Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1

Photos: Albums
New to Photography

Hello Guys!

Can anyone share your ideas about photography? I uploaded to shutterstocks, fotolia and fineartamerica it seems something is wrong with all my photos. Nothing even one photo is sold.
I guess there is something wrong with my photo. Might not quality enough. I taking photos using my Pentax KS2 with a kit lens HD PENTAX-DA 18-50mmF4-5.6 DC WR RE.

I use Lightroom to post process my photos and I use another one SILKYPIX DS Pro 9 (trial version) to make my photo in good quality.

Thanks in advance and God bless.

Felix

Last edited by dave_roe; 6 Days Ago at 10:56 PM. Reason: removed link
6 Days Ago   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you post some of your very best photos, the images you think would or should sell, we can give you feedback. It has never been easy to make money in photography, and I would argue it's even harder today with a lot of people pirating or using images without permission.
6 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ended up taking a very close look at your website after seeing the report which was sent to the moderators, so apologies for the awkwardness there (and please remember to keep all communication regarding moderation in private, as the moderators will be happy to help if and as needed). This reply is otherwise completely unrelated

The first thing that struck me about your website is that it feels very much like an apparel store rather than an art gallery. I didn't even think it was your website (rather, a homepage for a larger site) until I started flipping through the photos. I'd definitely add more of a personal touch and define your niche.

I think a lot of your photos are good, but I also think that to get them to sell, they really need to stand out. There are lots of free images out there, so think about why someone would want to buy one of your full-size files or put one of your photos on their wall. To that end, I'd recommend that you post individual photos in the critique forum. Thereafter, focus on really promoting the most promising photos, as I think quality is way more important than quantity in that regard.

Finally, I didn't see any way to actually purchase any of the wall art. Only the bags, iphone cases, etc. had a purchase button.

If you plan on selling high-res files, getting a prime lens might also help.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

6 Days Ago   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I ended up taking a very close look at your website after seeing the report which was sent to the moderators, so apologies for the awkwardness there (and please remember to keep all communication regarding moderation in private, as the moderators will be happy to help if and as needed). This reply is otherwise completely unrelated

The first thing that struck me about your website is that it feels very much like an apparel store rather than an art gallery. I didn't even think it was your website (rather, a homepage for a larger site) until I started flipping through the photos. I'd definitely add more of a personal touch and define your niche.

I think a lot of your photos are good, but I also think that to get them to sell, they really need to stand out. There are lots of free images out there, so think about why someone would want to buy one of your full-size files or put one of your photos on their wall. To that end, I'd recommend that you post individual photos in the critique forum. Thereafter, focus on really promoting the most promising photos, as I think quality is way more important than quantity in that regard.

Finally, I didn't see any way to actually purchase any of the wall art. Only the bags, iphone cases, etc. had a purchase button.

If you plan on selling high-res files, getting a prime lens might also help.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Thank you so much Adam for the inspiring advice. At least I know why. Thank you so much, it enlighten me and make me a decision to step forward. Because first of all I got confuse what is the use of prime lens instead of having a zoom lens.
Thank you and God bless

6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't comment on your website but selling images on the web will be hard. Even if you had the greatest image ever captured selling would be difficult as there is just so much chaff that people post that the greatest image ever would get lost in it all. I did look at the 3 images in your album and there is a picture to be had in all those spots and the ones you took at those locations are perfectly fine. However in looking at them, none stand out as something I would spend money on as there is nothing that sets them apart from what would likely be countless other similar pictures. Some other general comments on the images I have. They all appear to have been shot during the harsh mid day sun so maybe try shooting early in the morning or later in the afternoon during the golden hour (probably closer to golden 30 minutes in the Philippines having experienced how quickly the sun drops once the light gets good there). Another thing to consider is that in those images you are shooting human scale things mostly and all the shots look like they were taken at eye level while standing, so maybe try getting lower, especially with the road one. Changing perspective can make a huge difference and a good example are these 2 shots from the "Framed Within a Frame" photo contest several months ago where it was the same subject shot with similar cameras (K-5 vs K-5ii) and shot with a similar field of view (12-20mm sigma lens vs a 15mm). The biggest difference was one was shot landscape while standing, the other was shot portrait while kneeling down. I felt that the one that was shot lower was the better more compelling image as did a number of people as that one made it to the finals that month while the other one didn't.

I would say if you want to make a go at selling images see about selling prints to tourists eventually. Over the years my wife has bought a number of photos of places we have gone a number of which are worse than you've shown. It will take practice and you will need to offer more than they can get from their cellphone. I've been taking photographs for over 21 years and only in the last 2.5 have been putting in serious effort to get better so it will take time. Definitely post in the critique gallery, to get feedback. I've never gotten a mean or bad critique and those who comment there will offer their advise on why something did or didn't work and often how to improve. I've only seen a few bad critiques but the person who gave them was banned for their poor behavior all over the place. Work on developing your own style, it looks like you prefer landscapes so read up on making great landscape images.

When it comes to gear I would say stick with what you have and maybe get an inexpensive telephoto zoom for the longer end (like the DA 55-300mm) to start out with and use those 2 lenses (your current zoom and the telephoto zoom) while learning. After a while you will find that you take pictures clustered around a few focal lengths and then I would consider getting some good prime (non zoom, fixed focal length) lenses nearest those lengths. The prime lenses will almost always be sharper and faster than zooms as they make fewer compromises. I would hold off getting a K-1 or K-1ii as that isn't going to magically make you a better photographer.
2 Days Ago   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I can't comment on your website but selling images on the web will be hard. Even if you had the greatest image ever captured selling would be difficult as there is just so much chaff that people post that the greatest image ever would get lost in it all. I did look at the 3 images in your album and there is a picture to be had in all those spots and the ones you took at those locations are perfectly fine. However in looking at them, none stand out as something I would spend money on as there is nothing that sets them apart from what would likely be countless other similar pictures. Some other general comments on the images I have. They all appear to have been shot during the harsh mid day sun so maybe try shooting early in the morning or later in the afternoon during the golden hour (probably closer to golden 30 minutes in the Philippines having experienced how quickly the sun drops once the light gets good there). Another thing to consider is that in those images you are shooting human scale things mostly and all the shots look like they were taken at eye level while standing, so maybe try getting lower, especially with the road one. Changing perspective can make a huge difference and a good example are these 2 shots from the "Framed Within a Frame" photo contest several months ago where it was the same subject shot with similar cameras (K-5 vs K-5ii) and shot with a similar field of view (12-20mm sigma lens vs a 15mm). The biggest difference was one was shot landscape while standing, the other was shot portrait while kneeling down. I felt that the one that was shot lower was the better more compelling image as did a number of people as that one made it to the finals that month while the other one didn't.

I would say if you want to make a go at selling images see about selling prints to tourists eventually. Over the years my wife has bought a number of photos of places we have gone a number of which are worse than you've shown. It will take practice and you will need to offer more than they can get from their cellphone. I've been taking photographs for over 21 years and only in the last 2.5 have been putting in serious effort to get better so it will take time. Definitely post in the critique gallery, to get feedback. I've never gotten a mean or bad critique and those who comment there will offer their advise on why something did or didn't work and often how to improve. I've only seen a few bad critiques but the person who gave them was banned for their poor behavior all over the place. Work on developing your own style, it looks like you prefer landscapes so read up on making great landscape images.

When it comes to gear I would say stick with what you have and maybe get an inexpensive telephoto zoom for the longer end (like the DA 55-300mm) to start out with and use those 2 lenses (your current zoom and the telephoto zoom) while learning. After a while you will find that you take pictures clustered around a few focal lengths and then I would consider getting some good prime (non zoom, fixed focal length) lenses nearest those lengths. The prime lenses will almost always be sharper and faster than zooms as they make fewer compromises. I would hold off getting a K-1 or K-1ii as that isn't going to magically make you a better photographer.
Thank you so much MossyRocks for this ideas. I'm glad I hear it from you. Anyway I'm just about a year practicing photography. I'm still do practice almost everyday. In fact I'm preparing my budget for the gear of my camera.
2 Days Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In looking at your three images in your PF gallery, one technical note is that I see two of your shots were wide open at f/4 or f/5.6 at 1/1000" and one shot was 1/13" @ f/22.

In general, unless you want shallow depth-of-field, you'll want to avoid the lens' largest apertures or the other extreme at the small end due to diffraction. The shots at f/4 or f/5.6 could have been a tack sharper at f/8 @1/250" or 1/500" and the f/22 could have also been f/8 @ 1/125". Keeping your ISO low, as you did, is good.

But those are minor technical details. The biggest factor is the midday light preventing you from getting a WOW factor. In photography, especially landscapes, it's often when you shoot that will have the biggest impact as the color and shadows created at twilight are special and brings out emotion in the scene.

If you get a chance, go back to those exact same places and shoot them at dawn or dusk. Take a tripod if you can, or if you can't, just increase your ISO (up to 800 if needed) and use SR if your shutter speeds are on the slow side handheld.

In terms of composition, find that subject that is really the one thing attracting your eye (or heart) and crop tighter for it.

Don't worry about trying to shoot images that sell. You can't second guess what others will want. Instead, shoot images that you like, that you think are unique and progressively better than what you've done before.

If you need to make money from photography, then you'll find it in portraits, weddings, sporting or music events or real estate. Freelancing is tough. It's feast or famine. Networking and knowing the decision makers at advertising agencies helps. When I was freelancing, however, having an agent or working for an agency helped my income, but it was some of my worst experience as a pro photographer and I was happier and more successful when I found and made my own contacts and assignments rather than projects given to me.