Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2019, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
why not just ask the people in charge?

if you win but are then challenged as to when the image was captured by your camera will you tell the truth?

I would rather know the submission doesn't fit per those in charge who would decide if it qualifies if later questioned

but that is just me

YMMV
"Letter of the law", vs "spirit of the law.". These three-year rules seem pretty common, and a lot of people probably say, "Ah, who's gonna know?" I've never seen any enforcement at these local contests- but it's a point of personal integrity. This extends to categorization as well. We have an annual juried contest, with entries for B&W, Color, and "Digitally Altered." The woman who took 1st place "Color", was then asked to speak to attendees about her work. With the organizers present, she revealed how she'd removed the entire background in Photoshop, so as to better isolate the butterfly subject. This should have clearly put her in the "Digitally-Altered" category- where she'd have faced much tougher competition. Those of us others, who were also juried into the "Color" category, felt cheated, yet nothing was said by the judges about her revelation. It certainly was discouraging to those of us who "played by the rules." And wouldn't you know, that same "winning" butterfly shot later popped up in at least four or five other shows afterward. What's that saying, "Cheaters never prosper?" Or was it, "Rules are made to be broken?" ; )

02-12-2019, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
"Letter of the law", vs "spirit of the law.". . . but it's a point of personal integrity. . . What's that saying, "Cheaters never prosper?" Or was it, "Rules are made to be broken?" ; )

another old saying I was taught - " you have to face yourself in the mirror and you will know what you did "

to some folks, " character " is everything, to some not so much to others nothing - " the ends justify the means "

imho, it is unfortunate but it isn't anything new

some folks say that " it can takes years to gain a reputation but only seconds to ruin one "

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-12-2019 at 03:15 AM.