Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Regarding Google Photos, have you found a way to post an image without asking the viewer to click on a link to the image?
No, it's not really for posting on external sites, because of that I think.

03-06-2019, 05:40 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Regarding Google Photos, have you found a way to post an image without asking the viewer to click on a link to the image?
There is a way to copy the link out of the browser, but it's kind of a hassle.

03-06-2019, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think I need two.

Flickr for my personal photography for friends, family and other photographers to view.

Instagram for people with little or no interest in photography but want to see the “journalism and documentary style” photographs taken at their events and the random strangers with dogs photos I take at dog parks for fun.

I am sure there will be cross overs and I can cross promote to my flickr page and Tara’s Facebook, Puppy Pack Adventures, Take It FromTara LIVEcasts and whatever.

Or do nothing. We’ll see. Thank you for all the advice.
03-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I'm using both Flickr and Smugmug.

Most of my stuff is at Smugmug thru the link below. It's great for doing customized layouts and images can easily be shared to PF thru about the same mechanism that Flickr uses. However, you must be a Smug member if you want to leave comments. The management is pretty firm on that, and I've seen them bat down many requests in the support forums to lift that requirement. I'm not sure what the fear is, but maybe they know something I don't. Then again, I guess I don't need people leaving "YOU SUCK" messages for me, so maybe in fact it's a blessing.

Flickr is definitely easier to use, cheaper (free if you want to keep your online portfolio <1000 images), It comes with a half-baked social network called groups which has the appearance of offering social interaction, but it doesn't hold a candle to PF. Also, I was repeatedly told by my non-photography-phile friends and family that they can't figure out Flickr to get to my photos. I can't really understand that, and usually end up having to send images to them anyway. So if sharing with close friends is a primary goal, you might as well just stick to FB or email.

03-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not quite. If you click on View All Sizes and then click on the largest file size you get a page that disables right clicking. But if you open the web inspector in Safari (Develop menu), you can see the static address for the photo. Double clicking the URL in the inspector opens the file in a new tab and you can download it.

So secure enough that someone who doesn't know about the Develop menu can't download it, but not so secure that it can't be done...I'm sure Chrome and Firefox have the equivalent...
You've just explained how to do it ... Thanks !
03-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alright, signed up on Flickr, uploaded an album of monochrome images but can’t figure out put a link to my Flickr page in my posts here. Any help would be appreciated.

Also signed up on instagram but not sure I like it. It seems to be for instant photo posting and not for contemplative photography. (Duh.)
03-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote

Also signed up on instagram but not sure I like it. It seems to be for instant photo posting and not for contemplative photography. (Duh.)
Instagram is the pick of the social media platforms for a working photographer IMO.

It's less interactive and more for display. You can't do a text-only post, an Instagram feed is made up entirely of pictures.

But it is still intended as a regularly updated feed, not a central repository.

03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Alright, signed up on Flickr, uploaded an album of monochrome images but can’t figure out put a link to my Flickr page in my posts here. Any help would be appreciated.

You can share by album. Hover over the album and click the arrow...Just copy and paste the URL...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 3.34.10 PM.png
Views: 135
Size:  186.0 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 3.34.31 PM.png
Views: 188
Size:  38.0 KB

Rosamond Gifford Zoo 1-19-19 | Flickr

Or you can share a photo...be sure to select BBCode...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 3.36.46 PM.png
Views: 193
Size:  8.3 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 3.37.07 PM.png
Views: 245
Size:  30.0 KB

03-20-2019, 02:34 AM   #39
Pentaxian

The first link is to a photo on Flickr that has "public" access.
k70 | SharkyCA | Flickr
The second one is "private"
https://www.flickr.com/gp/sharkyca/97p0G2
I would opt for Flickr account!
03-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #40

Welcome to Flickr!! The link to your Flickr page is done by editing your pentaxforums signature:
1. Go to your account by clicking on your name at the top right of the forum window.
2. Along the left side you'll see "Edit Profile", click on that
3. Along the left side you'll see "Edit Signature", click on that
4. In the text box you can set up the link however you want. I did it by typing the word "Flickr", then highlighting it and clicking on the green globe with a chain that says inset link when you hover over it.
5. Copy the url from your Flickr home page and paste this into the link box that opens up.
6. Save and that link will show up on each of your forum posts.

Instagram:
Yes it is Twitter for photos - images show up and disappear at the speed of cyberspace. You can follow a few people and then look at their profile where many have links to their websites/blogs or other social media pages where you can look at their work in more detail. Flickr is more "educational" in that many people include their EXIF information along with the images so you can sleuth out some of the key aspects of their image making. That is not possible on Instagram ... it is more of an "Ooooh, that is a pretty picture!" and move on type of environment.

Hope you enjoy Flickr!