Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Thanks. There certainly are tradeoffs. I made more in my last full year in an office job, (2002), than I have made any
year since, by a good margin. I also work more hours a week than I ever did in the office. And yet, I feel a whole lot
freer with with my time. Any day is a weekend, if I so choose. I don't commute. No one is telling me to fill out a TPS
report.

I learned a long time ago that I only need enough money to enjoy a modern bohemian lifestyle. I eat out when I want,
I vacation when I want. I see the doctor when I need. I don't need a new car every 3 years, nor a 60" plasma tv,
nor a vacation home in Vale. Jeans from Goodwill suit me just find, figuratively and literally.

And the best part of it all: I play with fire all the time (Ceramics is my primary media. Photography is a secondary
passion, often incorporated with my ceramic art but rarely for standalone.) Firing the wood kiln this week. Quite literally,
stoked.
That is magical, an inspiration.

03-06-2019, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Oh, and if a prospective client just wants the basics, then say "no, I only work with more adventurous clients."
This could mean so many things. In Australia you might get punched in the head.
03-06-2019, 02:27 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This thread reminds me of exactly why I gave up doing photography for a living after a couple of years (a long time ago). Day after day of shooting things that you're really not interested in can take you quite quickly to a place where you can't stand the sight of a camera anymore.

If you can find a way of making a living by photographing things that you would photograph anyway, whether paid for it or not, then you've got the basis of a long-term career. But if you're just doing the photographic equivalent of working an assembly line, you're going to end up hating it.
03-06-2019, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #19

To add some unpopular opinions, i find that money (and social media) mostly corrupts the art process, so i have never done photos for money and every single photo i shared on the web is under Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license. Yes i am fine with random people editing my photos, Yes i do not want them to use it for commercial purposes and Yes i do not plan to ever make money from my photos.

The point is, when i am out there in the middle of a beautiful moss covered forest, i don't have to think about what a client wants, or if the Internet will "like" it.

All i am asking myself is "how do i capture the mood and atmosphere of this place, how do i capture the beauty here?". It's as much creative freedom as i can get.

I have a 3 day 9-5 office job that just pays the bills, but i also have a 4 day weekend, that gives me plenty of time to make photos. I value that freedom and extra time in my life a lot more than any amount of money.

03-06-2019, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i cant begin to thank you all enough for sharing your experiences here, and making me realize i'm not the only one to feel it.
i always questioned fans for hating their favorite musicians for 'selling out' to make a sound that makes them more money.

in my eyes, you either make art that is meaningful to you as an artist, and it feeds your soul. or you sell your product to make money, but it may not be the most creative you can be, thus it may feel stale to you, as an artist.

i do have the utmost respect for those who are able to find a happy medium.

i do have a desk job that i'm happy with. but i rather be creative that my desk job prevents me from being. alas, i continue my search to be more creative in one way or another
03-07-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

The dilemma of making money vs. doing only what you enjoy is not unique to photography. Most people need to make compromises. The only people who can truly do whatever they want are either gifted talent-wise, very lucky, independently wealthy, or live a lifestyle that doesn't need money.

Musicians hired for successful long-running Broadway shows probably didn't get into music expecting to play the same exact set 400 times per year; there's not much room for creativity but the predictable pay can fund other projects. It's not just in the arts, either; auto mechanics, carpenters, etc. Some young person likes cars, maybe they enjoy custom paint jobs or restoring old rustbuckets, and tries to make it a career. There's a limited market for such work so they end up doing more mundane but necessary repairs for money.