Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #16
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you ever have the inkling to see this sort of stuff in the UK, try out the Mach loop in Wales:
Mach Loop - UK Low Level Flying by Military aircraft - MachLoop.co.uk

For airplane/fighter junkies it looks pretty cool.

04-17-2019, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #17

Back in the early '80s, we were offshore fishing near a naval practice range and we had forgotten to check the "Notice to Mariners". All of a sudden an A6 came zooming by and dropped a large elongated can flare about a mile from us and it exploded emitting red smoke . Almost immediately a 4 unit group of F14s appeared as dots way above, broke into two pairs and swept down like a rocket, flared their wings forward, and simulated strafing the can multiple times while looping and rolling. Then as quickly as they arrived they flared straight up, moved their wings back in the process and hit afterburners and rapidly became small dots again. We took our fingers out of our ears and to a man went "damn what a show!". My Dad was in the group and he was a Navy WWII vet (served 1939-1945) and a Gunners Mate first class. He served in the N Atlantic before the Pearl Harbor attack and then in the Pacific. He was at Saipan, Tinian, Gaum, Okinawa, and a bunch of atolls in between (Soloman & Marshall Islands). He commented that those sure weren't the old prop fighters from his time!! I would have hated to be the target of their efforts when prosecuted with extreme prejudice!

JB
04-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

At the end of the last Flight Fest the F-14 on display, had to fly back to its base in California. The plane took off and did a fly over at Boeing field about 200 ft above the main runway with the wings full forward. They flew around the field again and about half way down the runway he swept the wings back, went vertical with after burner and disappeared straight up. Pretty cool and this was after walking around with my young (at the time) son slipping our fingers into the barrel of the cannon on a A-10, rubbing the belly of the Dash-80 and walking through the cargo area of a C-5A and enjoying military/commercial aircraft up close.
04-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #19
Pentaxian

This is pretty cool. Does anyone know if they do this year round, or is it more of a summer activity?

My wife an I were in Death Valley for a week a few years ago and hiked along this canyon a bit with no awareness of this. I would have been quite surprised if I would have seen a jet fly in below us.

On a side note, when I saw the title of this thread I was initially thinking about a few other areas in Death Valley where George Lucas actually shot some parts of Star Wars (mostly a New Hope). A few small scenes from Tatooine actually come from Death Valley (as opposed to Tunisia where I think a lot of scenes were shot).

04-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
This is pretty cool. Does anyone know if they do this year round, or is it more of a summer activity?

My wife an I were in Death Valley for a week a few years ago and hiked along this canyon a bit with no awareness of this. I would have been quite surprised if I would have seen a jet fly in below us.
From what I understand from reading various sites, it's somewhat random based on what the pilots want to do, although there is an air space controller, that the pilots check in with prior to making a run, so that there are no accidents. The air space is a controlled military exercise area. Apparently, it's pretty hit and miss, little activity on Sundays, with the peak between Tuesday and Thursday, year round.