Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera strap quick mount connectors

I just bought a BosStrap Generation 3 sliding sling strap BosStrap Generation 3 Sliding Sling Strap (Black) BOSG315 B&H and discovered very quickly that I probably need some strong camera strap quick mount connectors as I might want to go back to an around the neck strap from time to time. I was wondering what brand and style connectors PF members recommend. I'm shooting with a K-3 with various lens.

I really like the Generation 3 strap because it allows you to keep your tripod mount plate attached to the camera at all time

02-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the similar Black Rapid strap (designed to attach to the tripod mount), but only use it with my DFA* 70-200 and DFA 150-450, attached to their tripod foot. I leave the default Pentax neck strap attached to the camera, but wound around the ankle of the foot (and secured with a rubber band) to keep it out of the way. It's a little bit of a nuisance, but works well.

Your BosStrap certainly wouldn't be suitable for those large heavy lenses, so we're not really talking about the same thing. I do understand why you might like it though: the neck strap with even medium weight lenses can get tiring after a while.
02-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’m a fan of Peak Design straps. I have the Slide for my K-3ii w/battery grip, the Slide Light for the K70 and the Leash for the mirrorless bodies. I have attached a PD Arca Swiss tripod mounting plate with a PD quick connector to the tripod foot of my DA* 300 f4 so one end of the strap connects to the lens and the other to the body if I want. (The 300 is pretty new. I haven’t had but one outing with it). I also have two PD quick connectors on the camera body so I can go to an around the neck carry as well. If I’m carrying the K-3ii, I’m usually carrying the K70, too.
02-08-2019, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Have to second the choice for Peak Design. The whole system is thought out to be strong and versatile. i.e. you don't need to remove or move parts to be able to put your camera on a tripod.
I've had a couple of the loops (look like string but really tough) on my camera for a few years now, and just thinking about replacing the oldest of them.
The newer loops are made better, but I have not had the need to replace one yet.
I am also out in the rain, snow and sun a lot, so they hold up really well.

02-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also use the Peak Design Sling with connectors mounted to the body lugs. I don’t use the bottom plate connection. I lengthen the strap with heavy lenses and wear it cross-body. The camera base rests against my right hip at the joint and I can rest my hand on the camera/lens for security as I walk, lens pointing down. K-1 + DFA*70-200/2.8 os my heaviest setup carried this way.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-09-2019 at 07:54 AM.
02-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have the similar Black Rapid strap (designed to attach to the tripod mount), but only use it with my DFA* 70-200 and DFA 150-450, attached to their tripod foot. I leave the default Pentax neck strap attached to the camera, but wound around the ankle of the foot (and secured with a rubber band) to keep it out of the way. It's a little bit of a nuisance, but works well.

Your BosStrap certainly wouldn't be suitable for those large heavy lenses, so we're not really talking about the same thing. I do understand why you might like it though: the neck strap with even medium weight lenses can get tiring after a while.
The heaviest lens I have is a Tamron 70-200 F.28 and I rarely carry it without bringing along my tripod and it certainly will not be carried on my sling strap. BTW, the BosStrap folks say the strap is rated for 60lbs......LOL. Who in the heck would carry that without a wheel barrow?
02-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Have to second the choice for Peak Design. The whole system is thought out to be strong and versatile. i.e. you don't need to remove or move parts to be able to put your camera on a tripod.
I've had a couple of the loops (look like string but really tough) on my camera for a few years now, and just thinking about replacing the oldest of them.
The newer loops are made better, but I have not had the need to replace one yet.
I am also out in the rain, snow and sun a lot, so they hold up really well.
I took a look at the Peak Design strap and thought the little string clips molded into the plastic didn't look really safe to me. Not that they aren't, its just my perception.

02-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I may be somewhat non-conventional, but I use a series of Op-Tech quick connectors and attach my Black Rapid strap clasp to the nylon straps of the connectors. The connectors come in male and female versions and each has a strong nylon loop. You can join connectors together using the male-female connection or I can join them by the loops. The Op-tech straps also have these connectors. So this gives me ultimate flexibility. I can have the Op-Tech connectors fastened to the strap mounts on the top-front of the camera, and on the the L-bracket if desired. And I can easily switch between one of my two Op-Tech straps and the Black Rapid Sling strap. Not conventional, but very versatile.
02-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
The heaviest lens I have is a Tamron 70-200 F.28 and I rarely carry it without bringing along my tripod and it certainly will not be carried on my sling strap.
I use my 70-200 and 150-450 almost exclusively hand-held. Just not possible without a sling strap for any length of time.
02-08-2019, 06:15 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak. Design.

Next question?

@Larrymc I happily throw my 645Z around on my PD sling, even while trail running. Those little plastic lugs are rock solid, and the strings could tow a car.

I also would not have been without them (in conjunction with PD's excellent Capture Clips) in Antarctica:

02-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Peak. Design.

Next question?

@Larrymc I happily throw my 645Z around on my PD sling, even while trail running. Those little plastic lugs are rock solid, and the strings could tow a car.

I also would not have been without them (in conjunction with PD's excellent Capture Clips) in Antarctica:
Sandy, do you really have the strap attached to the camera when using the DFA 150-450? I am amazed. Isn't that a lot of strain on the mount?
02-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Peak. Design.

Next question?

Hi Sandy. I have a PD 30L backpack and I use a capture clip on the left shoulder strap. Thinking about getting one for the right strap just for occasional relief for my left shoulder. I see you also have an anchor on your right strap. What do you use that for? I have an anchor strap on one of the side handles of the backpack and I use it to secure my umbrella in case it falls out of the side pocket... I use the anchors with either a wide shoulder strap or a wrist strap for my camera and I agree they are very solid.

I wish PD would sell a wide, padded waist belt for the backpack with some small stowage pockets...
02-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Sandy, do you really have the strap attached to the camera when using the DFA 150-450? I am amazed. Isn't that a lot of strain on the mount?
If I was carrying it for long periods, I'd attach the other end to a mount on the tripod foot. But otherwise, yes. It hasn't been a problem so far - but the lens is so heavy it hangs pretty much straight down so the load is evenly shared.
02-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Hi Sandy. I have a PD 30L backpack and I use a capture clip on the left shoulder strap. Thinking about getting one for the right strap just for occasional relief for my left shoulder. I see you also have an anchor on your right strap. What do you use that for? I have an anchor strap on one of the side handles of the backpack and I use it to secure my umbrella in case it falls out of the side pocket... I use the anchors with either a wide shoulder strap or a wrist strap for my camera and I agree they are very solid.
In Antarctica I had both the K-1 and KP. I wore one on each shoulder strap with a Capture Clip and clipped the body in use into a safety leash using a PD clip. Dropping the camera in that environment was unthinkable....

QuoteQuote:
I wish PD would sell a wide, padded waist belt for the backpack with some small stowage pockets...
I now have the PD Travel Backpack, and it does have a very nice padded waistbelt - with a Capture Clip attachment point on the right and a stowage pocket on the left. I have also recently acquired a LowePro Flipside backpack at about half the normal RRP; I think it may become my preferred option. I will also play around with the Capture Clips on my old LowePro S&F belt. So many options
02-08-2019, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Peak. Design.

Next question?

Sandy, I'm sorry but I am going to have to report you to the SPCPC (Society for the prevention of cruelty to Pentax cameras)!!! That poor little KP looks a mess!

Last edited by Larrymc; 02-08-2019 at 07:34 PM.