Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #211
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John777 Quote
but i go very light and the fuji suits my needs better.
The Fuji is certainly lighter than the K-1. I imagine that the weight difference between the two camera systems would also depend somewhat on the choice of lenses.

I was very disappointed [...] and the lack of new lenses being developed.
Out of curiosity, which Fuji lenses have filled your needs that were not met by the existing Pentax line?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-07-2019 at 01:44 PM.
07-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have not given up on my pentax kit but recently traded in my K1 for a fujifilm xt30.
Shame you couldn't keep K-1,the FUJI is a great little lightweight device.Some great lenses available too.
07-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I’m not throwing in the towel in Pentax yet (after 45 years) but using Nikon and Sony offerings under $2k does make one sigh about the AF. Part of it is SDM, which doesn’t get better with age. As a birder, I do wish the continuous AF could be addressed, because there are many things about Pentax I much prefer.
07-08-2019, 01:50 AM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
As a birder, I do wish the continuous AF could be addressed, because there are many things about Pentax I much prefer.
Some AF tracking algo perf. was addressed on the K1 mk II. SDM issues are 15 years old, but people do remember bad things much better than good things. The other thing I noticed is that people expectations of others are lot higher than what they expect from themselves.

07-08-2019, 06:27 AM   #215

Could not warrant keeping two deprecating cameras. I am very pleased with xt30, the kit lens for £50 extra, the 15 -45 mm, I initially thought would be a stop gap but has proved to be so good I have bought either side of that focal range. I have the zeiss 12mm, stunning colour rendering. Bought the 50mm f2, compact super fast, early days bokeh similar to my wonderful limited 70mm 2.4. Will feedback once more tested. The macro 80mm and 1.4 tele converter simply stunning.
07-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #216
Pentaxian

Could not warrant keeping two deprecating cameras. I am very pleased with xt30, the kit lens for £50 extra, the 15 -45 mm, I initially thought would be a stop gap but has proved to be so good I have bought either side of that focal range. I have the zeiss 12mm, stunning colour rendering. Bought the 50mm f2, compact super fast, early days bokeh similar to my wonderful limited 70mm 2.4. Will feedback once more tested. The macro 80mm and 1.4 tele converter simply stunning.
Yet we have no examples.

The fact that you find the photos stunning, means I'd like to have a look at them to see if you actually have something there. But, also the fact you find them to be stunning doesn't mean I or anyone else will.

For all I know you have a very low "stun" threshold.

I regularly visit photography exhibits, even among those participating, I rarely find the images to be "stunning". Yet those photographers decided they were worth hanging on a wall for sale. I'm happy you are so satisfied, but it's no guarantee I would be.

Last edited by normhead; 07-08-2019 at 07:28 AM.
07-08-2019, 07:24 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I regularly visit photography exhibits, even among those participation, I rarely find the images to be "stunning".
Blind test reveal that the brand names has a placebo effect. Once in a while I browse images of 500px and I try to guess what camera was used, 99% of the time I fail to guess what camera was used, and often I discover that stunning photographs aren't taken with famous camera models, and I often discover that famous camera models take dull images. It is even very difficult to guess from image what was the camera format used. In the end, the photo depends a lot of what's in front of the camera and who is behind the camera. Fuji have a thing that they tweak a lot their OOC jpegs, so a lot of entry level users find Fuji images look great. Portraits with Fuji look great (without pixel peeping) because Fuji processing waxes skins (looks great zoomed out, but looks blotchy when zoomed in). But if you take the raw files from both Fuji and Pentax, I find Pentax to be slightly on top, especially compared to x-trans. I was always tempted to get a Fuji X camera for the retro style and film emulations, but I found that the built quality isn't as good as Pentax, tilt-able display in the Fujis are all flimsy, I didn't like X-trans and Fuji X flagship bodies are more expensive than Pentax equivalent... so I'm still there.

07-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Blind test reveal that the brand names has a placebo effect.
Yay, I catch myself every now and then slipping into that. We all know it.
Yet some get so upset when you point it out it might be happening.
07-08-2019, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #219
Pentaxian

Yet some get so upset when you point it out it might be happening.
What happens is, customer own Pentax (or other brand) gear from five years ago, they decide to switch to another brand and they buy the latest model, and "Oh magic" the newer brand (actually newer model) compared to the old brand (five years old camera model) is a lot better. Eureka! The new brand is a lot better. If you want to compare Pentax to Fuji, you've got to compare a KP images with XT30 images, instead of comparing K7 images to an XT30 for example. For autofocus it's the same story: they going to tell you "Oh but Pentax (K30) AF sucks, I just bough the latest model from brand B and it's great", only to forget that they compare Pentax AF of five years ago to other brand AF of year 2019. Never mind.

---------- Post added 08-07-19 at 16:39 ----------

The site that I've found the most useful to compare images side by side is Imaging-resources. Side by side, same test target, same camera settings, Pentax is more or less state of the art for both crop and full frame.
07-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #220
Veteran Member

Some AF tracking algo perf. was addressed on the K1 mk II. SDM issues are 15 years old, but people do remember bad things much better than good things. The other thing I noticed is that people expectations of others are lot higher than what they expect from themselves.
My favorite lens for birding, the DA*300, has SDM, and it has never been updated with a faster, more reliable version. It seems to be in the process of failing, as some of my other SDM lenses have. This is not history, but present. This lens is a huge winner with which I have taken tens of thousands of photos, but it needs updating with the newer DC focus and a focus limit switch would be nice, as well. The ability to acquire a moving subject is the camera, (K3) but it is difficult to tell how much of the AF speed issue is an SDM issue, even when it is working.

The expectations are the result of having used competitive products. Companies don’t survive by falling behind That being said, there are things I write about those products that are based upon expectations formed by using Pentax. I see nothing unreasonable about those expectations, either. I expect of myself that I will keep up with new developments.

Last edited by GeneV; 07-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.
07-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #221
Pentaxian

My favorite lens for birding, the DA*300, has SDM, and it has never been updated with a faster, more reliable version.
Yes, Ricoh Imaging made the D-FA 150-450 , sure it's not a 300 prime, but it's got faster AF motor, reliable, AF limiter and AF preset / memory, it's sharp and heavy. I had the DA*300, optically great, but a struggle for AF I replaced it with the Pentax 150-450 and AF reproducibility was night & day. I track BiF with the DFA150-450, and posted images here but people were kinda denying the results I posted, I could have posted 500 BiF tracking images from the DFA150450 they'd still deny it worked.
07-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #222
Pentaxian

The expectations are the result of having used competitive products.
Buy them. We don't care. Pentax is Pentax and will probably aways be Pentax. What you don't like about them now, you won't like about them 15 years from now.

It's not about using competitive products in the slightest. It's about appreciating what those products do and not appreciating what Pentax does. Please, end the misery. It's leaking onto the forum.

I'm using an updated K-3 with the DA 55-300 PLM, I have no complaints.
07-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy them. We don't care. Pentax is Pentax and will probably aways be Pentax. What you don't like about them now, you won't like about them 15 years from now.
LoL Norm....still giving great "Head" after all these years......but you are quite right....In fact, "You're bloody well right, You've got a bloody right to say" (with apologies to Supertramp)....
07-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #224
Pentaxian

Fuji X flagship bodies are more expensive than Pentax equivalent...
Yes, its good that people can buy a "flagship" body for U$1399(apsc) as opposed to ZERO!
07-08-2019, 04:42 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Yes, Ricoh Imaging made the D-FA 150-450 , sure it's not a 300 prime, but it's got faster AF motor, reliable, AF limiter and AF preset / memory, it's sharp and heavy. I had the DA*300, optically great, but a struggle for AF I replaced it with the Pentax 150-450 and AF reproducibility was night & day. I track BiF with the DFA150-450, and posted images here but people were kinda denying the results I posted, I could have posted 500 BiF tracking images from the DFA150450 they'd still deny it worked.
I don’t doubt that it works better. The 150-450 is huge though, in comparison to the 300. It seems like little to ask that the 300 be updated a bit. It was unique among other offerings. Nikon only recently offered something similar—at twice the price. It is a great opportunity to keep this advantage, but I can’t say what the economics are for Ricoh.

---------- Post added 07-08-19 at 04:44 PM ----------

It's not about using competitive products in the slightest. It's about appreciating what those products do and not appreciating what Pentax does. Please, end the misery. It's leaking onto the forum.

I'm using an updated K-3 with the DA 55-300 PLM, I have no complaints.
Let’s never have a thread where we ask for anything. The only thing that is leaking is venom from someone I once respected.
Closed Thread