Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 11:30 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
The trouble is tagging also takes time. No matter how you dice it, you will spend (a lot of) time filing your images. It could be through self restraint
during capture, (which means you're spending time deciding what not to shoot). It could be in the tagging process, which can pay dividends later
for frequently accessed material but may be a waste for something you may never touch again. It could be the culling process, either immediately
on first review or sometime later. Or it could be when you're trying to find that elusive photo that you are ever so sure you captured in 2005 but
after looking through every folder from that year, three times over, you finally find it in a folder from 2007.
Well its the old adage of "Pay me now or Pay me later". Tagging as you call it can be a batch processed operation which can be very simple and very effective.

03-25-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I keep the lot, including the original SDHC cards, copying the contents of each one to main data HDD after each outing, then two backups of that drive to others. After PP, images go to yet another HDD with the same folder structure, but only one backup of that drive. Best I can do - backups stored offsite with friends. But, as has been said, when I'm gone, who will care ? (In reality, who cares now ?). My photography is a hobby, entirely to please me.
03-25-2019, 01:10 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I keep the lot, including the original SDHC cards, copying the contents of each one to main data HDD after each outing, then two backups of that drive to others. After PP, images go to yet another HDD with the same folder structure, but only one backup of that drive. Best I can do - backups stored offsite with friends. But, as has been said, when I'm gone, who will care ? (In reality, who cares now ?). My photography is a hobby, entirely to please me.
Wow, my scheme looks almost timid in comparison! I'm too cheap to keep all the SD cards!

As to when I'm gone - NO ONE will care (we have no kids). However, I think I have another 20 years or so to enjoy my images (all sorted by date).
03-25-2019, 02:40 PM - 3 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

If I didn’t keep my junk pictures I wouldn’t be keeping anything.

03-25-2019, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If I didn’t keep my junk pictures I wouldn’t be keeping anything.
You too??
03-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I usually do a quick cull of photos before importing them from my card, using Faststone. Once I get them into Lightroom, I try to identify the best one or two shots of a given series and delete the rest.

I still keep all of my old RAW images, just on the off chance that I might go back and re-edit them, but honestly, I never do. I enjoy shooting new photos a lot more than I do firing up an old hard drive to work on images from four or five years ago.

Overall, the issue isn't the cost of memory -- you can get 8 TB hard drives that will just soak up the images -- the issue is one of clutter. It's like having a room with a million objects in it of varying quality. You can never find the image you want later, if you don't delete some as you go.
I totally agree with you. Even though I save "most" of my RAW files now even the 15 shot sequences of aircraft landing that all look exactly alike. Is this some sort of disease we have?
03-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I delete plenty.

With events, where I might take hundreds of shots, I make a quick collection of images with potential and delete the rest before any PP gets done. Then I do some quick and dirty edits and delete another bunch. The remainder get done up pretty, and then I select the ones worth showing to others.

Every so often I go through my library and cull RAW files I know I'm never going to re-edit or print.

03-25-2019, 06:10 PM   #38
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I tend to keep everything. I have a NAS where all the files are copied too (note: I worked as the person maintaining a real disaster recovery solution for an airframe company out here - copies to a external drive is not a "backup"). I used to copy all of the RAW files to one of my other PC's but it ran out of disk. I really need to sit down an burn DVD/Blu-Ray disks of the files.

I have been temped to actually delete things, but it makes me feel woozy. Old habits die hard. When I shot film, if I "removed" all of the bad frames, then my contact sheets would have been single frames. When I show my images to my better half, she chooses images that I would have deleted, so no I ain't deleting much of anything.
03-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You too??
It's very sad.
03-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I really need to sit down an burn DVD/Blu-Ray disks of the files.
No - get yourself some big SSDs. Faster (but not sure about longer - I am convinced some civilization 1000 years from now will have practically zero image/literary artifacts from us because all our storage formats will be obsolete/non-readable). Think about how we can read cuneiform stone tablets from thousands of years ago, and look at cave paintings from 20-30 thousand years ago. Nothing we are doing now will survive that long. I'm even doubtful about your Blu-rays disks.
03-25-2019, 10:26 PM   #41
PDL
Pentaxian

You really think that SSD are going to last all that long?
In my time of using computers I have used:
  • Punch cards
  • Paper tape
  • Magnetic Tape - Reel to Reel, Cassette, 1/4 inch cassettes, DLT
  • Cassette Tape
  • Stringy Floppy
  • Floppy disk - 3.5, 5.25 and 8 inch
  • Hard drives - MFM, RRL, IATA, SATA I-III, SCSI, SAS - refers to interface
  • Iomega - including Zip drives
  • CD, DVD, Blu-Ray and had some association with glass optical drives.
  • Smart Media, MMC, SD, SDHC, SDHX - micro SD
  • SSD
Each of these format/media have either come or gone over the last 40 years. SSD's will go away as soon as the next thing comes down the line. Same for data interfaces, RS232, Parallel, ISA, EISA, Micro Channel, PCI, S-Bus, USB v1-3.1, Firewire, iS400 etc. etc. Just try and find a modern motherboard with a serial port, parallel port or now even a USB-A. These things do not exist and SSD interfaces will go away too. This is the dilemma of computers, by default they are not backwards compatible. We have government systems that are 30-40 years old, you can not port the software from the existing system to new systems.

For example here is story about the airframe manufacture out here where I live. (I was working for them at the time in computer support) All of the documentation (memos not design stuff - that is another can of worms) for older versions of the airframes at the time had been written by the secretaries on DEC proprietary word processors. They had to write their own software to migrate all of those documents to Microsoft Word (Text based version - before Windows) five or six years later they had to convert all of those documents into Word for Windows. Same with spreadsheets (Lotus 123 to Excel) and don't get me started on databases (RBase IV, DBase, Paradox) PC stuff had to be converted to Access (whoa is me). The powers that be wanted to give everyone dumb X-Terminals with huge UNIX servers hidden away in the closet. That effort failed once the bean counters figured out how much it would cost to supply all the worker bees with the equivalent capability of a PC - and convert those files (see the lists above) to something that ran on UNIX. The cost to convert all the data would cost more that twice the value of the company partly due to the processing time it would take to convert from (at the time) MS-DOS programs to UNIX. Add into this that the database, document management (word processors) and spreadsheet programs were very few and very far between in the UNIX world. The model in the UNIX world at that time was software rental (al la Adobe), but the word processor (document management) system cost 5K USD per seat per year. USA (UNIX Server Architecture) died an inglorious death as it was just not cost effective.

Sorry for the diatribe, but thinking that any current technology is going to be available in 50 years, heck even 10 years, is living in a dream land. The best you can do is upgrade to the latest stuff and hope it just does not break. The only way you can assure that your pictures will be available for future generations is to print them on paper, digital images are very fragile and will disappear quite quickly if given half a chance. Add into this that when you go to your great reward, you progeny will most likely throw all your "stuff" out. In 30 years who is going to want to deal with 300 DVD's or 10 hard drives that you can't even attach to what ever device is in vouge?

I am getting too old to worry all that much any more. Remember, there were quite a few greenhouses made with glass plates from the US Civil War once it was over, because people did not want to look at all those images of dead guys laying around in the fields.
03-26-2019, 02:58 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have photos you like and want to keep, scrap book them or, at the least, print them out and stick them in a shoe box. I have a hard time believing that anyone is going to boot up a hard drive I left lying around and start browsing through photos, much less doing any post processing with RAW photos that I shot with a K100.

But certainly the archival nature of photos (assuming good quality paper, inks and storage methods) makes them have much more staying power than many of the computer based archival methods we have mentioned in this thread.
03-26-2019, 03:07 AM   #43
Pentaxian

I use the film era rule: from 36 frames keep 3 (maybe 4).
03-26-2019, 03:45 AM   #44
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nowadays I delete a lot. Typically somewhere between 90-99%. I like the digital age with possibility to shoot a lot and pick the best. I take multiple frames even from static objects, especially hand held, and pick the sharpest one in post.

I import all to C1. Everything that is not processed into jpg after I'm gone thru the session gets deleted. I often also delete the RAWs and jpgs from the shots that are stiched to panorama or Brenizer.

From travel shots I keep shots at higher rate. Maybe around 75% gets deleted.

I used to keep everything, but as I got more active in photography and more careless with shutter button, I realized I had no need for the weaker ones.
03-26-2019, 04:15 AM   #45
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I think there are still some adjustments I've never made and need to. I still shoot like I'm using film with parsimonious use of the shutter button. I think I need to stick it on a high frame rate continuous focus for certain subjects. Perhaps then I'll move more towards deleting ones that don't work.

On a separate note, I notice very few people mention online backups. I used to use them sparingly but a number of players now offer a huge amount of storage for very little money. The one I've just moved to is idrive, 2Tb for about $60 a year. They don't do a full incremental backup but keep up to 10 versions of one file. This is fine for me, plus I can put any number of PC's or phones on it up to my limit. I spent some time doing test backups and restores before i switched and I found it all worked swimmingly. If you're based in the US you can also use their express loading service. They send you a disk, you fill it up and send it back and they populate your first backup. You can do the same in Europe and elsewhere too but the postage cost will add a considerable amount to your initial cost.