Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #106
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
G'Day Bugs...........

FA 35 f2 is that fast emough ? or the new 35 just released..........We can spend anyones money here

Dave
Probably should, would save some money too. I think I'm getting hung up because I like my 50 1.4 so much more than my 28 2.8, but the FA 35 f2 is a better lens and faster, so maybe thats the direction I should go. Thanks for the feedback!

03-18-2019, 06:22 AM   #107
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
. . . We can spend anyones money here

Dave
it's a conspiracy I tell ya, a conspiracy
03-18-2019, 09:27 AM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BugsDogsAndSunsets Quote
You seem like just the gentleperson to help me. I'm debating a new lens purchase, and in shorter focal lengths I have:

1. SMC 17mm fish-eye, which I just got and currently love
2. SMC-M 28mm 2.8, which I've had forever and is OK I guess
3. SMC-M 50mm 1.4, which was my dad's and is made of magic
4. SMC DA 18-55 AL WR, which is for when it's raining

I'm currently on a K-S2, from K-10d and MX.

While I may upgrade or augment the camera body to something full frame in the next year (K-1ii or successor), I kind of think I need a Sigma 35 1.4 Art. Sure, it would look ridiculous on the K-S2, but I feel like it would fill an important niche for lower light pictures of people/gatherings. I love my vintage lenses, but the metering and focusing steps really slow things down in social settings.
31 all day long unless you're into the MF bug. Sigma might be technically better to some but it has reported AF issues and I just prefer the smoother OOF transitioning of the 31. You could also track down a 35/2 ZF. Luckily the 2nd hand prices of the 31 have dropped a good 25% over the last couple of years as people have departed to 'so called greener pastures'. My advice? Sell the KS-2, pick up a K-3, fit an O-ME53 on it, see how you get on with the DA35/2.4 and decide if that focal length works for you, then research the lens clubs on here for both the 31 and ART 35 and make a decision. The reason I suggest the K-3 is that it will prep you for an upgrade to the K-1 or K-3 replacement from a control model perspective and learning to handle its somewhat grainy files will stand you in good stead down the line.
03-18-2019, 09:53 AM   #109
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
31 all day long unless you're into the MF bug. Sigma might be technically better to some but it has reported AF issues and I just prefer the smoother OOF transitioning of the 31. You could also track down a 35/2 ZF. Luckily the 2nd hand prices of the 31 have dropped a good 25% over the last couple of years as people have departed to 'so called greener pastures'. My advice? Sell the KS-2, pick up a K-3, fit an O-ME53 on it, see how you get on with the DA35/2.4 and decide if that focal length works for you, then research the lens clubs on here for both the 31 and ART 35 and make a decision. The reason I suggest the K-3 is that it will prep you for an upgrade to the K-1 or K-3 replacement from a control model perspective and learning to handle its somewhat grainy files will stand you in good stead down the line.

I have looked long and hard at the 31, and it does look like a great lens. I'm really attracted to the idea of silent autofocus on the Sigma, but I don't know how much it really matters in practice.

I do kind of love my tiny K-S2 though, and I got a bunch of handling and grainy post processing experience on the K-10d. I'm inclined to keep it and supplement with a bigger camera with more of the pro features (top LCD, more dials, bigger body for my large hands, more exposure/program/bracketing options etc). I'm making myself wait a while on that one though.

03-18-2019, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you're already decided enjoy the Art and post up your results.
03-18-2019, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #111
Forum Member

Sounds like you're already decided enjoy the Art and post up your results.
Not entirely, you've convinced me to take another look at the 31. I'm thinking now I'll rent both for a week and then make a decision. For science!
03-22-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #112
Forum Member

I have a quick update on the 35 ART vs. 31 Ltd; I rented both lenses, and they just arrived about an hour ago. Some initial impressions:

1. Both are better lenses than I am a photographer
2. The AF in both is more precise than my 18-55 (noticed I may have a very slight front or back focus issue with the split-prism focus screen I installed)
3. The AF in the Pentax seems faster, but the silent AF in the Sigma is pretty cool
4. Edit: The quick shift feature on the sigma is nice.
5. The size difference is real, but I was expecting the Sigma to be a lot bigger. I've been shooting birds with an SMC 300m f/4, so both lenses seem manageable in comparison.
6. The 4mm focal length difference is more noticeable than I'd expected (not good or bad, just there)

I'll need to spend some more time playing with them this week.

Last edited by BugsDogsAndSunsets; 03-23-2019 at 07:46 AM.
03-22-2019, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA31 does not have quickshift. You're forcing the AF mechanism.
03-23-2019, 03:44 AM   #114
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes!

03-23-2019, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #115
Forum Member

Oops, won't do that anymore!
03-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want another roll of Aerochrome. Does that count for LBA?
03-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
One of the few photographers I follow on youtube posted this video, about how he almost had gas (his channel is usually nothing about gear), thinking that a new camera can solve anything in itself. It's a very predictable video, that cameras are tools and they should be suited for the job and be bought out of necessity to do that job, but I thought I'd share it.

02-07-2021, 05:30 AM   #118
Pentaxian

Pentax LBA advertising:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Imqe7pprpvs/RfSHQuY2xBI/AAAAAAAAAZc/eeg2flZqKzs/s...BA+Lens+ad.jpg
02-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have LBA... I bought a K1 and still only use the old lenses that I had for the ME Super*. If anything, a KP is next on my list as I've no interest in buying modern lenses**. I already have a decent MF 500mm lens that works on my F5's and K1. What more do you need***?

*I bought a F*300 4.5 for the K1 but shhhh

**Because I'm pretty broke

***To take lame portraits of sheep

02-07-2021, 02:27 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I found myself in the position where I finally conquered my desire to buy lenses. I literally don't want anything. I am even surprised.

That is, I didn't want anything until a couple of days ago when I decided that I want a Contax G1 with Zeiss 45 f2. Why? I don't know. It doesn't make any sense. I tried a rangefinder and it didn't work for me. I also have the 43 limited which by most accounts matches the zeiss and is even sharper wide open. So why do I want it? I don't know, but I do.

Do you ever find yourself in this situation? What do you do?
I have a whole bunch of lenses that are collecting dust for lack of use. Why did I buy them, probably because I read some review, or because some "expert" claimed: "This is the greatest thing since Swiss-cheese !" This activated my LBA and I knew I just had to have this lens. Am I remorseful ? HECK NO ! despite the lack of use, if I were to lose the lens, or it got stolen, I would probably purchase it all over again. Unlike others that sell or trade their equipment at the drop of a dime, I usually purchase For-Keeps. Honestly though, you only need about 3-4 lenses (a wide angle, a normal lens, a small telephoto and maybe a telephoto lens). There is no lens on the market right now that that is going to instantly improve your photography...