Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2019, 04:59 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grand Canyon - 100th Anniversary

Last night a major catastrophe hit the household - my wife discovered we were out of chocolate. She would mainline the stuff, if it were possible. Off to the the grocery store for an emergency run. While checking out, there was the new February issue of Arizona Highways, essentially devoted to the Grand Canyon National Park's 100th Anniversary.

The photography, as expected is exceptional - which is the norm for probably the world's foremost landscape photography magazine - disguised as a travel journal. The magnificent panoramas, early morning and late afternoon canyon images, the storms transiting through the canyon with the lightning followed by rainbows. The deep reds, oranges, yellows, purples, grays, and deep shadows of black. The iridescent blue skies, with bands of sun lighting up the canyon walls. A little bit of everything for folks to enjoy. I often say that the canyon mid-day is sorta of boring - but with the right weather, clouds and threatening - there are excellent images to be acquired.

A mile below the rim, there is a bridge across the canyon, that was built in 1928. Hand built, for the pack mules and hikers at the end of a fairly long tunnel through the sides of the canyon. Black bridge is being designated as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. There is another bridge across the upper reaches of the Grand Canyon at Marble Canyon.

So, if you are so inclined to have planned a visit to the canyon - this particular issue of Arizona Highways has a lot to offer. This particular issue reminded me that I have always wanted to see and shoot a snow covered Grand Canyon, and the years just keep peeling off.

There has been a couple of really major snowstorms through northern Arizona this winter, that covered the canyon. That is one thing that I have always wanted to catch and I was kind of counting on this year. But late November, I had some emergency surgery and the day after Christmas, I wrenched my back. So, now I'm feeling better - able to get around, however I can't really remember when I used my camera last - I think in October in Oak Creek Canyon with the Milky Way. There might be one last snowstorm this winter that I may be able to catch.

Oh yea - I was able to score the last chocolate cake the store had.

01-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Last night a major catastrophe hit the household - my wife discovered we were out of chocolate. She would mainline the stuff, if it were possible. Off to the the grocery store for an emergency run. . . . Oh yea - I was able to score the last chocolate cake the store had.

so, you are saying it was safe for you to go home

thanks for the great information on the Grand Canyon too
01-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so, you are saying it was safe for you to go home
The shelves were empty - even the frozen ones. I called and M&M's would not do - cake, real cake - not the frozen fake stuff!!! I asked the baker and she actually found one in the back. So, yes - I was able to safely make it back home.

01-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the post complete with success in the chocolate cake department!

The Grand Canyon (GC) should be on the very top of any landscape/wildlife/general everything photographer's list at all seasons of the year!

Taken with my Pano point & shoot at sunset: American Southwest - JaredQGerlach

I was lucky enough to see the GC with fresh snow and a blanket of perpetually-rising clouds back in 1991. I was there in January right after a big storm cruised through Northern AZ. I took some pics with my then-new Minolta X-700 and spent some quality time hiking around the place with cold, wet feet. Good times!

Unfortunately, I've never been able to go back outside of summer and early fall. I think winter at the GC is a bit magical with the combination of the interesting weather and the relative quiet, although one is pretty much restricted to just the south rim and trails since the north side shuts down for the winter.

As for Arizona Highways...I still think the photography and many of the features are very, very good. It cracks me up when I hear people say the quality of the images in that magazine aren't as good as they once were. There are so many great photographers who contribute these days including regulars like Jack Dykinga and loads of "new" ones.

01-27-2019, 09:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a companion book also published by Arizona Highways which I got from my dear wife. She intercepted the issue that had a flyer about it and ordered it without me knowing it existed. Great surprise. The text is awesome and the pictures too.
01-27-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photocles Quote
Thanks for the post complete with success in the chocolate cake department!

The Grand Canyon (GC) should be on the very top of any landscape/wildlife/general everything photographer's list at all seasons of the year!

Taken with my Pano point & shoot at sunset: American Southwest - JaredQGerlach

I was lucky enough to see the GC with fresh snow and a blanket of perpetually-rising clouds back in 1991. I was there in January right after a big storm cruised through Northern AZ. I took some pics with my then-new Minolta X-700 and spent some quality time hiking around the place with cold, wet feet. Good times!

Unfortunately, I've never been able to go back outside of summer and early fall. I think winter at the GC is a bit magical with the combination of the interesting weather and the relative quiet, although one is pretty much restricted to just the south rim and trails since the north side shuts down for the winter.

As for Arizona Highways...I still think the photography and many of the features are very, very good. It cracks me up when I hear people say the quality of the images in that magazine aren't as good as they once were. There are so many great photographers who contribute these days including regulars like Jack Dykinga and loads of "new" ones.
Good Evening - well, I guess I should say Good Morning, since you're in tomorrow already. Thanks for the link to your portfolio! I always find it interesting to see places I know through the eyes of others. What you find interesting and how you choose to compose the image. Especially scenes that I see often and pay little attention to any more. I need to go back and rethink how I see things.

I need to get back up to the Grand Canyon again - although my wife has plans on trying to get more yard work done before it gets hot.

Arizona Highways has always provided me with enjoyable reading, although I came for the images that always appear to be unusually easy to capture. Many have the appearance of not being that epic landscape where someone sat there for a week waiting for the perfect instant of light for the composition and then over saturated and lightroomed it to death. But rather epic in the sense, that the landscape that was just naturally there for the capturing and was already perfect in and of itself and captured that way by the photographer.