Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2019, 05:29 AM - 23 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Forum time off and a new subject for my photography

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post here (some may have noticed from what I've posted (and not posted) lately) that I had some time away from the forum, around five weeks, at the end of last year before coming back and slowly getting a bit more into the swing of things.

That was because my wife gave birth to our little girl, Mara, at the end of November. Born eight weeks premature, she spent a month in hospital, first in intensive care and then in medium care. She started in an incubator with breathing apparatus, heart monitor, IV, feeding tube and one by one these were removed as she grew stronger and learned to feed by mouth, before coming home on the 26th of December. It was a difficult time, especially as here in Spain the father does not get extra time off in such circumstances and if I'd taken my paternity leave I'd have been left with none by the time she got home.

So I had no time for such frivolities as photography forums and despite being a very active period in my photography (I had a camera with me every day), the photos were very personal and I have shared very few. I still haven't fully decided on my stance on sharing photos of the little one, so I'm being very conservative of what I post online. Photography of other subjects has been reduced to almost zero as I have no time and with Mara so small we're not planning on doing any travelling any time soon.

For photography in the hospital, it was mostly done in very low light (many photos are at ISO 6400 and f/1.4) and the K-3 didn't get a look in. I relied almost exclusively on my little Fujifilm X-M1 and 35mm f/1.4 and 23mm f/2 primes, which did a fantastic job of recording the experience. The K-3 would have been too big and too noisy even if I had lenses for it suitable for such circumstances. I did take some photos with my MX and Tri-X pushed to 1600, but I haven't developed them yet. Now at home the K-3 gets some use but the Fujifilm is just better suited for baby photography.

So now I have a lovely new photography subject and am adapting day by day to our new family member. I hope the journey will be a fine one.

Here are the few pics I've shared online so far.

Mara
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Mara

Mara

Mara

Wonder baby

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 02-08-2019 at 05:37 AM.
02-08-2019, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Many congratulations, Jonathan. The first few weeks must have been difficult for you and your wife, but I'm so glad that Mara was home with you for the New Year.

Your photos are lovely, by the way. I look forward to seeing more as Mara grows...

Here's wishing you and the family all the very best!
02-08-2019, 05:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.Best wishes for a happy and healthy future for your family.
02-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Hi everyone,. . .

That was because my wife gave birth to our little girl, Mara, at the end of November. . . .

So now I have a lovely new photography subject and am adapting day by day to our new family member. . . .
a great new subject you can work with for years to come

congratulations to you and your wife and Mara

02-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Jonathan Mac; thanks for your heartwarming story and pictures. May your family be blessed with health and much happiness.

I hope that you get a chance to pop into PF sometimes.

- Craig
02-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Congratulations!
And welcome back!
02-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #7

Jonathan,
Thank you for sharing. You touched a nerve as my oldest daughter had a nearly identical start in life ...7 weeks premature...~ 1 month in the hospital progressing from ICU to Medium care before being released to us to go home. From the low's of leaving the hospital while your child was in ICU to the high's of seeing her successfully take nourishment by mouth for the first time I truly understand the roller coaster ride that you were on. I applaud you for taking some pictures ....wish that I had done that. At some point far in the future Mara will appreciate them as well.
Congratulations and BEST WISHES for a happy and HEALTHY future.
Doug

02-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on a beautiful baby! We’re glad you’re back, but more than understand the absence.
02-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

congratulations!!! love the pictures!!!
02-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, the best to baby Mara, along with you and your wife. Modern day medicine is truly amazing, I'm so happy things are going well. Enjoy the moment every day, before you know it you'll be walking her down the aisle.
02-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the new addition. Priorities man, family first.
02-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the photos - they look good!
02-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl! I hope it all continue well for you all.
02-08-2019, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on your new subject of photography. New life is a miracle and being a parent is stressful and rewarding at the same time.

Mara is beautiful and I know you'll enjoy plenty of photo shoots with her up ahead (till she gets tired of you pulling out your camera)...
02-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations and thank you for sharing the beautiful photos, especially of sleeping Mara. I have twin grandchildren born at 27 weeks (110 days in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) before they could go home, so I can empathize with both your joy and your agony. At 2 1/4 years one would never know they are preemies.

Little Mara will grow up to be a woman of strong will and fine character, I am certain.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2019 at 07:39 AM.