Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
James, I shot predominantly with my K5 since 2012 and until I was so lucky to win the K-1II. With the K-5, I found, for fast moving subjects, that centre point only focus seemed to work best. With the K-1II, it's too early for me to say which works best - centre point only, or centre 9.
When I was photographing from our deck yesterday with my KP, I started off using center-9 because it made composing easier, but when I switched to center-1 it felt faster to me {but both were so fast I didn't want to waste my time timing focus}. Are you saying better focus or faster focus for center-1 on the K-5?

04-08-2019, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #122

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tongue in cheek doesn't always work on the internet, I learned the hard way.

Someone once posted an wide angle of a chubby cheeked baby, and i commented that was a pretty fat faced kid. I was commenting more on the framing and the amount of real estate his face took in the frame, and the distortion caused by putting a wide angle up in someone's face. I was known for the next 2 years as the guy who insulted other people's babies. Thank god that's over with.
LOL..funny story, and yes, good point. There are times when I go back and re-read some of what I wrote and it does come across as "a**holish" I'll admit, but in truth, never intended for it to be perceived that way.

Anyway, this thread has probably run its course. Many thanks to those who provided constructive feedback. It's much appreciated.

My takeaway from all this is to try and work within the confines of the system; if I find something deficient, then to analyze my particular technique at that juncture and attempt alternate methods to see if the results improve.
04-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I was photographing from our deck yesterday with my KP, I started off using center-9 because it made composing easier, but when I switched to center-1 it felt faster to me {but both were so fast I didn't want to waste my time timing focus}. Are you saying better focus or faster focus for center-1 on the K-5?
I think faster and, for sport, more likely to have the right person in focus.
04-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
My takeaway from all this is to try and work within the confines of the system; if I find something deficient, then to analyze my particular technique at that juncture and attempt alternate methods to see if the results improve.
There's never a shortage of people here to help you with that.

04-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter

Point well taken Mike. But, I should have you know right now that I'm Ford man if we're going to go down that road.
That explains much😁😁😁
04-08-2019, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #126
Pentaxian

I use manual focus pretty much exclusively.
04-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is what I was trying to say in my post above. I have a dozen camera bodies film to early digital to current models and I rotate them and the respective lenses depending on what I wish to accomplish. Also, try using infinity and try stepping down with higher ISO speeds...the K-1 and KP in particular can easily handle 3200 with low noise and 6400 with PP clean-up. A fast shutter will also slow down the action; use the Pentax manual override/tweaking many lenses have and I know you will see difference.

04-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #128
Pentaxian

That is what I was trying to communicate - I'm sorry you thought I was challenging your competence.
04-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #129

Original Poster
That is what I was trying to communicate - I'm sorry you thought I was challenging your competence.
No apology necessary. Like normhead said, it's sometimes difficult to ascertain one's true intent or meaning over the internet.
04-09-2019, 04:32 AM - 3 Likes   #130
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No apology necessary. Like normhead said, it's sometimes difficult to ascertain one's true intent or meaning over the internet.
It's the internet's biggest failing... actually, a problem with all electronic communications - text messages, e-mails, social media, forum discussions... If we were all sat in a pub with a beer, talking things over, our disagreements would be enjoyable banter 99% of the time. But when you can't see someone's face, can't hear the tone of their voice, it's so difficult to judge each party's intentions. I think we all mean well, (almost) all of the time
04-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #131
Pentaxian

I should have you know right now that I'm Ford man if we're going to go down that road.
We have something in common!
I've been driving a "Blue Oval" for eight years now.
Attached Images

04-09-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reh: I agree with Marcjeerling on this one: the single point center is faster on the K-5 ii, as it hunts less. I use my 50-200mm and 50-300mm SMC lenses on the K-5ii because it sems both come form the same time period and while I can't prove this, it appears that the K-5ii makes these lenses shine. Again, tghat is purely anecdotal but that's what it seems like.
04-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Reh: I agree with Marcjeerling on this one: the single point center is faster on the K-5 ii, as it hunts less.
That's why Imaging resources times for single point are the fastest. As soon as you go to multi-point, focus conformation takes almost twice as long.
04-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #134

Original Poster
We have something in common!
I've been driving a "Blue Oval" for eight years now.
My first car was 62 Fairlane 500. Bought it for $300 bucks from a neighbor. I've had various different Fords since then; mostly Mustangs. Had a Ranger once as well. My last Ford was a 2008 Expedition limited that I kept for almost 10 years. I only got rid of it last February when the transmission started popping out of gear. It was a good truck.

My cousins in Australia have Falcons with the inline turbo 6. Great cars; wish they would have brought those stateside.

04-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter

My first car was 62 Fairlane 500. Bought it for $300 bucks from a neighbor. I've had various different Fords since then; mostly Mustangs. Had a Ranger once as well. My last Ford was a 2008 Expedition limited that I kept for almost 10 years. I only got rid of it last February when the transmission started popping out of gear. It was a good truck.

My cousins in Australia have Falcons with the inline turbo 6. Great cars; wish they would have brought those stateside.
You poor boys.
Fix Or Repair Daily.
And yes, you are being trolled.
Full disclosure, I drive a Nissan diesel half ton.
Mock away....

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-09-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Closed Thread