Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Forgotten Heritage

This guy takes some great photos, and uses Pentax kit !

Forgotten Heritage Photography

03-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful photos. If the Brits abandon such beautiful buildings, what kind of buildings do thry choose to keep?
03-14-2019, 12:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find the motives an compositions great BUT , in many cases the colors are ugly - maybe too much post processing????
03-14-2019, 02:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Beautiful photos. If the Brits abandon such beautiful buildings, what kind of buildings do thry choose to keep?
As a 'Brit', I couldn't agree more - unfortunately, post-war, with so many buildings in cities either damaged or in ruins, a massive clearance scheme began, further exacerbated in the 1960s when 'forward-looking' councils decided to do away with beautiful stone and brick-built buildings, designed by real architects, and replace them with the concrete and glass monstrosities currently squatting over the land like the spawn of Cthulhu.

Fortunately, various civic societies were formed, whose activities ameliorated to an extent these depredations, but of course when it came down to it money was the deciding factor. We are fortunate that so many photographers recorded these buildings in both their heyday and their decline. It has always struck me as strange that so few politicians live in the kind of buildings that they decided were ideal for hoi-polloi.

03-14-2019, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forgotten Heritage - Home | Facebook

Most recent shoots are on his fb page.
03-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
As a 'Brit', I couldn't agree more - unfortunately, post-war, with so many buildings in cities either damaged or in ruins, a massive clearance scheme began, further exacerbated in the 1960s when 'forward-looking' councils decided to do away with beautiful stone and brick-built buildings, designed by real architects, and replace them with the concrete and glass monstrosities currently squatting over the land like the spawn of Cthulhu.

Fortunately, various civic societies were formed, whose activities ameliorated to an extent these depredations, but of course when it came down to it money was the deciding factor. We are fortunate that so many photographers recorded these buildings in both their heyday and their decline. It has always struck me as strange that so few politicians live in the kind of buildings that they decided were ideal for hoi-polloi.
Interesting, thank you for the background. It seems that here in Ottawa protection of old buildings is taken seriously. A few years ago a wall of an old (by Ottawa standards) building collapsed and the owner wanted to tear it down, but the council would not let him. I think it's been in the courts since then...
03-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Interesting, thank you for the background. It seems that here in Ottawa protection of old buildings is taken seriously. A few years ago a wall of an old (by Ottawa standards) building collapsed and the owner wanted to tear it down, but the council would not let him. I think it's been in the courts since then...
We have the same sort of foolishness going on here in Regina. Most recently a couple bought an old (by Regina standards) home with the intention of restoring it. It didn't take long to discover that the place was a tear down, that restoration wasn't possible. I think it's in the courts now as well.
Sometimes heritage protection just doesn't make good sense.

03-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
We have the same sort of foolishness going on here in Regina. Most recently a couple bought an old (by Regina standards) home with the intention of restoring it. It didn't take long to discover that the place was a tear down, that restoration wasn't possible. I think it's in the courts now as well.
We have it both ways though. A wall of an old building collapsed in the fall. The city told the owner to tear it down, but the owner refused. I think there is some kind of third party involved
03-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
that restoration wasn't possible. I think it's in the courts now as well.
I've seen the same problem where "heritage" groups weigh in on older buildings without regard for the feasibility and practicality of restoration projects. Often these groups want lots of restrictions on other people's property but have no consideration for who might pay for their vague proposals. I always wonder why they didn't try to buy a long neglected building themselves when it was last for sale instead of just trying to curtail a new owner's use of it.