Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Prescott Valley

Hi All,
anyone live in/near Prescott Valley Arizona?
I have just been scammed on the sale of my 16-50 lens!
Simon
Melbourne Australia

04-11-2019, 04:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear this. Did you sell through the forums or somewhere else? Did you use PayPal? Normally you as the seller are in the drivers seat. Payment received before product shipped. So it’s usually the buyer who gets burned.

I believe The Forums are based in Arizona but don’t know what they could do to help.
04-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
No worries, just frustration set in. All the false paperwork was Paypal, but they said that the transaction didn't go through them so too bad. I contacted Gumtree the local site, they said contact the police, somehow I don't think they are able to help. So no one can do anything. I suppose if a DA*16-50 comes on the market from that area ....
Sorry for the rambling.
Simon
04-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simowills Quote
No worries, just frustration set in. All the false paperwork was Paypal, but they said that the transaction didn't go through them so too bad. I contacted Gumtree the local site, they said contact the police, somehow I don't think they are able to help. So no one can do anything. I suppose if a DA*16-50 comes on the market from that area ....
Sorry for the rambling.
Simon
Just a helping hand!

I would report it to your local fraud team: Online fraud and scams | Australian Federal Police

If you filled in fraudulent paperwork with your personal (banking) info they may target you for more than the price of the lens! I would definitely follow up on it!

Last edited by SharkyCA; 04-11-2019 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Update
04-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #5

Do you have the Serial Number? In this area we have a tv station that has an online classified section that is used by many of the states in the Intermountain West Area.
The web address is
Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com
I will keep an eye out for this lens.
Sorry about your loss.
04-12-2019, 04:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
Just a helping hand!

I would report it to your local fraud team: Online fraud and scams | Australian Federal Police

If you filled in fraudulent paperwork with your personal (banking) info they may target you for more than the price of the lens! I would definitely follow up on it!
Hi Sharky, I have been to the scamwatch website and reported the scam. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Hi SP500, I am going through my old receipts from CR Kennedy, I had the lens checked and repaired after a focus problem a few years ago. There may be a serial number on the invoice.

thanks all

Simon
04-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simowills Quote
Hi Sharky, I have been to the scamwatch website and reported the scam. We'll see if anything comes of it.

Hi SP500, I am going through my old receipts from CR Kennedy, I had the lens checked and repaired after a focus problem a few years ago. There may be a serial number on the invoice.

thanks all

Simon
Nothing ticks me off more than a thief, in 2009 I had an email account hacked and they got information on some rewards cards I had, they tried cashing in on the points ordering gift cards to their home address and I was able to track them down and sent the police knocking on their door! More than 6 people at the address so they couldn't nail the bast&** but I got all my rewards back, such a hastle is what really pis()0 me off!

04-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Sharky,
yes very frustrating and annoying. A couple of things that make the situation worse I found out the address and phone numbers for the local Post Offices, and because the tracking system works, I knew where in the delivery process I was, I knew the parcel with my lens would be in the Post office Saturday morning. So I sat up till 3.00 am so as I could call the USPS and try to get some help. To find out they, according to the internet, don't open till 10.am. Rang both the local Post Offices to hear recorded messages, no one there/answering the phones. Then got a message that the parcel had left the delivery depo at 9.30am. Them later today got the message from USPS that the parcel had been delivered and signed for by the person nominated at the address. So for all intents and purposes the lens is gone. But as a last time wasting effort. I have a friend who lived in NY, I am going to contact another mutual friend that still lives there and see if they can get the phone number for the person at the address with my lens. I might ask them to please kindly send my lens back as I know who they are, where they live and hopefully their phone number.