Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Robert's Camera condition grading?

Robert's camera /usedphotopro.com has a lens I want it's $110 and it's listed as "Very Good 80-89% of original condition" and has "Internal dust and debris. External wear."

The external wear is minimal, I asked them about the "debris" and whether it was large dust, paints chips, fuzzers or what, they said it was large dust particles.
I've never bought a lens from them so I'm not familiar with their grading system.

Those of you who have bought from Robert's camera how have you found their rating system?
Would this be minor/moderate dust or something that came out of the Sahara?

Thanks for any help, and I hope this is the right place to post this.

06-08-2019, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought cameras and lenses from them before, but always in new condition, with never any problems. I suspect they are fairly conservative, but ....

What's the return policy? If you don't like it, can you send it back?
06-08-2019, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I have found their ratings very accurate in one case but a little optimistic in another. But they had excellent customer service and replaced the item I wasn't satisfied with at no cost to me. The replacement item perfectly matched the original description.
06-08-2019, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've bought several lenses and one camera body - everything I've received either matched their description or was in better shape than I expected...

I've had no issues with them and will continue to purchase from them in the future...

06-08-2019, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I've bought cameras and lenses from them before, but always in new condition, with never any problems. I suspect they are fairly conservative, but ....

What's the return policy? If you don't like it, can you send it back?
30 day returns and I pay, so worst case scenario I'd be out $14 for a flatrate box.
06-08-2019, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I have found their grading to be very conservative.
06-08-2019, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have bought several things from them and have not been disappointed.

Steve

06-09-2019, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Always been good to me. I have no concerns when I deal with them.
06-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have purchased a couple of used manual focus lenses from usedphotopro on eBay.
Good auction photos show condition accurately. I have yet to be disappointed or get stiffed.

Were I still frequently buying used lenses today they would probably replace KEH as my main supplier.

Chris
06-09-2019, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #10

@ Pentax360,
I happen to live in Indianapolis where Roberts is located. I've bought both new and used lens from them and never had any issues. Since I buy in-store I've had the opportunity to look at a good selection of their used Pentax & Nikon lens. Their grading of used equipment appears to be reasonable & fair. Roberts has a good reputation & has been in business since the 1950s, I've been a customer since the late 1960s & wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
06-09-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I find their rating system to be annoying (their fair being anyone else' "poor" just from description of the item alone) but they seem to deliver more details about items than KEH ever does so that's a big plus in my book.
06-09-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I find their rating system to be annoying (their fair being anyone else' "poor" just from description of the item alone) but they seem to deliver more details about items than KEH ever does so that's a big plus in my book.
KEH, for instance, does not post shutter count info for any used cameras and will not look it up for you, either... Roberts Camera will...
06-09-2019, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in Indy and get stuff from them all the time. Excellent place, sometimes outstanding deals on Pentax equipment.
06-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I concur with the majority of the postings here: I have bought several lenses and 2 camera bodies from Roberts and a battery grip from them and their gradings system is conservative. The products I have purchased are consistently better than stated and sold at or below market price. Considering they routinely sell new or lightly used Pentax equipment at great prices, I'm a Roberts fan.
I would purchase the lens....they take returns and they're hassle free. Good luck.
06-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have bought a couple of lenses from Roberts and they have consistently been better than described. I would not hesitate to order from them.