Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hood-loupe

Being relatively new to the DSLR world, I noticed in instructional videos the PROs landscape people all have a hood-loupe hanging around their neck. At first glance this thing seems indispensable. A search of the archives produces some dated info. So, is this gizmo worth the effort? Comparisons from retailer info is often difficult to use due to confusing attributes, what are the key things to look at? I wear glasses, is that going to be a non-starter?

02-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
Being relatively new to the DSLR world, I noticed in instructional videos the PROs landscape people all have a hood-loupe hanging around their neck. At first glance this thing seems indispensable. A search of the archives produces some dated info. So, is this gizmo worth the effort? Comparisons from retailer info is often difficult to use due to confusing attributes, what are the key things to look at? I wear glasses, is that going to be a non-starter?
With live view and magnified live view I doubt anything more than a dark cloth would be needed and that only would be needed on the worst sun angles on the rear screen. A lot of older pro cameras lacked these features.
02-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
With live view and magnified live view I doubt anything more than a dark cloth would be needed and that only would be needed on the worst sun angles on the rear screen. A lot of older pro cameras lacked these features.
It certainly would be the frugal option, something that appeals to me. The particular cameras in the videos were D850. Seems a $3K box ought not to need an add-on.
02-15-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
I have one, but it lives in my Q-7 bag to give me a better view when manual focusing since the camera doesn't have a viewfinder.

02-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find a Hoodman loupe very useful and in some cases essential. For landscapes it is often hard to use the LCD screen, with a loupe it's easy. For manual lenses, and auto lenses used manually, it becomes very handy for fine tuning with LV and magnified view. For my product photo work I use a loupe 100% of the time. I also, find it slows me down, which is often no bad thing.

I use glasses for reading, but this loupe has a +2/-2 (as I recall) so I never need my reading glasses to use it.

Indispensably ? Yes, definitely.
02-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had one for several years, and while it's not something I use every time I'm out, when I do need it it's a great tool. I too use reading glasses, and the adjustable diopter is very handy, just wish I could lock it in place. So happy to stumble across one at Goodwill!
02-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would second the Hoodman brand endorsement. Very good quality and, as said above, adjustable diopter just like the camera viewfinder. I don't use it ALL the time, but when you need it you need it pretty badly. There's a reason why you see loupes used in pro videos so often.

02-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I find a Hoodman loupe very useful and in some cases essential. For landscapes it is often hard to use the LCD screen, with a loupe it's easy. For manual lenses, and auto lenses used manually, it becomes very handy for fine tuning with LV and magnified view. For my product photo work I use a loupe 100% of the time. I also, find it slows me down, which is often no bad thing.

I use glasses for reading, but this loupe has a +2/-2 (as I recall) so I never need my reading glasses to use it.

Indispensably ? Yes, definitely.
One video I watch recommended using manual focusing as it can me better than auto with complex landscapes. My Rokinon 16mm is manual so pressure is building for the purchase. Thanks
02-15-2019, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Pentax-branded magnifying eyepiece (o-me53) on one of my cameras but not the others. One niggling issue with that: I have a tendency to misframe some of my shots, going low on some and entirely due to that eyepiece shielding the top part of the frame if I haven't properly positioned my eye in the viewfinder. Happens more often on those quick raise and shoot photos than any other time.
02-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not around my neck but in, or hanging from, my bag. The K1 has great brighter screen, so I don't use the Hoodman Loupe much any more, but for the other cameras I still do.
It is bulky, the lens always needs re-adjusting, and costs way more $$ than it should... but I have not found anything else that shields the light as well or easily. e.g. my hands, a hat, sweatshirt, all work to some degree but have their own issues.
02-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider rob Quote
I've had one for several years, and while it's not something I use every time I'm out, when I do need it it's a great tool. I too use reading glasses, and the adjustable diopter is very handy, just wish I could lock it in place. So happy to stumble across one at Goodwill!
There’s an elastic band accessory specifically designed to temporarily fix the basic Hoodman Loupe to the camera.The other end of the cost spectrum is the Zacuto Z-Finder (and similar) loupe attached to the tripod mount.
02-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #12
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I converted my K-7 to infrared I ended up using this device: Hoodman Live View Kit for all DSLR Cameras - HLVKIT (this or some other equivalent model). It enables me to handhold my camera and use live view under all lighting conditions. It is pricey. I suspect that all you need is the hood part, especially if you are using a tripod. As suggested in an earlier post, there is an elastic band accessory which would make its use easier. The hood is excellent.

Added: By the way, I wear glasses too. They're not needed when using the hood.
02-15-2019, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There’s an elastic band accessory specifically designed to temporarily fix the basic Hoodman Loupe to the camera.The other end of the cost spectrum is the Zacuto Z-Finder (and similar) loupe attached to the tripod mount.
Found it - THANKS!
02-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider rob Quote
Found it - THANKS!
I used that extensively with K-01.