Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 155 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
With every system, Canon, Sony, Nikon, pick your poison, selecting more squares impedes subject acquisition, possible tot he point with wildlife that you never achieve a focus lock. Some top cameras are as much as 3x slower with their famous 39 or 56 squares selected at focus acquisition than a Pentax is with single point acquisition. There is a price to be paid for enabling AF tracking, and it's missed images in some circumstance, those where single point would have nailed an image that tracking would have missed.
I not only agree with Mark and Norm on this, I usually use a single point in many situations. With certain wide angle lenses, the sharpness of the image is not solely based on the single focus point but the entire area that encompasses same. I therefore, am able to speed up my quantity (and arguably) quality of pictures in a single setting. A single point is similar to the Leica rangefinder in the center of the screen, wherein the center focus is maintained throughout the shot (given your aperture and ISO settings)

04-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If I understand you correctly, what you're describing is the functionality where you can select the number of focus points you'd like the camera to use.
Per this page of the manual: (From the K-3II manual, but the K-3 manual is the same)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. This functionality is where you tell the camera which focus points to use.
Okay, I just photographed examples of what I'm referring to. It really is simple. I just don't use the autofocus mode when white squares are shown on the screen here.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
04-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #168
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Okay, I just photographed examples of what I'm referring to. It really is simple. I just don't use the autofocus mode when white squares are shown on the screen here.
I figured that is what you were saying, re: white and red squares. Below is the explanation.

When displayed all white, the squares are the zone you want the camera to choose an AF point from when in AF.S or AF.C.

When displayed a zone of pink with one point red, that is the display used expanded area select in AF.C. The red point may be user selected and is the focus point of preference. The pink points show the range of points the camera might choose should a tracked subject move away from the red point.

Both will give good results, just remember that the pink display is AF.C only and that the red point has been selected by you with the camera possibly using one of the others. When all white, the camera selects.

Steve

(...I generally leave the back display off and use the top LCD and viewfinder for such stuff...)
04-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

When displayed a zone of pink with one point red, that is the display used expanded area select in AF.C. The red point may be user selected and is the focus point of preference. The pink points show the range of points the camera might choose should a tracked subject move away from the red point.

Both will give good results, just remember that the pink display is AF.C only and that the red point has been selected by you with the camera possibly using one of the others. When all white, the camera selects.

Steve

(...I generally leave the back display off and use the top LCD and viewfinder for such stuff...)
I almost exclusively shoot in AF.A or AF.C. Red or white squares are possible in either mode with my K-3. What I should say is I’ve had problems with autofocus with the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 “when” I’ve used white squares. After testing both sets of squares indoors, my suspicions were confirmed. Please just take my finding and test it yourself.

04-11-2019, 10:31 AM - 1 Like   #170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I almost exclusively shoot in AF.A or AF.C. Red or white squares are possible in either mode with my K-3. What I should say is I’ve had problems with autofocus with the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 “when” I’ve used white squares. After testing both sets of squares indoors, my suspicions were confirmed. Please just take my finding and test it yourself.
Use the settings that give the behavior you desire. I use almost always use the following since they suit my style and needs.
  • AF.S (focus priority)*
  • Spot center point**
..but those fit my needs. You might want to rethink AF.A.

Steve

* I seldom need continuous focus, but for those people who do, expanded area select might be a good option, especially when custom menu settings for AF.C are dialed in.

** The center column focus points are higher precision when paired with faster lenses.
04-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #171
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for clearing that up!
05-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #172

User proficiency certainly adds to AF performance. Just about a week ago I went to see a friend and tried his Canon 6D. I took rubbish pictures with it as it was probably the first time I tried a Canon camera. I did not know what and how to use. Got me a good deal of time to get close to the desired results.
The whole system felt awkward and counter intuitive to me after using Pentax for so many years. So I guess knowing your gear adds a lot to what you can do with it.

05-12-2019, 04:06 AM   #173
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
he whole system felt awkward and counter intuitive to me after using Pentax for so many years. So I guess knowing your gear adds a lot to what you can do with it.
Indeed....equipment alone can not make the image...I also enjoy the ergonomics of Pentax, but also use Leicas frequently--occasionally when I haven't used a certain body for a period of time, I will have to review my user protocol for that kit...It's even true with lenses that you haven't used in awhile. I think everyone at some point becomes frustrated with their kit, but just like we, as humans have good days and bad days, the camera as an extension of one's self, reflects the mood as well.
It's analogous to golf. I can play the same clubs for years and some days my driver is straight as an arrow and others, well let's not dwell on that either. Equipment with human interaction, no matter how automated still has the human touch on it.

Last edited by Merv-O; 05-12-2019 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typo
05-12-2019, 06:20 AM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
In that same vein, why would Pentax bother including AF in their K1-II then? Or, make grandiose statements in their product literature as to how fast the DC motors in their premium fast lenses are? I'm only asking these questions (with as much tongue as I can fit into my cheek) as the devil's advocate.
And what's the difference between that and trolling?
05-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #175

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And what's the difference between that and trolling?
Well in this case, I actually own and use the system I was criticizing, so I don't think it qualifies as trolling.

05-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #176
Pentaxian

Well in this case, I actually own and use the system I was criticizing, so I don't think it qualifies as trolling.
Seems like an odd distinction to me. Almost enough to get you on my ignore list.
The jury is still out on that one.
05-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #177

Original Poster
Seems like an odd distinction to me. Almost enough to get you on my ignore list.

The jury is still out on that one.
That of course is your prerogative, but if everyone on earth simply ignored others because of a difference in opinion, then what does that say about us as a species?

And I thought this thread was done and over? Why continue to agitate yourself over a dead horse?

Have a nice Mother's Day!
05-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #178
Pentaxian

That of course is your prerogative, but if everyone on earth simply ignored others because of a difference in opinion, then what does that say about us as a species?

And I thought this thread was done and over? Why continue to agitate yourself over a dead horse?

Have a nice Mother's Day!
It's not over a difference of opinion. It's about deliberately insincere posting and whether I want to spend time on it.

You certainly don't need my input to enjoy your time on the forum. So have a nice day.
05-12-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #179

Original Poster
It's not over a difference of opinion. It's about deliberately insincere posting and whether I want to spend time on it.

You certainly don't need my input to enjoy your time on the forum. So have a nice day.
I was never insincere in my posts. Opinionated, yes. Perhaps wrong in the sense that I initially asked more out of my K1-II and lenses than the good Ricoh engineers in Japan intended, given a certain photography style and expectation. That I'll freely admit, and was thus educated by the good folks on this forum. It's clear the K1 is an awesome field camera. For fast action sports-type photography, it isn't.

Insincere though? Nope. Won't cop to that.

Look man, I don't know you from Adam and it's apparent you don't like what I've written for whatever personal reasons you may have. You're free to ignore and chalk me up to one of your ignoramuses lists of you so desire. Won't hold it against you, I promise.

In the meantime, I'm trying to alter my techniques to work better within the confines of the system; and I think I'm getting there. It's still no match for something like an A9 as far as AF accuracy goes, but at least I'm no longer constantly disappointed. instead, I'm working harder to find creative means on improving my keep rate with the gear in hand.

06-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #180
Pentaxian

Pentax is well known for their often and beautifull updates - that makes Pentax Camera in the lead
--

LOL
Closed Thread