Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2019, 02:50 AM   #1

tools / multi-tools for the camera bag

Hello,

My collection of individual accessories for the camera bag is growing and I'm collecting more and more Allan keys, screw drivers, threaded adapters and wrenches.
I'm tired of carrying a ziplock bag bag full of individual tool bits.

Has anyone come across that perfect tool, or mult-tool for the camera bag?

Is there such a thing or has somebody found something that works just as good?

Thanks.

05-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

They make compact multi tools for cyclists. I would look at things like these and find out which one suits more.

By the way I am not in any way a representative of the maker of these tools presented here. Just googled for pictures, but there are loads more out there to choose from.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zivelot; 05-09-2019 at 03:46 AM.
05-09-2019, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my advice is to figure out what you need in the field as opposed to what you might use at home

I went for the basic

split ring with a flat head and hex wrench on it

A13 Photographers Multi-Tool 5/32 (4mm) Allen Wrench Hex and Flat Head Key Chain Tool

Photographers Multi-Tool 5/32 (4mm) Allen Wrench Hex and Flat Head Key Chain Tool

available from several sources including Amazon
05-09-2019, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I have a very old Swiss Army knife which has been a permanent member of my camera bag since the film days. I also carry a Leatherman multi tool knockoff just about everywhere.

05-09-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have a very old Swiss Army knife which has been a permanent member of my camera bag since the film days. I also carry a Leatherman multi tool knockoff just about everywhere.
I grew up carrying a small pocket knife and " graduated " to multi tools

I no longer carryi anything since so many locations now ban any type of weapon and often there are metal detectors and many multi tools have blades of some sort

years ago, I was ready to enter the National History Museum in Washington DC and realized that my multitool had a blade and would be detected by the machine. there was no storage area so I looked around and hid it in a planter.

luckily it was still there when I left. It was an expensive Gerber multi tool

planning ahead is, at times, not my strong suit
05-09-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote

Another vote for Swiss Army knife.
05-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I grew up carrying a small pocket knife and " graduated " to multi tools

I no longer carryi anything since so many locations now ban any type of weapon and often there are metal detectors and many multi tools have blades of some sort

years ago, I was ready to enter the National History Museum in Washington DC and realized that my multitool had a blade and would be detected by the machine. there was no storage area so I looked around and hid it in a planter.

luckily it was still there when I left. It was an expensive Gerber multi tool

planning ahead is, at times, not my strong suit
I'm not one to frequent places with metal detectors so I've never paid much mind. When I fly, my camera bag goes in my checked luggage and my camera and whatever lenses I am bringing go in my carry on bag. Mostly when I go into a museum, I leave the camera bag behind. I have a couple of bad discs in my neck and carry as little as necessary. My multi tool is usually in the saddlebag of my Harley or in one of the storage compartments in the car. That said, my old Swiss army knife has never been an issue.

05-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by midnightvisions Quote
Has anyone come across that perfect tool, or mult-tool for the camera bag?
Probably there's nothing perfect for everyone, but this Smallrig Folding Multi Tool seems to check a lot of boxes.
05-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a fan of the NiteIze DoohicKey. It's the size of a key, weighs nothing, but is a perfect flatblade screwdriver for tripod plates. Plus it's a carabiner, tiny ruler, wrench, bottle opener. And it costs $3.90 in Amazon.
05-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An option to look at is the Tread by Leatherman. It is a multitool bracelet that you wear. It contains about 29 different tools. I have one and use it often. It goes through metal detectors and x-ray machines fine because it does not have a blade. It does have a small cutter. I work in county courthouses and have had no problems getting it through. Except that the law enforcement people stop me to look at it and ask a lot of questions. I have taken it through airport security several times.
05-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to make a suggestion [ I hope no one minds ]:

why don't folks who are suggesting solutions to the OP's question go to the Accessories section of the forum

Miscellaneous - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

and post a thread indicating their suggestions and review them?
05-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I recently bought an item from 3 Legged Thing and it came with a free Toolz, a wee multi-function all-round photography tool, with a keyring, hex key, coin key, bottle opener and carabiner.
Attached Images

05-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #13

Original Poster
Lots of ideas, thanks for the suggestions guys.
05-12-2019, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Leatheman Micra in my (film) camera bag, and another one in my fishing tackle box.
Tiny and unobtrusive - you can attach it to your key ring - yet those scissors are absolutely killer.

Chris