Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2019, 04:45 AM   #1

3d effect

Hello, I need advice. I found a photo where the girl was vaping and e-cig created a smoke cloud. The photo looked promotional I saw it on a vaping site Vapingdaily, but the photo was processed like a 3d effect and this cloud ... I loved it so much. Now I want to make something like that, for myself, I don't want it to be a promotional photo. And there is a problem I have no e-cig for the fume production)))maybe you know how to make the same effect on the photo using Photoshop and it looks like a cloud of real smoke. Thank you!

04-27-2019, 05:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fran96 Quote
Hello, I need advice. I found a photo where the girl was vaping and e-cig created a smoke cloud. The photo looked promotional I saw it on a vaping site Vapingdaily, but the photo was processed like a 3d effect and this cloud ... I loved it so much. Now I want to make something like that, for myself, I don't want it to be a promotional photo. And there is a problem I have no e-cig for the fume production)))maybe you know how to make the same effect on the photo using Photoshop and it looks like a cloud of real smoke. Thank you!
It would help if you could point us in the direction of it, preferably the picture itself rather than a link to it!
04-27-2019, 05:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Do you speak about this photo?

It's been bought on Fotolia.

Anyways, let's focus on your problem.

3D effect is given by the lens, depth of field shall be thin but sufficient, background shall be far away, bokeh shall be creamy.

Smoke can be simulated by many photoshop actions, brushes and plugins.
Corel particleshop is an excellent plugin that enables painting with fire, smoke, fireworks etc.
You also can check this link: Real smoke plugin photoshop brushes download (22 photoshop brushes) for commercial use. format: abr
04-27-2019, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that's the photo, I personally don't see any 3d effect. To me that smoke looks 2d.

04-27-2019, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If that's the photo, I personally don't see any 3d effect. To me that smoke looks 2d.
I agree. On the other hand, the model's face is very nicely rendered, with a certain three dimensionality to it.

But on top of all that, this is the OP's first post in the forums. Specifically promoting a vaping website. Do I detect the odour of a rodent?
04-27-2019, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think some people conflate subject isolation with "3D". They are not the same.
04-27-2019, 08:32 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think some people conflate subject isolation with "3D". They are not the same.
This is so true. I have a few lenses that will render that way on occasion and when it happens, I am usually pleasantly surprised. While related to subject isolation and foreground "pop", it has unique characteristics of its own. It appears to be a combination of moderate DOF, Good contrast, decent bokeh at moderate apertures, and composition to accentuate near-far; oh, and it is good to have a subject with obvious 3-D characteristics (i.e. depth). Of the lenses I use, there are a few that deliver in that regard with my KMZ Helios 44M 58/2.0 being at the top of the list.

Pentax K10D, Helios 44M 58/2.0

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2019 at 08:41 AM.
04-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's also what I think. Leading lines (perspective) transverse to the DoF make the subject (part in focus) pop out of the frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Pentax K10D, Helios 44M 58/2.0
The stem in that case is a leading line, gradually blurred , creates the 3D effect.
04-27-2019, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I think many lenses with 'soft corners' can give the illusion of 3d pop. Just one of many examples of how a 'flaw' can
be put to good, creative effect.

(That is a bizarre photo, one that I don't personally find appealing. It's not the matter of smoking, but the thickness
of the smoke, the fact that she's blowing it through her nostrils and forever frozen in time. It looks as much like she's
blowing grey milk through her nose.)
04-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's also what I think. Leading lines (perspective) transverse to the DoF make the subject (part in focus) pop out of the frame.

The stem in that case is a leading line, gradually blurred , creates the 3D effect.
Interesting observation. Overlap works too as do non-perspective "leading" features.

Here is another where perspective might be involved...

And couple where overlap is obvious

The 3-D on this one might be enhanced somewhat in post by applying a gradient to make the background "recede".

And one where there are leading lines/features, but without obvious perspective references

It seems there is more than one way to approach this, some of which may be enhanced by appropriate post-processing...give the subject "pop" and do magic to make the background recede. This thread is providing some grist for the mill.

Steve

(...did some enhancement in PP yesterday that inadvertently worked to create greater 3D effect...LINK...)
04-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
(That is a bizarre photo, one that I don't personally find appealing. It's not the matter of smoking, but the thickness
of the smoke, the fact that she's blowing it through her nostrils and forever frozen in time. It looks as much like she's
blowing grey milk through her nose.)
That was my thought too! Gag!

Steve
04-27-2019, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But on top of all that, this is the OP's first post in the forums. Specifically promoting a vaping website. Do I detect the odour of a rodent?
...nope, just chocolate spice potpourri with a hint of patchouli...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2019 at 11:22 AM.