Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2019, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Professional Photographer wannabe

If you spend $600 or more to buy a Canon camera you will be a professional, according to this article. I spent more on my Pentax gear, does that make me a professional? What if I spend that on baseball gear, will a professional team recognize my great talent and seek me out? No, there must be more to it.

Canon Now Including 'Professional Photographer' Certificate With All Cameras Costing At Least $599 | The Babylon Bee

05-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Funny but I think they published it two days too soon months late, it's dated March May 30

Last edited by aaacb; 05-31-2019 at 05:55 PM.
05-31-2019, 05:28 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Canon also assured customers that if the photography doesn't work out, they can always go back to selling essential oils."
05-31-2019, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somehow I thought a professional is one that "makes" money with a camera rather than "spends" money on one.

05-31-2019, 11:26 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Before people embarrass themselves with earnest criticism of the concept - the article is satire!

I particularly liked that the certification now allows you to do engagement shots where the couple does the piggyback pose.

06-01-2019, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Meanwhile Pentax is going to start giving away a free Chicken Licken toy with every camera. Press a button on the back and it runs around squawking: "We're doomed. We're all DOOOOMED!!!"
06-01-2019, 02:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Press a button on the back and it runs around squawking:
sorry, was that the toy or the camera?

06-01-2019, 03:00 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
Somehow I thought a professional is one that "makes" money with a camera rather than "spends" money on one.

Well, if you make more money than you've spent, then you can call yourself successful professional photographer

06-01-2019, 03:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a satire site, but I did find it amusing. There certainly is a grain of truth where a certain number of people when they get an SLR immediately think they are ready to launch a photography career. Part of it is that the people around them are often telling them how good and professional appearing their photographs are.

I am on Facebook a bit and I am amazed by some of the photos that show up there -- out of focus, odd filters, tilted horizons -- that get tons of likes and comments about how amazing they are.
06-01-2019, 04:03 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I am on Facebook a bit and I am amazed by some of the photos that show up there -- out of focus, odd filters, tilted horizons -- that get tons of likes and comments about how amazing they are.
I’ve asked you before to stop stalking my account
06-01-2019, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I would prefer a certificate that identifies me as an amateur photographer. On more than one occasion I have been mistaken for a professional (what with the expensive looking gear) in situations like street scenes and landscapes, not in regular tourist places, and some people have not liked it. For example they can seem to assume I am working for a debt collection agency or something and I'm valuing their property. It helps to assure them that I'm just a nutty amateur taking random pictures.

Funny how "amateur" was once regarded as a superior description to "professional" - as in Victorian cricket the amateurs were referred to as the "gentlemen" and the professionals as the "players". Hence the title of the "Amateur Photographer" magazine, established 1884.
06-01-2019, 08:03 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I would prefer a certificate that identifies me as an amateur photographer. On more than one occasion I have been mistaken for a professional (what with the expensive looking gear) in situations like street scenes and landscapes, not in regular tourist places, and some people have not liked it. For example they can seem to assume I am working for a debt collection agency or something and I'm valuing their property. It helps to assure them that I'm just a nutty amateur taking random pictures.

Funny how "amateur" was once regarded as a superior description to "professional" - as in Victorian cricket the amateurs were referred to as the "gentlemen" and the professionals as the "players". Hence the title of the "Amateur Photographer" magazine, established 1884.
Well, a professional was lowering himself to take a picture desired by clients, while the amateur was free to just do what his/her little heart desired.

I shot the wedding of a niece a while ago. Being a professional is degrading work.
Everyone is always telling you what to do, and amateurs always want to tell you how to do it better, ad nauseam.
Can't they see you'e busy?
06-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Being a professional is degrading work.

Yes it is, most of the time :-)
06-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Yes it is, most of the time :-)
At least I got to ride around with the limo driver all day. We were pretty good friends by the end of the day.
06-01-2019, 06:26 PM - 5 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the Canon and immediately returned it without taking a shot. That qualified me to be a retired professional photographer, which qualifies me to be a consultant. For a small fee, I will suggest to you which other Canon gear you need to grow your business.