Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 147 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2019, 10:10 AM - 3 Likes   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Never let your spouse see the spreadsheet.
Or name the file something like Mechanical Specifications for Toilet Repair Parts.

And store it in a sub-sub file folder under Computer > Operating Systems > Windows 3.1

03-12-2019, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
It's like we're all squirrels and we don't know why we collect acorns. We just do!
Best analogy I've heard on this topic!
03-12-2019, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #93

I found my case of LBA/GAS so bad that even while away overseas I was looking at my local classifieds and eBay...
I even purchased two lenses but I'm not sure how that happened, I think someone bumped me and my finger hit buy-it-now...

Help me!!
03-13-2019, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ajax156 Quote
I even purchased two lenses but I'm not sure how that happened,
You are not alone in the "People Who Bought Lenses By Accident" Club.

03-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
You are not alone in the "People Who Bought Lenses By Accident" Club.
Oh, where do I sign up for that one? Also, is there punch and pie served in our meetings
03-13-2019, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Oh, where do I sign up for that one? Also, is there punch and pie served in our meetings
Only beer. No punches unless someone's wife shows up.
03-15-2019, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Best analogy I've heard on this topic!
Agreed!

I even find sometimes I have somewhat of an epiphany (or some logic creeps in) and think, "I doubt I will ever use half these lenses, I think I will sell them and put the money in the bank". So I start sorting through what I need and pretty soon have convinced myself that I do need most of them and rest aren't worth the effort of selling.

I'm sure my wife rolls her eyes every time I suggest I'm going to clear out of my excess camera gear.

03-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #98
Pentaxian

So I start sorting through what I need and pretty soon have convinced myself that I do need most of them and rest aren't worth the effort of selling.
it is like you're telling my story!
03-15-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Took me about 10 years to calm down. You need to really start off with some 3rd party stuff like Chinon or Vivitar to understand the crap out there, luckily that is a relatively cheap lesson. Next move onto the Takumar or if you have a bit of sense the Super Takumars. You'll lose a season or two messing around with these and then will try and skip the K's and try out some M's, mistake...
At this stage you'll recognise that old zooms are crap, and not all 28's or 35's are created equal and by in large the newer the lens the more forgiving it is to your mistakes. The trick now is to get hold of the plastic DA's (50 & 35) and compare them against a STak 50 or K35/f3.5 and ask yourself which do you enjoy using most? If its the DA's then you're home and dry - start looking at the DA Limiteds or FA versions. If it's the older lens, you're well and truly ****ed for years to come. I'd suggest start at the K's, then some A's especially the A*s and throw in some Zeiss and Voigtlander for giggles. After about 5 years you'll have gone through 3 or 4 types of each focal length and if you still have a bit of sanity you'll have done competitive match offs for each type and sold on the loser or else you may have a copy of each focal length for each series - This is of course for primes. Zoom users? Just beg, borrow or sell yourself for the newest focal ranges you think you deserve or are capable of carrying.
03-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #100
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Agreed!

I even find sometimes I have somewhat of an epiphany (or some logic creeps in) and think, "I doubt I will ever use half these lenses, . . . .
I use all of my lenses

use them well, well that is another topic

I'm trying, really I am
03-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The only vaccine I can think of is a frozen bank account

Dave
Lack of funds works very well. Trust me on this, I have been there.
03-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #102
Forum Member

Oh man....now I have more than 10 video heads on my ebay watchlist.....I'm sorry tax return...
03-17-2019, 08:48 PM   #103
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Took me about 10 years to calm down. You need to really start off with some 3rd party stuff like Chinon or Vivitar to understand the crap out there, luckily that is a relatively cheap lesson. Next move onto the Takumar or if you have a bit of sense the Super Takumars. You'll lose a season or two messing around with these and then will try and skip the K's and try out some M's, mistake...
At this stage you'll recognise that old zooms are crap, and not all 28's or 35's are created equal and by in large the newer the lens the more forgiving it is to your mistakes. The trick now is to get hold of the plastic DA's (50 & 35) and compare them against a STak 50 or K35/f3.5 and ask yourself which do you enjoy using most? If its the DA's then you're home and dry - start looking at the DA Limiteds or FA versions. If it's the older lens, you're well and truly ****ed for years to come. I'd suggest start at the K's, then some A's especially the A*s and throw in some Zeiss and Voigtlander for giggles. After about 5 years you'll have gone through 3 or 4 types of each focal length and if you still have a bit of sanity you'll have done competitive match offs for each type and sold on the loser or else you may have a copy of each focal length for each series - This is of course for primes. Zoom users? Just beg, borrow or sell yourself for the newest focal ranges you think you deserve or are capable of carrying.

You seem like just the gentleperson to help me. I'm debating a new lens purchase, and in shorter focal lengths I have:

1. SMC 17mm fish-eye, which I just got and currently love
2. SMC-M 28mm 2.8, which I've had forever and is OK I guess
3. SMC-M 50mm 1.4, which was my dad's and is made of magic
4. SMC DA 18-55 AL WR, which is for when it's raining

I'm currently on a K-S2, from K-10d and MX.

While I may upgrade or augment the camera body to something full frame in the next year (K-1ii or successor), I kind of think I need a Sigma 35 1.4 Art. Sure, it would look ridiculous on the K-S2, but I feel like it would fill an important niche for lower light pictures of people/gatherings. I love my vintage lenses, but the metering and focusing steps really slow things down in social settings.
03-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #104
dbs
Pentaxian

G'Day Bugs...........

FA 35 f2 is that fast emough ? or the new 35 just released..........We can spend anyones money here

Dave
03-18-2019, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

The only thing as bad as having LBA/GAS is looking on *those* sites and having the dreaded "I'm broke/on a tight budget but I want that one! And that one. And that one. Oooh and that one." but only able to bid on one thing

Last edited by disconnekt; 03-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.