Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perfessor,

I recommend Flickr for anybody who cares how their photographs are presented. They do a great job with that. Here are my reasons:

- It's free (up to 1000 photos, then pretty darn cheap after that).

- It's accessible by anyone. Not true about viewers having to be Flickr members. Try it out yourself... just go to Find your inspiration. | Flickr and search by name on the top. You can just give people your Flickr name (for ease, you can make it your real name, as in kath.sheridan)

- You can have your "site" up in minutes, unlike a website, which I have, but that takes a lot to get there. Uploading to Flickr is easy as pie.

- You can make photos public or private, or whole albums public or private. If you want, you can direct folks to your page and tell them what Album their pics are in.

- You decide if your photos are downloadable or not. I sell mine through my website, so they are not.

- Instagram is lousy. As others have said above, it's made for phones and quick looks and lots of "following". The reason you don't see a lot of the members here use it is likely due to both demographics and the fact that it sucks for real photography. I have an account but so rarely post because... there really is no point unless you want to create a "story" every day and have lots of people like you. Some of us don't need that kind of adoration.

Good luck with whatever system you choose. By the way, you can always put a note on your Flickr descriptions that instructs people on how to buy prints from you.

03-04-2019, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr also makes it easy to post photos here. I hear that's less easy for facebook. It's handy to have different places for different purposes.

It can be difficult to prevent people from just taking your photos if they are online anywhere. The only person who ever steals my photos is my brother. He works for a TV station. Two or three times a year, he'll email me about using my photo in a news story. Kind of ticks me off that he doesn't even ask but not worth arguing about.
03-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #18
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Perfessor,

I recommend Flickr for anybody who cares how their photographs are presented. They do a great job with that. Here are my reasons:

- It's free (up to 1000 photos, then pretty darn cheap after that).

- It's accessible by anyone. Not true about viewers having to be Flickr members. Try it out yourself... just go to Find your inspiration. | Flickr and search by name on the top. You can just give people your Flickr name (for ease, you can make it your real name, as in kath.sheridan)

- You can have your "site" up in minutes, unlike a website, which I have, but that takes a lot to get there. Uploading to Flickr is easy as pie.

- You can make photos public or private, or whole albums public or private. If you want, you can direct folks to your page and tell them what Album their pics are in.

- You decide if your photos are downloadable or not. I sell mine through my website, so they are not.

- Instagram is lousy. As others have said above, it's made for phones and quick looks and lots of "following". The reason you don't see a lot of the members here use it is likely due to both demographics and the fact that it sucks for real photography. I have an account but so rarely post because... there really is no point unless you want to create a "story" every day and have lots of people like you. Some of us don't need that kind of adoration.

Good luck with whatever system you choose. By the way, you can always put a note on your Flickr descriptions that instructs people on how to buy prints from you.

^^^this^^^

every bit of this is why I use flickr... it's not the 'latest/newest' thing, so doesn't have the cache of being on the cutting edge, but it works for me...
03-05-2019, 05:30 AM   #19

Just another vote for Flickr. I have used it for a long time and found it safe and reliable. However, for friends and local networking I use Facebook. I have stopped using Instagram. It may be my age but I just didn't get along with it - the layout and the 'atmosphere' is all rather naff. It about getting followers at any cost. Many people/ business will follow you just in the hope of you following them back. I like the Flickr community, they are far more honest, welcoming and like minded. However, If you looking to build a local network, Facebook may be more appropriate.

03-05-2019, 05:37 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used Flickr occasionally, I got the account specifically because it was easy to link photos to Single In when I did that back in October. It's good, I like it, it has some nice features. But I don't think I'll get to the point where I'm going to pay to go past the 1000+ photo limit.

My main site for sharing with family and friends is Google Photos. I kind of randomly picked that years ago when my first kid was born and I've stuck with it. Picasa for uploads and management used to be easy, but they discontinued it. Post-Picasa the interface is still good, it's straightforward to drag and drop any number of photos for upload, just a couple clicks to share albums. I have 12 years of pictures there and the only reason I now pay is that I also use Google Drive as a cloud backup for all my RAW files. Oh, and it seamlessly integrates with my Pixel phone for viewing and uploading.
03-05-2019, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Flickr for me, I have memberships at 4 or 5 different sites. Flickr won the "who gets my money" contest.
03-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
Just curious, why haven't many people recommended 500px ?

03-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #23
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
aside from the recent data-loss for a huge number of their members?
03-05-2019, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It sounds like Flickr is the way to go. My primary goal is to post pictures where strangers can easily find the pictures I’ve taken of them or at their event. If they choose to move them or share them on their own social media pages/websites I’m fine with that. I’m not interested in building a social media following or selling these images online. That may change overtime but for now that’s the ticket.

My friends and family get emailed the photos I want them to see and THEY LIKE IT!
03-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
It sounds like Flickr is the way to go. My primary goal is to post pictures where strangers can easily find the pictures I’ve taken of them or at their event. If they choose to move them or share them on their own social media pages/websites I’m fine with that. I’m not interested in building a social media following or selling these images online. That may change overtime but for now that’s the ticket.
My friends and family get emailed the photos I want them to see and THEY LIKE IT!

Flickr has served me well for over a decade. I don't use it as much as I used to, but it still works. You can create albums for each of the events that you shoot. Instagram is more popular but takes a few steps to upload images. I find uploading my images to Google Photos allows me to use my phone to post the images to Instagram without loss of quality.

Another option (if you use Lightroom/Photoshop) is to utilize the Adobe Portfolio that is included with the monthly subscription. The page is customizable and you can easily provide a link to various event pages so others can view your images. (see my link below for an example of a portfolio site).
03-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #26

smugmg for me as a portfolio site, but I don't put up new content all that often. To share with friends/family I make albums on Google Photos and send them links. Occasionally I post to Instagram but kind of haphazardly, I also go through the Google Photos -> Instagram connection on the phone.

On my smugmug portfolio site, I enable the right-click protection (just to remind people copyright is a thing, not because I really think it does anything technically) and the friends/family I'm sending Google links I'm perfectly fine with them accessing the 16mp Google-downres versions that Google enables free infinite storage for. They're really amazingly good downres algorithms, when I need a smaller file for something I'll often upload to Google and download their re-compressed version!

If I need store RAW or full-res in a more serious way (everything I've printed goes into this category) then I put backups of full-size files on Google Drive where they don't re-compress and just leave the file exactly as-is.

So basically, I have different outlets depending on my goals.
03-05-2019, 04:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I've used Flickr occasionally, I got the account specifically because it was easy to link photos to Single In when I did that back in October. It's good, I like it, it has some nice features. But I don't think I'll get to the point where I'm going to pay to go past the 1000+ photo limit.

My main site for sharing with family and friends is Google Photos. I kind of randomly picked that years ago when my first kid was born and I've stuck with it. Picasa for uploads and management used to be easy, but they discontinued it. Post-Picasa the interface is still good, it's straightforward to drag and drop any number of photos for upload, just a couple clicks to share albums. I have 12 years of pictures there and the only reason I now pay is that I also use Google Drive as a cloud backup for all my RAW files. Oh, and it seamlessly integrates with my Pixel phone for viewing and uploading.
Regarding Google Photos, have you found a way to post an image without asking the viewer to click on a link to the image?
03-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
I use 500px. But, Facebook is easy for most of my stuff. 500px is a good clean interface, but it's easier for most people to interact on Facebook, I think.
I have a flickr account, but I forget to use it!
03-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can I link to a Facebook page and vice versa?

Most of the photos I want to permit strangers see are taken at the behest of my social activist friend who hosts a regular Facebook Live cast show several nights a week and other scheduled LIVEcast events as well as spontaneous LIVEcasts On Facebook

She is interested in cross promoting. She is the marketing and social media consultant where she works and volunteers her skills to the non-profits I volunteer to shoot for.

Can post a link to her Facebook page from my Flickr page and can she post a link to my Flickr page from her Facebook page?

I apologize for being ignorant about this stuff but I’ve really avoided having much of an internet footprint in general and social media in particular. Do you know how mean spirited some people can be if they can remain anonymous or at least beyond arm’s reach?
03-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Most of the photos I want to permit strangers see are taken at the behest of my social activist friend who hosts a regular Facebook Live cast show several nights a week and other scheduled LIVEcast events as well as spontaneous LIVEcasts On Facebook

She is interested in cross promoting. She is the marketing and social media consultant where she works and volunteers her skills to the non-profits I volunteer to shoot for.

Can post a link to her Facebook page from my Flickr page and can she post a link to my Flickr page from her Facebook page?

I apologize for being ignorant about this stuff but I’ve really avoided having much of an internet footprint in general and social media in particular. Do you know how mean spirited some people can be if they can remain anonymous or at least beyond arm’s reach?
You can share your flickr images to facebook, twitter, pinterest and tumblr. Likewise, she can post a link from Facebook to your flickr page.