Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Local Canadian source for JIS screwdrivers - Canadian Tire

For those Canadians looking for JIS screwdrivers:

Canadian Tire carries a "specialty precision electronics bit set, 66 piece", which includes small slotted bits and four JIS bits, among other useful bits.

Mastercraft Specialty Precision Electronics Bit Set, 66-pc | Canadian Tire

The usual price is less than CAD $40, and sometimes the kit is on sale at half price.

I don't own the set myself, so I can't comment on its quality. It's branded 'Mastercraft'.

- Craig

05-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh cool, thanks!!
05-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Having checked your link it would appear that the set is currently on sale for half price (i.e. $20 CDN).
05-07-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
For those Canadians looking for JIS screwdrivers:

Canadian Tire carries a "specialty precision electronics bit set, 66 piece", which includes small slotted bits and four JIS bits, among other useful bits.

Mastercraft Specialty Precision Electronics Bit Set, 66-pc | Canadian Tire

The usual price is less than CAD $40, and sometimes the kit is on sale at half price.

I don't own the set myself, so I can't comment on its quality. It's branded 'Mastercraft'.

- Craig
I bought this set a year or two ago, also on sale. I used it to tighten a loose screw on a SMC-Takumar M42 mount lens that I later sold, so the set paid for itself. I recommend this set. The quality is vastly superior to the low-end sets of "precision" screwdrivers that are so ubiquitous. The latter don't have JIS drivers anyway. The 66 piece Mastercraft set was also the only set with JIS heads that I could find in town (St. John's). For $20 it is a steal because it has so many different types of heads that come in handy around the house, and the heads won't break as easily as the low-end sets.

05-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I bought this set a year or two ago, also on sale. I used it to tighten a loose screw on a SMC-Takumar M42 mount lens that I later sold, so the set paid for itself. I recommend this set. The quality is vastly superior to the low-end sets of "precision" screwdrivers that are so ubiquitous. The latter don't have JIS drivers anyway. The 66 piece Mastercraft set was also the only set with JIS heads that I could find in town (St. John's). For $20 it is a steal because it has so many different types of heads that come in handy around the house, and the heads won't break as easily as the low-end sets.

Thanks a lot for the heads up! I've reserved the set for pick up later today.
05-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canadian tire is great for when things like this come on sale!
05-07-2019, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #7

I don't know what the quality or warranty is like on those tools, but if you're looking for a reputable alternative with a lifetime warranty that is easy to order online, I'd recommend the Ifixit Mako driver set. They're commonly referred to a the "best value" tools for those looking to buy tools for-life at a decent price.
They have a Canadian website with prices in CAD, however with added shipping costs, but if you have Amazon Prime you can buy the same sets for a slightly higher base price and no added shipping. If you wait for sales though, the website usually has limited quantities of bundled items at a really good price.

05-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
I don't know what the quality or warranty is like on those tools, but if you're looking for a reputable alternative with a lifetime warranty that is easy to order online, I'd recommend the Ifixit Mako driver set. They're commonly referred to a the "best value" tools for those looking to buy tools for-life at a decent price.
They have a Canadian website with prices in CAD, however with added shipping costs, but if you have Amazon Prime you can buy the same sets for a slightly higher base price and no added shipping. If you wait for sales though, the website usually has limited quantities of bundled items at a really good price.
That's the set I own, and it's fantastic. Excellent quality, finely-finished and well worth the money. But this set from Canadian Tire looks good for those who want to drop by and pick something up at a store...
05-07-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
I'd recommend the Ifixit Mako driver set.
That's the set that I bought after having read the report by @BigMackCam. I'm happy with it -- besides using the JIS bits extensively, I've also used the kit to defeat several 'security' Torx screws on a small kitchen appliance (repaired and working now) and a couple of other miniature screws.

Had I known about the set at Canadian Tire, I probably would have bought that one instead, especially at a sale price!

For completeness and interest, I might mention to our international friends that Canadian Tire is a Canadian icon, dating back to 1922. With some 500 stores across Canada, they sell much more than tires, and deal in automotive parts and accessories, sporting goods, kitchenware, home decor, hardware, tools, garden stuff, etc. Their weekly sales flyer (delivered in paper copy to many households) often features great stuff at up to 70% off.

Hope you don't mind the sales pitch.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-07-2019 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typo
05-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #10

Awesome, thanks for the heads up, gonna pick up a set tomorrow
05-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

bought the kit a year ago, well crafted, covers just about everything you need.
01-29-2021, 07:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Want to follow up here. I bought this set, and foolishly gave it away as a gift to a fellow nerd at Christmas time. It is well put together, I'm just waiting for it to come on sale again.
01-29-2021, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Want to follow up here. I bought this set, and foolishly gave it away as a gift to a fellow nerd at Christmas time. It is well put together, I'm just waiting for it to come on sale again.
Hehe.

Listen, if you have any other little Canadian Tire goodies to give away, I can guarantee that I qualify as a nerd, and would be happy to pick up at your curbside. I know that Christmas has passed, but I'm sure I could find another reason for gift-giving. I am in need of a couple of hand tools.

- Craig