Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #1

Animal calls for wildlife?

Have you ever used a call to attract animals (birds, deer, turkey..) for nature photography?

03-17-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, I’ve used the Merlin Bird ID app by the Cornell Lab that has bird calls.

It has worked several times in bringing small song birds closer to help fill the frame.
03-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Frowned upon here, because it stresses birds - they go into the territorial behaviour that we hope presents them as subjects.

In spring it may even jeopardize nesting behaviour, which is the last thing anyone wants.

But, I confess to having done it several times.

03-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Frowned upon here, because it stresses birds - they go into the territorial behaviour that we hope presents them as subjects.

In spring it may even jeopardize nesting behaviour, which is the last thing anyone wants.

But, I confess to having done it several times.
This.....except the last line

03-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I've done it once; the reaction was immediate and quite vigorous. It was breeding time and the species came out of the bushes to see the intruder. It made me uncomfortable knowing how tenuous a successful breeding is. The female might have left a nest. I haven't done it since. I prefer to be patient.
03-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
This.....except the last line
Well, I've said I wasn't proud, Timb. But it's the only way to get some species out of their cover and onto a fairly predictable dead bush or tree branch if it's five or more metres away.

03-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Pretty much every time we go outside we are interfering with nature in some way. Consider the pros and cons of your interactions and behave accordingly. A minor stress on an animal can be worth the experience of the interaction and the increased appreciation for the species or nature in general. However, it's very easy to rationalize bad behavior so it's always a good idea to talk it out with other nature loving folks so you understand just what lines you're crossing. Conversely, it's easy to condemn every nature interaction and take the moral high ground, in which case you should also live in an enclosed self contained biosphere and never go outside.

I do not outright consider calls to be some kind of evil thing. But avoid - breeding season, birds that are being called by other photographers/birders, sensitive species, and overusing calls. I have about a zillion wild turkeys in my area. Using a turkey call on private property to draw a flock closer every Sunday in March wouldn't be a major stressor. Going to a park where there's a well known nesting owl and playing calls so I and a half dozen other photographers can play paparazzi isn't very respectful of the owl.

I do call at our local frogs and toads (sometimes recordings, but it somehow feels more honest if I'm mimicing their calls myself). It can help get a chorus going. Again, I do limit my time with the frogs to a photo or two before moving to the next subject. Most species of frogs are very tolerant to people sitting closely to them and you can watch their breeding activity up close if you're patient. The benefit? My appreciation for frogs and toads has grown immensely, and I've shared my experiences and photos with hundreds and hundreds of local folk who hopefully view our amphibious friends in a better light.

03-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Birders have been "pishing" birds like sparrows and warblers to get them to pop up out of the vegetation for a long time, but more here in North America than where I first birded in UK. I have used the Peterson "Birding by Ear" recordings on my iPod from time to time, and now the calls in the Sibley app. Best to avoid where there's a higher density of birders and/or where the birds would be stressed. It's not permitted in some parks and other protected areas.
03-19-2019, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #9

Never have, never will. I listen for their calls, I observe their behavior. Some days, I am lucky. Others, not so much. As far as I am concerned, it is their home and we are simply guests.
03-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

For any confused readers, pishing is doing a generic imitation of a chick in distress.

Like a police car with lights and sirens in a neighborhood, it can draw out a number of birds through curiosity and anxiety even though it doesn't actually apply to them.

03-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've seen it described more as a scold or alarm call that birds might make when there is a threat, for example small birds sometimes gang together to mob or chase after crows or owls. It's just sort of a "pishwishwish" sound, sometimes with the odd squeak against the back of your hand. Not something you would do in the presence of non-birders!
03-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Pretty much every time we go outside we are interfering with nature in some way. Consider the pros and cons of your interactions and behave accordingly. A minor stress on an animal can be worth the experience of the interaction and the increased appreciation for the species or nature in general. However, it's very easy to rationalize bad behavior so it's always a good idea to talk it out with other nature loving folks so you understand just what lines you're crossing. Conversely, it's easy to condemn every nature interaction and take the moral high ground, in which case you should also live in an enclosed self contained biosphere and never go outside.

I do not outright consider calls to be some kind of evil thing. But avoid - breeding season, birds that are being called by other photographers/birders, sensitive species, and overusing calls. I have about a zillion wild turkeys in my area. Using a turkey call on private property to draw a flock closer every Sunday in March wouldn't be a major stressor. Going to a park where there's a well known nesting owl and playing calls so I and a half dozen other photographers can play paparazzi isn't very respectful of the owl.

I do call at our local frogs and toads (sometimes recordings, but it somehow feels more honest if I'm mimicing their calls myself). It can help get a chorus going. Again, I do limit my time with the frogs to a photo or two before moving to the next subject. Most species of frogs are very tolerant to people sitting closely to them and you can watch their breeding activity up close if you're patient. The benefit? My appreciation for frogs and toads has grown immensely, and I've shared my experiences and photos with hundreds and hundreds of local folk who hopefully view our amphibious friends in a better light.

At a nearby pond on a warm spring day two Canada Geese came in for a landing, honking and making a racket.The geese already there chimed in as well as all the frogs. It was gloriously noisy for about two minutes as they all reacted to each other. Great fun.

I agree that there aren't hard and fast rules. Unfortunately these things end up being defined by the worst offenders. I wouldn't do it when other people are around for example.

Lovely shot.
03-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve never used a call for wildlife photography. I’ve found that camouflaged near a feeder or other food source can be very productive.
03-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I make various squeaking sounds to try and get a reaction, I've only had luck with cats and squirrels.
03-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I yell, "Hey, birdie, I'm comin' to get ya!". I don't have many bird shots. I once said "Hi, Frankie" to a horse, because that was his name.