Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

LBA, GAS, do you have it and does it make sense?

I found myself in the position where I finally conquered my desire to buy lenses. I literally don't want anything. I am even surprised.

That is, I didn't want anything until a couple of days ago when I decided that I want a Contax G1 with Zeiss 45 f2. Why? I don't know. It doesn't make any sense. I tried a rangefinder and it didn't work for me. I also have the 43 limited which by most accounts matches the zeiss and is even sharper wide open. So why do I want it? I don't know, but I do.

Do you ever find yourself in this situation? What do you do?

02-21-2019, 05:44 PM - 6 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If LBA is only about accumulating one "best" lens in each focal length, then maybe the Zeiss 45 f2 doesn't make sense if you have the 43 LTD.

But if LBA is more about exploring what different lenses can do and maybe even challenging oneself to get extraordinary images out of ordinary lenses, then LBA has no bounds.

To me, LBA has a fun-for-the-money calculation in that I tend to buy almost anything and everything that is cheap at garage sales, thrift stores (rather than overpay for RARE-MINT budget busters on eBay.) If something costs less than lunch or dinner and is likely to provide at least an hour or two of fun photographic mucking about, then I'll buy it. It's a low-budget, low-risk version of LBA.

If it's fun, educational, and not too wallet-taxing, there's nothing wrong with LBA.
02-21-2019, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I found myself in the position where I finally conquered my desire to buy lenses. I literally don't want anything. I am even surprised.

That is, I didn't want anything until a couple of days ago when I decided that I want a Contax G1 with Zeiss 45 f2. Why? I don't know. It doesn't make any sense. I tried a rangefinder and it didn't work for me. I also have the 43 limited which by most accounts matches the zeiss and is even sharper wide open. So why do I want it? I don't know, but I do.

Yes I do. My remedy is to go out and take some nice photos with the gear that I already have.

It doesn't always work, especially if I spend too much time online,
02-21-2019, 05:58 PM - 12 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do...

My name is Chris, and it has been 4 weeks since my last confession..... I mean Lens purchase..

I also have a Wine buying addiction, but that is only to feed my need for drinking Wine, and is maybe also a factor in late night Lens "Buy Now" clicks...

cmohr

02-21-2019, 07:19 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sit here with dozens of lenses I need to sell and just purchased a Sigma 8-16........
02-21-2019, 07:53 PM - 6 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn’t the buying that’s the compulsion. It’s the keeping.
02-21-2019, 08:00 PM - 9 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Twelve Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
  1. We admitted we were powerless over lenses - that our camera bags had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Marketplace greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lenses over to the care of the Forum members, through the Marketplace, as we know them by their PayPal addresses.
  4. Made a searching, fearless and thorough inventory of our camera bags.
  5. Admitted to the Marketplace, to ourselves, and to another special person (looking over our shoulders as we type) the exact nature of our finances.
  6. Were entirely ready to have the Marketplace remove all these defects of rational judgment about shooting with what we have, not what we dream about.
  7. Humbly asked the Marketplace to remove our excess lenses for a reasonable price.
  8. Made a list of all buyers we had harmed by refusing to sell, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such buyers wherever possible, except when to do so would just injure them with this affliction.
  10. Continued to take inventory of our camera bags, and when we bought something we didn't need promptly sold it.
  11. Sought through taking photographs and posting them in the forum to improve our conscious contact with the members, seeking only a vision of the Golden Spiral and the skill to carry that out.
  12. Having had an artistic awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other Lens Buying Addicts, and to practice these steps in all our interactions with Lenses and Gear.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-21-2019 at 08:06 PM.
02-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If something costs less than lunch or dinner and is likely to provide at least an hour or two of fun photographic mucking about, then I'll buy it. It's a low-budget, low-risk version of LBA.
I shouldn't have read this sentence... I had promised myself to be on the wagon until Spring.
02-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have overcome LBA, at least temporarily, After I realized I had several lenses that I had not tried, and really had no desire too. I did recently buy a Tamron Macro (which I really wanted) because I made a bid on an auction that no one else bid on. I don't mind getting a bargain that I really want. However I found myself bidding on two lenses that I don't need, I already have one and realistically a different version of the other. But at least I'm not buying a bunch of stuff I don't really want. I really want more opportunities to use the gear I have.
02-21-2019, 08:43 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have GAS. I got rid of two lenses that I traded for a K-5, I have two K-5s now. And three other cameras. Over the last three years I've owned and given away, two of more cameras. Well, actually more than that because I also own three film cameras that I sent to Eric for parts. At one time in my life I had four K1000s, why? I don't know, just because I wanted them. I just love cameras, more so than lenses. Don't get me wrong, I have more lenses than I'll ever use too, but I prefer buying cameras.
02-21-2019, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I have beaten LBA. There are only three more lens I want. And only two or maybe three I really need. If I can stay away from the lens database and limit my time on the forum I will be fine. There are also a few more Taks I need but those don't count of course.
02-21-2019, 10:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I think I am very close to having everything I want or need. Only a 1.4x FF TC is on my list. However, I am scared that the projected DFA* 85 will tempt me ... and I don't even have any real need for an 85 (I don't do a lot of portraits). I used to think the same about the DFA* 50, but the shear quality of the images from it bowled me over. I shall try to resist though.

A K3ii replacement would be nice though.
02-21-2019, 10:22 PM - 4 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have it beaten once my DA*11-18 arrives. And the GRIII, and the old F85 Soft I have coming.
Until the DFA*85 is released, and I find a FA*200 macro and K28/2.0....
02-22-2019, 03:52 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Sold two more lenses today......guess that makes the incoming 8-16 ok. Doesn't it?
02-22-2019, 07:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I do...

My name is Chris, and it has been 4 weeks since my last confession..... I mean Lens purchase..

I also have a Wine buying addiction, but that is only to feed my need for drinking Wine, and is maybe also a factor in late night Lens "Buy Now" clicks...

cmohr
LOL its been one day since mine... I picked up a new DA* 50-135 For under $700 at B&H. Admittedly it been on my radar for a while as a lens to fill out my collection. But now it looks my GRiii will have to wait for a few months.