Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2019, 05:39 PM - 12 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 315
A Proper Goodbye to Pentax

About 2 years ago, I posted a thread on here that I was leaving Pentax. But from that time on, I was still using my Pentax gears for all my personal work and rent Canon /Sony for some client works.
A few months ago, I decided to buy into Sony's system with the A7r III. I haven't been using my Pentax kit since then and I'm about to post it on the marketplace.
So this is the real goodbye to the brand and community that helped me become a photographer.

My first camera was the Pentax K100D. I bought into Pentax in 2009 after I stumbled on Ben Kanarek's work which led me to this forum. Below is the only photo I have left from using that camera.

K100D, Takumar 135mm


I then made the jump to the Pentax K-7. That was the first time I felt like I could actually do photography for a living. I used to live in Central Florida and drive down to Miami to shoot models.

K-7, FA77mm (all three shots)


I switched to the K-5 once I felt like the K-7 was limiting my work. That probably was a lie back then but buying it wasn't a bad decision.

K-5, DA 40mm (left), FA 77mm (right)


I bought the K3 right after I moved to NYC in 2014. That was when I started to take photography seriously. A majority of my work with this camera was for fashion magazines and my personal projects which ended up in many fine art publications.

K-3, FA 77mm (left) | DA 40mm (mid) | DA 40mm (right)


I almost gave up on Pentax after the K3 to move to a full-frame system. Then the K-1 came out. I bought one in late 2016 and thought it was the perfect camera until I started doing jobs that were requiring tethering. This camera has been responsible for my best work so far. Same with the FA 77mm. I would say 70% of the photos in my current portfolio were shot with that lens/camera combo.

K-1, D FA 24-70mm (left) | FA 77mm (right)


I'm now shooting with Sony exclusively. The A7RIII has been the most impressive camera I've ever used. But it still doesn't have that Pentax feeling in my hand. If someone getting in photography ask me for camera recommendation, I'll most likely still recommend Pentax (with a few caveat)... I hope Ricoh keep investing in the brand... Big thanks to this community for existing and for being nice when I used to post on here years quite a bit... And keep shooting!

06-02-2019, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,800
@EdMaximus,

Your various Pentax kits have certainly served you well and your images certainly show your skill.

Best of luck in your future endeavours, whatever you shoot with. Take care.

- Craig
06-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California
Posts: 41
I have a Sony alpha 7 III and a K-3 and have got some really nice shots out of both cameras.
I always pull out the Pentax when I donít want to have to think like an engineer to figure out the user interface.
With the Pentax, I find it easier to think like an artist. The Sony shots seem to be more technical somehow.
06-02-2019, 10:29 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,708
Here is the evidence of fantastic images taken with Pentax cameras. IMO switching brands is mostly a commercially influenced thing and emotional decision.

06-02-2019, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
HYS
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 361
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Here is the evidence of fantastic images taken with Pentax cameras. IMO switching brands is mostly a commercially influenced thing and emotional decision.

Yes, I think so either. I have D800, K-3 and K200D and all of them make me happy.
06-03-2019, 06:01 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,579
QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Yes, I think so either. I have D800, K-3 and K200D and all of them make me happy.
My signature photo below represents my current Pentax commitment. I also use Leica equipment (kit) but I will always have Pentax at this point. The Leicas produce a soulful color and beautiful imagery and classic experience, but when I want more avant garde technology and range, the Pentaxes are always there. Case in point, took recent trip to Wine Country, shot over 1,000 pics in 3 days, Camera? KP....recently went to shoot some photos of a farm with prancing horses: camera of choice? K-1.....Ed Maximus feels he needs to move on, I respect his decision. I thought about it too. But the ergonomics, quality of build, and interface of the Pentax DSLRs keeps me in the fold. Speed is plentiful on the K-1 and KP if your technique is solid. The slightly older bodies in my arsenal work well too. Not to mention weather sealing; the reason why my Leica kits can stay at home in any harsh weather.

If you're on this Forum, you don't need a morale boost. I'm simply stating that if you took great photos with a K-100D in 2008, great photos in 2013 with a K-5 and great photos in 2019 with a K-1, then the chances are you will shoot great photos with anything (even Sony, LOL)--you've reached a professional skill level. Good luck to you Ed Maximus. Perhaps we'll cross paths again someday.

Last edited by Merv-O; 06-03-2019 at 06:03 AM. Reason: typos
06-03-2019, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 132
Fine work! All the best with your future career, you've amply demonstrated it's the photographer that counts in the end. btw, I love the alligator/cayman? shot.
06-03-2019, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,132
Good luck with your career. With Winder (weddings) LeRolls (fashion clothing promotion and yourself, all leaving, it should be clearer to folks, it's not the best camera for that type of work. Hopefully some of the guys hoping for industrial type performance in costly shooting environments (or paying their models) that have to maximize their shooting efficiency should avoid them. If you're paying for studio time, it doesn't make any sense to be waiting for that K-1 buffer to clear itself. For those of us shooting as a hobby, those kinds of things aren't so critical.

Don't abandon us completely. we do like good images.

06-03-2019, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Goldsboro North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 443
I firmly believe that the right camera for you is the one that blends technical proficiency and ergonomics into a tool that inspires you and doesn't get in the way of the creative flow. Sometimes it's the 'pixie dust' sprinkled on the camera that makes you know it's the right gear for you. Hey, Sony sells a lot of cameras for a good reason, right? I hope your new rig lifts you up to even loftier photography heights than you've already attained.

If I'm not mistaken, my K-5IIs has a Sony sensor. I bought it after reading all the glowing reviews about image quality, among other things.
06-03-2019, 02:13 PM - 3 Likes   #10
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 40,461
QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
A Proper Goodbye to Pentax
Good luck on your new equipment route.

Many here, myself included tend to run multiple brands and formats... in fact whatever it takes to get the job done.

In fact I'm quite surprised for you as a professional, for all of the cost of a K1 and a FA 77mm is nowadays, why you don't just keep 'em, especially when such a high percentage of your portfolio was based on this pairing.
06-03-2019, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,708
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Good luck with your career. With Winder (weddings) LeRolls (fashion clothing promotion and yourself, all leaving, it should be clearer to folks, it's not the best camera for that type of work.
You are being so seriously humorous. Benjamin Kanarek dropped Pentax for the phase detect AF performance, he said something like "moving from Pentax to Nikon feels like a relief after going to the restrooms" but now he is saying only good things about the GFX50 that has an AF system more lousy than the PDAF of my Pentax K200D more than decade ago.... go figure. Artists aren't like scientists and engineers, they are inherently very sensitive to style and brand image, which often dictate their choices.
06-03-2019, 09:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 315
Original Poster
So I made this post thinking it would help make it easy to put up all my Pentax gears for sale. I was dead wrong. Are all you guys working for Pentax ? Even my girlfriend is telling me I should try to keep the K-1 now.

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@EdMaximus,

Your various Pentax kits have certainly served you well and your images certainly show your skill.

Best of luck in your future endeavours, whatever you shoot with. Take care.

- Craig
Thanks mate.

QuoteOriginally posted by rekrabm Quote
I have a Sony alpha 7 III and a K-3 and have got some really nice shots out of both cameras.
I always pull out the Pentax when I donít want to have to think like an engineer to figure out the user interface.
With the Pentax, I find it easier to think like an artist. The Sony shots seem to be more technical somehow.
The ultimate reason why it's been so hard to get rid of Pentax has been cause it always feels intuitive in my hand.
It took me a few months to get the hang of holding the A7RIII. And overcoming the menu was the most daunting task.
Things got easier after I program settings in the camera for the three shooting scenarios I use the most and I also bookmarked my frequently used menu items.
Now I have to figure out things for video settings.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Here is the evidence of fantastic images taken with Pentax cameras. IMO switching brands is mostly a commercially influenced thing and emotional decision.
This was absolutely a commercially influenced decision. Even with the earlier Pentax, I never felt like I was at a disadvantage when it comes to taking a good photo. I shoot more like a film guy when it comes to my own work so the slow focus didn't bother me... It was only when I started losing jobs or get in awkward situations on set specifically due to my camera (tethering, compatibility issue, etc) that I started to look elsewhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
My signature photo below represents my current Pentax commitment. I also use Leica equipment (kit) but I will always have Pentax at this point. The Leicas produce a soulful color and beautiful imagery and classic experience, but when I want more avant garde technology and range, the Pentaxes are always there. Case in point, took recent trip to Wine Country, shot over 1,000 pics in 3 days, Camera? KP....recently went to shoot some photos of a farm with prancing horses: camera of choice? K-1.....Ed Maximus feels he needs to move on, I respect his decision. I thought about it too. But the ergonomics, quality of build, and interface of the Pentax DSLRs keeps me in the fold. Speed is plentiful on the K-1 and KP if your technique is solid. The slightly older bodies in my arsenal work well too. Not to mention weather sealing; the reason why my Leica kits can stay at home in any harsh weather.

If you're on this Forum, you don't need a morale boost. I'm simply stating that if you took great photos with a K-100D in 2008, great photos in 2013 with a K-5 and great photos in 2019 with a K-1, then the chances are you will shoot great photos with anything (even Sony, LOL)--you've reached a professional skill level. Good luck to you Ed Maximus. Perhaps we'll cross paths again someday.
Thanks mate. Funnily I did the same thing on my last trip a couple months ago.I left my Sony kit behind for the Pentax K-1.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Fine work! All the best with your future career, you've amply demonstrated it's the photographer that counts in the end. btw, I love the alligator/cayman? shot.
Thanks. That alligator shot is a good summary of my first couple of years learning photography. I used to spend hours chasing them to get a decent photo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I firmly believe that the right camera for you is the one that blends technical proficiency and ergonomics into a tool that inspires you and doesn't get in the way of the creative flow. Sometimes it's the 'pixie dust' sprinkled on the camera that makes you know it's the right gear for you. Hey, Sony sells a lot of cameras for a good reason, right? I hope your new rig lifts you up to even loftier photography heights than you've already attained.

If I'm not mistaken, my K-5IIs has a Sony sensor. I bought it after reading all the glowing reviews about image quality, among other things.
You are absolutely right. Every Pentax I've held in my hand always felt like an extension to myself, even the Pentax 6x7 eventho it's a bazooka.... Still getting used to the ergonomics of the Sony. The G Master lenses are giants comparing to the FA lenses I'm so used to. I'm sure with enough usage, the system will feel like a part of me. But at least for now, it doesn't get in the way of me taking good photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Good luck on your new equipment route.

Many here, myself included tend to run multiple brands and formats... in fact whatever it takes to get the job done.

In fact I'm quite surprised for you as a professional, for all of the cost of a K1 and a FA 77mm is nowadays, why you don't just keep 'em, especially when such a high percentage of your portfolio was based on this pairing.
My girlfriend gave me this same reasoning. I'm buying a backup Sony body, a few lenses, and a Mamiya RZ67 soon. So I wanted to make some space for them. I hate being bugged down with too many gears specially if I won't be using them. But now why do I feel like I need to sit on this decision and think for a bit?
06-03-2019, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,708
QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
This was absolutely a commercially influenced decision.
I meant, commercially influenced by the marketing of camera companies. A lot of people switch brands but when we ask why we almost always find that they decision was emotional rather than rational. In sales, we consider that 100% of purchase decision are emotional at the root, then the buy seek rational reasons to backup the decision. This is how customer psychology works.

---------- Post added 04-06-19 at 06:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
It was only when I started losing jobs or get in awkward situations on set specifically due to my camera (tethering, compatibility issue, etc) that I started to look elsewhere.
So until you weren't doing tethering every was fine including your business. You could have passed on tethering and keep shooting as you did before, but you found a limitation of the Pentax system. You will also find limitations with the new system (cameras systems always have limitations...), you may decide that you need 100Mega pixels, this is a good reason for switching from Sony to Fuji. Understanding how we thinking saves us a lot of money.

Here is the trick that business use to generate sales: "sell more by making clients constructively discontent. If buyers are complacent and won’t buy, it’s your goal to make them discontent and motivate them to buy" (watch here:
). Tethering made you discontent with what you already had. It's exactly that discontent that triggered your purchase of a new system.

Your photographs have something unique that is coming from you personally, evidence is that this unique things hasn't changed from the K7 to the K1, and won't change with the new camera unless you change your own personal style / vision.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-03-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
40mm, 77mm, camera, da, decision, fa, k-7, k3, pentax, photography, system, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is the proper terminology? Tonytee Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 02-24-2019 08:21 PM
Advice on Windows 10 - including proper use and setup of internal SSD and hard disks BigMackCam General Talk 6 10-21-2018 10:28 PM
Proper memory card Robert Mills Visitors' Center 2 10-12-2018 12:55 PM
Proper portrait lens purchase Femto1969 Pentax Medium Format 46 08-30-2017 12:47 AM
Proper use of Astrotracer? awscreo Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 07-29-2017 12:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top