Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like my cars the way I like my cameras...Japanese...

My Honda wasn't even assembled in the US, the 2013 Fit was the last model manufactured in Japan. The Fit has been assembled in Mexico since the 2015 model...

05-04-2019, 02:04 PM   #47
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't really know what other brands offer and I don't care. I haven't looked elsewhere after I chose Pentax for the IQ and value it offers.

And that was even before I found the world of vintage lenses. I'm finally starting to understand a little bit about the old lenses Pentax has to offer. I really don't want to start again with new system of which history I know nothing about

Also no for mirrorless. I like my viewfinder optical.
05-04-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

I have too many K mount and M42 mount lenses to switch to Nikon or Canon. It is getting tough as far as bodies go. My K-x has developed a crack in its base plate. A used one from ebay will be more than I paid for the camera! To keep it going, I use duct tape to hold the battery door closed. Don't knock it, I used black duct tape to match the camera.

My K200D is still working well. In good light the old school CCD sensor still delivers the goods. Sadly it sits in the bag a lot these days.

A new KP would be nice but they are very, very expensive in South Africa. I am thinking of getting a used K5 or K3 but there is no pressing need.

You see, I have to confess joined the dark side. I own a non-Pentax mirrorless camera. A Samsung NX1. With a Fotasy K mount adapter. This gives me the best of both worlds. Modern(ish) sensor with live view and classic glass. Love it!
05-04-2019, 03:53 PM - 3 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I won't switch from Pentax:

1) The FA Limiteds
2) The DA Limiteds

05-05-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why I'm happy with my Pentax kit and not interested in switching brands:
  • After several years of using my K-3 II, my camera is as comfortable as a well-broken-in pair of jeans that fit perfectly.
  • I know the features, controls, and quirks of my camera.
  • I'm happy with the APS-C 'sweet spot'.
  • I love my DA Limiteds
  • I love my vintage lenses -- Takumars, K's and M's.
  • I've got my post-processing pipeline well tuned to my camera and lenses.
You know, my camera is sort of like a couple of my workshop hand tools. My cordless drill is not the biggest or most powerful; the battery is only 2 AHr; and it doesn't have a built-in level. But -- it fits my hand like a glove; it's really well balanced; I know it's stall torque; and I have a second battery. Something to be said for keeping a tool you know well.

- Craig
05-05-2019, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'd like an F250, but they don't fit in parking bays here.
I did have a F100 years ago. Was a lovely truck - just thirsty.
I’d like an F250-600. But it won’t fit in my closet.
05-06-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’d like an F250-600. But it won’t fit in my closet.
I bid on one once in an RCMP auction, it was one of their surveillance lenses. Nothing that's happened since has convinced me I would have done anything but sell it. And it went over market value, so it would have cost me money. You have to watch those on-line auctions carefully.

Last edited by normhead; 06-24-2019 at 09:28 AM.
05-06-2019, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M42s
Limiteds
Size of body
Build quality vs sonycanicon
General fantasticness

And lest we forget

This forum, Adam and all you brilliantly supportive pentaxians
05-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #54
Forum Member

used to think selling my pentax K70+18-135 just to get A6300 with just ....the crappy 16-50 kit len XD (my caculation of my limited budget)
A6300 really has quite attractive price now, after the introduction of A6400

i love crop APS-C, but what really let me down is how overpriced Sony crop lens, but average on optical and build quality if compare to Pentax (less prices but great values offering - the cheap, compact WR zoom, the cute solid metal limited lens and how special color, contrast rendition)

the video mode 4K is pretty cool, but what the point when my laptop is not enough specs and storage to hold the video files, and mostly my purpose is uploading for showcase on social media

Autofocus speed isn't really matter much for me, pentax is fine

okay, pentax, you really win my heart, once again!
05-29-2019, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #55
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Fix Or Repair Daily. First On the Rubbish Dump. Yup. Some of us like them.
Hi Mark
They have it all wrong........Found On Rich Driveways......'nough said

Go Holden

Dave
06-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #56
Pentaxian

No other brand supports APSC like Pentax does.

DA* 11-18, DA* 50-135, DA* 60-250 and the DA Limiteds. How could any other company compete? I almost have too much choice.
06-24-2019, 09:15 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
No other brand supports APSC like Pentax does.

DA* 11-18, DA* 50-135, DA* 60-250 and the DA Limiteds. How could any other company compete? I almost have too much choice.
There's the 11-18 and 20-40 released since I stopped buying APS-c lenses, I'm really missing out.
06-27-2019, 04:05 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I am actually starting over. Long story short - here is my coming back thread from last week -

I'm back - maybe...... - PentaxForums.com

Starting over made me really think. There were lots of times over the years that I wished I could have access to all the aftermarket goodies that are available to Nikon and Canon users. I've been with Pentax since my switch to digital which was...I don't remember when...

I don't have the opportunity to hold any cameras in hand. But I did once about 10-12 years ago when I was in a small city for a doctor appointment - spotted a small camera shop. I held a mid range Nikon and Canon body in my hands. It was the feel that got me - just so plastic feeling if that is a thing.

As I said in my post in the linked thread, I was very tempted to get the Canon 80D bundle. I really struggled with this - I read reviews for days. A couple that stood out for me were ones that said with a heavy lens the camera body actually creaked. I love my heavy DA* lenses.

I lovingly remember the feel of my K5IIs - just so solid in my hands. And the "feel" of the shutter I also remember. Just so solid I guess I want to say.

Getting older now I am more and more resistant to change. So in the end I went what was familiar to me and bought a used K3 and DA* 60-250. I received it yesterday. The first "feel" of picking up the camera out of the box made me know I made the right decision.

Yeah - the Canon had lots more focus points and a flippy LCD touch screen. But if it would feel like junk in my hands I would never have gotten very far with it. I wish I had the money to buy the Canon bundle anyway just to feel it in my hands but that is not the case.

So I'm back to stay I guess. I hope Pentax continues forward.
06-27-2019, 04:20 AM   #59
Pentaxian

As much as the over-thinker in me has gone 'is Pentax the right choice?', I can't afford the hassle, time, effort to change brands. For the prices I've paid throughout for my camera gear (under £650 total - K-S2, 18-50mm WR, 18-135mm WR, DA50, SMC-A 50/1.7, SMC-A 28/2.8, SMC-M 135/3.5, 32Gb SD), I'd like to think I've got a lot for my money and that other brands wouldn't have given me the same value for money.

There's also the learning curve herein, even with menial things like menus, that I can't be bothered to re-learn.
07-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's the 11-18 and 20-40 released since I stopped buying APS-c lenses, I'm really missing out.
Apsc has a long way to go imo.