Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smc coating vs hd coating

Hello! I have two 55-300mm lenses the Smc version and the Hd version, not plm version. So, I have tried a brick wall test just for my curiosity. This test it's not about flare resistance or other aspects of hd coating, it's about color and contrast. And I confirm that hd coating it is better, not by much, but better. Sharpness it's the same! So, same awb, 300mm focal, wide open at f5.8, 1/400 shutter speed. First, the Hd, second Smc, third the Hd crop, fourth the Smc crop...

02-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for the info

FYI, here is a review of the Pentax-DA SMC vs. HD LImited Primes:

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes

Introduction

At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe . . .

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #3

My eyes may be playing tricks on me but the third one looks sharper than the fourth one.
02-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
thanks for the info

FYI, here is a review of the Pentax-DA SMC vs. HD LImited Primes:

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes

Introduction

At Photokina 2012, Pentax announced a brand new lens coating which they named the "HD Coating". This coating is slowly starting to replace the conventional "Super Multi Coating" (SMC) on high-end Pentax glass. According to Pentax, the new HD coating greatly reduces reflectance without making any sacrifices in terms of durability. This kind of coating isn't new to the industry, however: Pentax digital medium format lenses have been treated with a slightly less durable variant called Aero Bright coating ever since their debut, and other manufacturers have been using "nano" coatings on their premium lenses for several years.

The modern SMC coating that DA lenses have been using for about a decade now isn't the same as the SMC coating that Pentax originally launched in the 1970's. In fact, most DA lenses have been said to have a "ghostless" coating, so while we don't expect the difference between SMC and HD coating to be be a game-changer, it should certainly still be easy to observe . . .

Read more at: HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Thank you!

02-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Funny, before reading the full description, I assumed the second and fourth images were from the HD lens. Turns out they were the SMC lens.

To my eyes and monitor, the HD images have a tad more blue cast - that I initially assumed was a tad more flare from older style coatings.

I guess if I had the SMC version, I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace it.
02-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mobusaki Quote
My eyes may be playing tricks on me but the third one looks sharper than the fourth one.
Probably because of the better contrast?
02-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The biggest difference can be seen in flare-inducing situations - e.g. with a light source in the frame.
02-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The biggest difference can be seen in flare-inducing situations - e.g. with a light source in the frame.
Yes, I saw the comparison and it's really efficient this hd coating...

02-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Given they were shot with AWB I don't know if we can draw any conclusions about color.
02-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Given they were shot with AWB I don't know if we can draw any conclusions about color.
I can repeat the test with day light awb but the results will be the same: hd more contrast so better colors...
02-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #11

Ignoring sharpness for a minute and just considering tonality, I prefer the SMC coating in the OP's test. Making the same comparison between my SMC 645 A lenses and my Leica M lenses leaves me impressed with just how right Pentax got their SMC coatings from the start.
02-07-2019, 02:05 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JonVdG Quote
Ignoring sharpness for a minute and just considering tonality, I prefer the SMC coating in the OP's test. Making the same comparison between my SMC 645 A lenses and my Leica M lenses leaves me impressed with just how right Pentax got their SMC coatings from the start.
I can't afford to prefer one because my smc version got fungus, that's why I've bought the hd one. As I can see the hd version has better micro contrast...

---------- Post added 02-07-2019 at 02:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JonVdG Quote
Well, some interesting observation: hd version it's underexposing about 0,3 ev stop, where smc needs 1/100, hd needs 1/125... But, if you apply 0,3 to hd to match 1/100, the picture looks brighter...
02-07-2019, 05:48 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by zburatoru Quote
Well, some interesting observation: hd version it's underexposing about 0,3 ev stop, where smc needs 1/100, hd needs 1/125... But, if you apply 0,3 to hd to match 1/100, the picture looks brighter...
Thanks, I suspected exposure might be influencing my perception of tonality. As a matter of curiosity, I just purchased an older Pentax SMC UV filter to test against my modern multicoated Hoya and B&W filters. I don't expect to see any dramatic differences, but one never knows.