Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 112 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #106
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
FWIW: Ricoh still had them listed as an Authorized Riicoh/Pentax dealer for a couple years after they closed.
They have Pro Photo Supply in Portland listed and that store has never been a Pentax dealer.

Steve

(...pet peeve of mine...half the stores on their list for the NW are either no longer in business or are not dealers...)

04-17-2019, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #107
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So it may, or may not be, organized labour, eh?
Knowing Henry's it's unlikely they were organized, but you never know.
04-17-2019, 12:04 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’ve spent the last year or so trying to learn enough about tripod legs and Arca-Swiss compatible heads and plates to make a good decision about a new support setup for K-1 and long K lenses, plus possibly repurchasing the big DFA lenses. Do I just buy RRS and Wimberley and be done with it or is that overkill? Which legs? How many plates and which ones? What questions am I not asking? I could post a Query here and lots of people would answer, but it is likely the thread would devolve into a set of opinions and I’d be no better off than when I started.
Yep that's where a B&M store can really help you out. Bring in your long lens/lenses and try them out on various tripods/heads.

Phil.
04-17-2019, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't know where you're getting this from, TA - Internet advertising is very expensive, it's how Google got to where it is.

You can make the content cheaply, but no one will watch it or even know about it.

Did you know that this website, Pentax Forums, has had its own YouTube channel for years?

I rest my case!!!

Existing channels that people actually know about and subscribe to and click Like or Comment are operated by so-called Influencers (like Kim Kardashian or Tony Northrup). You have to cuddle up to them with benefits/cash. It's really not straightforward, and you're only using an intermediary if you're not also paying for a commercial (like SquareSpace or whatever do).
It is far cheaper than television or print (unless it's a tiny, obscure journal). And there's lots of ways to get your info out onto the web. Ricoh and its subsidiaries already have websites---they just aren't populating them with material that would make you visit more than once every six months or so. And where are these "Ambassadors" and their websites?

I work at a museum, and I can tell you that our budgets for advertising are so low they might as well be nil. But our social media team has done a great job building our brand and increasing our visibility, leveraging basically everything we do and every mention of us or our director as content that can be pushed out---and this is then picked up by both content providers and aggregators, which then feeds the team with more they can assemble and push out. It's a great loop, actually. And we just won an award for our new museum app, which includes content from curators and artists that can be accessed while moving through the museum, and that app has social media outreach.

This can be done. But it requires the will to do it.

04-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
It is far cheaper than television or print (unless it's a tiny, obscure journal). And there's lots of ways to get your info out onto the web. Ricoh and its subsidiaries already have websites---they just aren't populating them with material that would make you visit more than once every six months or so. And where are these "Ambassadors" and their websites?

I work at a museum, and I can tell you that our budgets for advertising are so low they might as well be nil. But our social media team has done a great job building our brand and increasing our visibility, leveraging basically everything we do and every mention of us or our director as content that can be pushed out---and this is then picked up by both content providers and aggregators, which then feeds the team with more they can assemble and push out. It's a great loop, actually. And we just won an award for our new museum app, which includes content from curators and artists that can be accessed while moving through the museum, and that app has social media outreach.

Yeah, Twitter & Instagram are the top 2 social media sites that they could fully utilize on the cheapish side, compared to printed ads/tv ads.
04-17-2019, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #111
Loyal Site Supporter

It's in a sad state even in The States, as I understand it, TA - Another Big Camera Store Fails: Why Are So Many Closing?

If Canon are right, how many shops will survive if the number of ILCs sold annually halves from where it is now? That'll mean a corresponding dropoff in lenses and accessories, BTW, just with a lag time.
Well, I would say that the situation is a bit more complex than the linked article suggests. For one thing, the last example, Ritz/Wolf is a suspect one. Few of their stores were very good, and many were paying top dollar per sq ft in malls, yet the stores were poor and staffed with not so knowledgeable people. The Atlanta and California examples are indeed cautionary, but here in the mid Atlantic Baltimore-Washington area we have several quite successful stores---one in the DC area is relatively new and up and coming. These stores are doing relatively well, all things considered.

MAP is definitely a problem, and has been for some time---all dealers will tell you this. The sales tax issue is starting to ease, as noted in comments above. I'm an advocate of taxes, btw. It's how roads, bridges, sewers, public transportation, police and fire departments, and a number of other items associated with civilization are funded. I kinda like those things, personally. The problem I have with the U.S. is how taxes can fluctuate so wildly from state to state, often very unfairly.

But the article only barely touched on the major elephant in the room: hard realities about demographics, with a layer of economics thrown in, and a very unusual sales curve. From the demographics standpoint, camera sales rose along with baby boomers reaching peak earning and with their having families. That's coupled with the go-go '90's economically, and also major improvements in electronics and manufacturing, pushing prices down. All of that created a great sales environment, and it peaked with digital almost asymptotically. If you look at camera sale going back a few decades, we are still higher today than the late '80's/early '90's I believe.

But now this demographic is ageing out, and moving past peak earning and consumption. Toss in some flatlining of middle class income growth, and the worst economic disaster since the great depression, and one which followed the dot com crash and a recession, and it's actually surprising sales are as good as they are. And these macro forces have forced many millenials to put marriage and babies on hold---following a trend in older mothers in the '90's. But they will have families, and so will the generation just behind them, and they are large demographics. I expect we'll see sales rebound a little in several years.

The thing is, the boom in digital was just that----a boom, and booms are not the normal business climate. But everyone is talking about the rolloff of sales as though that boom was normal. There was nothing normal about it, for a variety of reasons.
04-17-2019, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

It's in a sad state even in The States, as I understand it, TA - Another Big Camera Store Fails: Why Are So Many Closing?

If Canon are right, how many shops will survive if the number of ILCs sold annually halves from where it is now? That'll mean a corresponding dropoff in lenses and accessories, BTW, just with a lag time.
It's not just camera shops. More retail stores have said they were closing in the US in just the first third of this year than in all of 2018 (Retail apocalypse: More store closings in 2019 so far than all of 2018 - Business Insider).

Online shopping is killing a lot of B&M stores because it's too easy for customers to check things out in the store and then buy online for less (and too hard for B&M stores to match all the selection of products online).

04-17-2019, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote

I am the Treasurer of the Board of Trustees of a historic House Museum (a National Historic Landmark). The most effective marketing we’ve ever done has been Facebook and Instagram, tied to our website, usually promoting our Lectures, Exhibits (traveling and rotating our extensive collections) and mini-Events. Our Admissions are growing 50% annualized, Membership 40% and ‘digital touches’ rapidly. We receive unsolicited inquiries from significant influenceers in the preservation community who have tied us into their networks, which feeds our traffic and theirs.

This has only happened because, having raised capital, ro build an Education Center next to the historic house, we hired a Director with the vision and energy to start marketing digitally and hire young people with degrees in Historic Preservation and Curatorial Management to create these synergies. Success requires a story to tell and the will to tell it consistently, repetitively and creatively.

We’eve only been at this for 18 months and don’t think we.ve even scratched the surface of the opportunity.
04-18-2019, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #114
Pentaxian

I recently bought a new Ricoh GR ll. I registered it online and among the usual questions was one that asked me how I knew about the product and Ricoh listed a number of possibilities and then a blank space where I can fill in, if my experience comes under 'other'.

Possibilities include magazines, newspapers, TV, online, friends, camera retailers, etc...can't remember them all or exactly...but the Ricoh questions were similar to what I recall, when registering other non photographic products.

Under 'other' I wrote in the Pentax Forum as that is the source I used to get the great bulk of my info regarding the Ricoh GR series and the GR ll in particular.
So aside from kudos to the Pentax Forum for being an invaluable source, it also got me thinking about how things have changed for me, when buying camera equipment over the 50+ years I have been involved in photography.

Initially In '68 my info came from photography pros (that were work colleagues), camera stores and photography magazines. From the '70's through to around 2010 or so, it was still photography magazines (Popular Photography, Shutterbug primarily), friends, Pentax Forum, online and camera stores.

From then on, it has been mostly the Pentax Forum, other online photography sites, camera stores, friends...but little and since 2017...no... photography magazines at all.

Mostly it's online, although I still buy from camera stores as I want to support their existence in my community...and also, get extended warranties. But I can see the day coming when camera stores won't be here and where I will be purchasing new camera equipment, online only.

So the fact that Ricoh/Pentax doesn't advertise in traditional forms such as magazines/newspapers/ Tv, etc...I'm not sure that's important anymore. I get very few magazines, none which are photography magazines, newspapers are online and I don't recall much camera adverts on them at all...TV I mostly watch cable, don't really watch what used to be called the major broadcasters anymore.

If I want to find out about any subject...vehicles, cameras, clothes, etc....I go directly online and look at a variety of sources.

Reminds me, how things must of changed back in history when 'news' access, went from Town Criers and itinerant peddlers...to... the printed word ...sheets...newspapers...after Gutenberg developed the printing press (15th century) and the ability to read became more commonplace. Revoloutionary especially for those of us who live during these...some may say..seismic changes.
04-18-2019, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I just phoned Downtown Camera on Queen Street in Toronto and spoke with the salesman I usually work with. They have a K-1 II in stock as well as a good selection of other Pentax bodies and lenses. Did you go there? I have been dealing with them since 1975 and have always found them to have a good selection of different brands as well as a wide range of second-hand stock. I was there last Friday, and they appear to be carrying even more stock than on my previous visits. I do not find the stock at Henry's or Vistek to be as extensive.
Have been to Downtown camera many times. At one point considered purchasing my K1 there. There was no display model to hold and they would not match the lower promo price that a henrys grand opening store had. Also went down once to purchase a lens and sales person made an error, the lens sitting beside the Pentax display was a used one. Aden camera also has several lenses in their display case. Unfortunately not very knowledgeable on Pentax and sold me a non-full frame lens. Had to go back and explain their staff made an error. Only store I know of with large stock and some knowledge...close to Ontario....B&H NYC.

---------- Post added 04-18-2019 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So collecting out of state sales tax is a bit of a scam like airport 'duty free'. They do not charge for tax, but instead of discounting the price by that amount, reduce the price a bit and pocket the difference as higher profit.
It is now US federal law to collect the tax. B&H are following the law that was now clarified. Adorama and others have decided to not follow the law. One store may lose some customers and eventually a federal bureaucrat may figure out what the other store is doing.

---------- Post added 04-18-2019 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by When I decide to shop for my next camera, I would hope to be able to hold it and play with it before committing to the purchase. Having a local retail outlet would be convenient, [I:
but not essential.[/I]

Craig
So when you want to buy...say a K1 , and maybe take out an extended warranty....and buy a lens or two....and no one has one to actually hold in the stores in your area....and you have to specially order and pay ahead of time....what are you going to do? If you are not a loyal Pentaxian, just an average consumer...you would move on to Nikon or Canon. If you love Pentax cameras you may have to purchase it unseen . Unfortunately independent reviews are usually biased against Pentax, and only source is this forum.

Solution- Ricoh...allow us to buy directly from your website at a price that beats everyone else....and allow a full return policy.
04-18-2019, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #116
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am the Treasurer of the Board of Trustees of a historic House Museum (a National Historic Landmark). The most effective marketing we’ve ever done has been Facebook and Instagram, tied to our website, usually promoting our Lectures, Exhibits (traveling and rotating our extensive collections) and mini-Events. Our Admissions are growing 50% annualized, Membership 40% and ‘digital touches’ rapidly. We receive unsolicited inquiries from significant influenceers in the preservation community who have tied us into their networks, which feeds our traffic and theirs.
EXACTLY what I'm saying.

QuoteQuote:
This has only happened because, having raised capital, ro build an Education Center next to the historic house, we hired a Director with the vision and energy to start marketing digitally and hire young people with degrees in Historic Preservation and Curatorial Management to create these synergies. Success requires a story to tell
Indeed, our experience exactly---a new Director provided some new energy, and several programs, one in particular, really put some wind in our sails. Ricoh Pentax has also had these successes!
QuoteQuote:
and the will to tell it consistently, repetitively and creatively.
and there's the rub...why must Ricoh-Pentax keep their successes in hiding? There's plenty to blow their own horn about, as we know. It seems like they are waiting for others to blow it for them. Somehow I don't think that will be Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Panny, or Fuji

QuoteQuote:
We’eve only been at this for 18 months and don’t think we.ve even scratched the surface of the opportunity.
I assure you, you haven't! You should be excited. Congrats!
04-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #117
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
There was no display model to hold and they would not match the lower promo price that a henrys grand opening store had.
The copy of the K-1 which was at Downtown Camera when I phoned was boxed; although in the past they have had a display model which I got to handle. Meeting Henry's promotional price is another matter; although they did meet Henry's lower price on my K-5 II, but that was when it was being replaced by the K-3.
04-18-2019, 06:14 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been to both Aden Camera and Downtown Camera. Aden I wasn't overly impressed with regarding the treatment from staff. Downtown Camera was a little better.
Now, regarding Henry's, I've been to a number of Henry's locations and they've all said the same thing regarding Pentax.
They see a Rep from Sony, Nikon, Canon pretty consistently every other month or so. They haven't seen a Pentax Rep in years. No education on the products, what sets them apart from the rest, what's unique, it's selling points, nothing. So they don't stock the products. It's hard to sell products when you don't know the ins and outs of HOW to sell the product. And without a rep to explain anything, you'll never be in a position to sell the product over another product that you have knowledge about. A buddy of mine did ask a manager at Henry's about their high pricing compared to other dealers and they said Henry's will match any pricing from Canadian dealers including Amazon.ca and beat it by 10%. The prices advertised at Henry's aren't even their actual selling prices, just the MSRP. If you call or go in and talk to them, they'll give you the actual price (which is not advertised). At least this was my friends experience when he chatted with one of the managers.
04-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #119
Veteran Member

At Henry's the price on their website is the price you will pay. For Pentax products...good luck trying to get a discount. For a Nikon or Canon bundle of items...you can probably negotiate a small discount. Price matching....for most of the Toronto camera stores it has to be an in stock item...usually only applicable to Amazon Prime because the other sellers can be anyone selling an item at any price that may not even be in stock.
04-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
At Henry's the price on their website is the price you will pay. For Pentax products...good luck trying to get a discount. For a Nikon or Canon bundle of items...you can probably negotiate a small discount. Price matching....for most of the Toronto camera stores it has to be an in stock item...usually only applicable to Amazon Prime because the other sellers can be anyone selling an item at any price that may not even be in stock.
My buddy thought the same thing regarding the price you pay until he actually said something about it. Then it was a lower price, then he matched and they reduced by 10% of that price. If he didn't say anything, then of course he would have paid the full asking price. Besides, it's more profit for them so why not go with the MSRP and hope nobody asks/raises a stink? I don't agree with it by any means. But my friend has gone to both the Steeles Ave location and the Downtown Toronto Church St location and got the price down to less than what their price showed before he matched from another dealer plus the extra 10%. He's called Mississauga and they've confirmed the same thing. They advertise the price as per MSRP but it's not in fact what they're selling price is/should be. I'm just saying what I know, that's all. Maybe my friend is a secret hypnotist, I dunno.