Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2019, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don McCullin at Tate Britain, London

I hope this isn't a repeat post, but a heads up to anyone in the UK and perhaps Europe. There is an exhibition in London of the whole life work of Sir Don McCullin.

Don McCullin

Every single image in the exhibition is hand-developed by him. It covers his entire career from early days in 1960s London and Berlin to recent landscapes and a trip to Syria in 2018. Parts of it from his reporting of war and famine are dark and shocking. For myself, I think it is magnificent. Probably also the last chance to see anything like this arranged by the man who shot every negative and then developed every print. A career like McCullin's probably isn't possible any longer so this is also the end of an era, I think. Who else still going could manage something comparable? The expo is huge - allow lots of time - and pretty crowded but well worth it. I plan to go again.

Last edited by mecrox; 02-19-2019 at 04:28 AM.
02-19-2019, 05:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not just 1 but 2 Don's exhibitions

There is also a second exhibition in Hamiltons gallery called Proximity, well worth seeing too
Don McCullin: Proximity | 30 January - 27 April 2019 | Hamiltons
02-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, I have a visit planned. Love his work. Also got his latest book The Landscape - it is fantastic.
02-19-2019, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is still available on BBC iPlayer for another 15 days

Don McCullin: Looking for England: BBC iPlayer - Don McCullin: Looking for England via @bbciplayer

02-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
This is still available on BBC iPlayer for another 15 days

Don McCullin: Looking for England: BBC iPlayer - Don McCullin: Looking for England via @bbciplayer
I watched the other night. Well worth seeing.
02-20-2019, 05:03 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'd love to get to that. Wish he'd take his work to Northern Ireland. He was here a lot in the troubles and I was actually photographed a few times by English photo journos as a kid in the late 80s. For all I know it was by him.

---------- Post added 02-20-19 at 05:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
I watched the other night. Well worth seeing.
Gotta look that up tonite