all of the rules that the sponsors will have.
Especially with product placement. I watch a lot of Netflix, and though a longtime Apple customer, I really find the camera angles they use to fulfil their product placement contracts detract from the overall quality of the show.
01-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always find it somewhat funny to watch American reality shows with blurred out trademarks. Not very realistic.
01-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
Photos: Gallery
If you buy x,y or z because some celebrity endorses it you deserve whatever you get!