Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
...I end up with lost of photos with burned highlight and very dark shadows...PP improved them somewhat, but I can't say they're super pretty...
Post some photos that are giving you trouble. We can offer exposure and processing suggestions.

Blown highlights are very difficult to fix with PP. What exposure mode are you using? Are you using exposure compensation to "underexpose"? Have you tried bracketing or HDR? In harsh light, consider zooming in more; a narrower scene will have less variance in lighting.

The K-1 will give you a small dynamic range benefit over your current KP, much less than the improvements you already got by going from KX to KP. In very rough terms, going from the KX to KP gave you 1.5 stops of dynamic range, going to the K-1 will only add 0.5 more. Most blown highlights will still be blown with the K-1. but that extra dynamic range gives slightly more leeway to lift shadows during PP.

In my experience the main benefits to the K-1 are less noise in dim light, thinner depth of field if you like that style of photo, and better image quality at ultrawide angles. The KP can already do pretty well in those niches so unless you do a lot of night photography, thin depth of field, or ultrawide I don't think you'll gain much from the K-1.

Downsides to the K-1 vs the KP are extra size, extra weight, and possible need to buy more expensive lenses.

06-14-2019, 10:11 AM - 3 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
To give one answer to the question in title; K1 is perfect for those who like to shoot a lot with vintage lenses. So far every lens I have tested has been better in native format. But I upgraded from K5, so difference shouldn't be as huge when compared to KP.
+1. My K-5 became damaged, and though I appreciate how well it served my needs, the K-1 is now my only DSLR, and I am not planning on buying a replacement APS-C. The K-1 really does create a great image using quality vintage lenses, but only after two years of renting the K-1 for special occasions I recently upgraded to a K-1 from a K-5. The prices for used K-2's hit the price I was willing to pay.

For shooting at the worst part of the day, invest in polarizers, ND filters,, extended lens hoods, or an alarm clock, no camera can improve upon the constraints of bright, flat, harsh light directly overhead. The best you can do is experiment with changing angles and points of view, as well as depth of field to try to make the best of the lighting.

Also, experiment with manual settings, and in-camera HDR. IMO, Pentax's in-camera HDR does a very good job of processing the dynamic range without giving the image that stereotypical and obvious over-processed HDR look that gives HDR a bad name.
06-15-2019, 03:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FF vs APSC is always the same:
- lenses (meaning FF lenses) being used as they're intended to
- Different effect of DOF (not different DOF) due to different distance to the subject to fill the frame as APSC
- supposed better low light performance of the FF
- more heavyness of the whole system (FF lenses are bigger and heavier).
To answer: if you need 36 mpx and you already have FF lenses (legacy/vintage/new it's the same) and it weight doesn't matter for you and finally you don't mind spending money on a new camera body+lenses ....well, buy the k1 now, for that price that's a bargain price.
06-15-2019, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, lots of feedback already. I will need to spend time tonight to read all of them. Just a quick clarification: mid-day or harsh light performance is one extra motivation, not the only reason I asked for deciding whether to upgrade. I do try shooting RAW, ISO 100, and underexpose a lot to have some room in PP. I think I get my KP dynamic range to the limit in such situation, so if the K1 is even better, why not?

Alarm clock as one of you said, doesn't work :-) I'm not that lazy, it's just I have things to do at early morning and evening so it's not practical for me to get out at that time. I will try experimenting with ND filter, thank you.
@iheiramo and @paulh have already mentioned the reason I bought the K-1 day of release. I have an extensive collection of legacy K series manual lenses. Using the larger K-1 OVF to focus with them is much easier and more accurate. I realize that’s an esoteric justification but it is my justification.

I also have a KP that, with the accelerator chip, allows me to have cleaner RAW’s at higher ISO (that would tend to be morning, evening and indoor hand held). I have second hand DA Limiteds and I also travel with KP. Frankly, if I didn't have the manual lenses I’d be perfectly happy with KP and the DA lenses. If you aren’t printing - and printing large - a KP and good lenses is better than a K-1 and so-so lenses.

06-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #35
Pentaxian

APS-c = fast and gritty
FF = slow and smooth

The biggest disadvantage I see for you is your lack of FF lenses.
I actually started collecting FF lenses long before the K-1 was available, so I had a good stable fo FF lenses when I bought the K-1.

Lenses I've bought specifically for the K-1 (because all those older lenses came with their own set of issues)
DFA 28-105, DFA 100 macro, DA*55 1.4, and Tamron AF ED 300 2.8.

That's a lot more money than what you're paying for your camera. And I really didn't like the camera all that much before I bought the DFA 28-015 which in my mind is the cheapest zoom that let's you explore all the K-1s capabilities, the way I shoot.

That being said, for that money I'd buy the camera and improvise.

As for mid day photos, there isn't a camera made that can make them look good. But a K-1 could make them look a little better (but still bad).

When I go out, I have the 28-105, 55 1.4, and 100 macro in my bag, with possibly the DA*200 2.8 and F.17 TC in a shoulder bag. If I'm expecting mostly macro or telephoto shooting, I take APS-c. APS-c is better for any image in which you will crop close to APS-c size in post as long as you can keep the ISO reasonably low.

Last edited by normhead; 06-15-2019 at 07:41 AM.
06-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #36
Veteran Member

$500-$600 for a K1 ?!?!? How is that even possible???
06-16-2019, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #37
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Fullframe camera is for whom?
That'll be me then.

06-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #38
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I love the K1 for its image quality, but you pay a price in weight of both the camera itself and especially the lenses that go with it. However, if you are willing to put up with less-than-perfect corners, some of the DA Limited lenses you have may be very useable on it, so the weight increase will be minimised. I Use the DA 40 and DA 70 Limiteds on it quite regularly. You may like to check out my thread on the DA40 on K1. The DA70 is better still.
Sounds like a very good idea. If I ever get a K-1 I will surely try that. I'm also curious how crop mode works with FF camera? Does the camera simply crop the full images, or it deactivates part of the sensor? Or in other words, is the result from using crop mode better than using ff mode and cropping in PP?
06-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a very good idea. If I ever get a K-1 I will surely try that. I'm also curious how crop mode works with FF camera? Does the camera simply crop the full images, or it deactivates part of the sensor? Or in other words, is the result from using crop mode better than using ff mode and cropping in PP?
Deactivates the sensor, so the frame rate and buffer increase.

06-17-2019, 04:41 AM   #40
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I didn't expect this but I love my K1 most for its ability to do candid family snaps where the shallow depth of field separates the subject in a way which can give you a professional look. And whether it's glary outside light or dim inside there's no drama. It's one of those examples where equipment does make a difference. You can't beat the laws of physics. And these photos are with the A 50 1.4. So you don't need to spend a fortune on lenses. At $500-600 yes it's definitely worth trying. And a daughter growing up? She's worth it.
Beautiful photos. I also shoot a lot this kind of photos (most of them are not as good), aside from travelling. I bought a Sigma Art 30mm specifically for this purpose.

---------- Post added 06-17-19 at 04:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
I have a 60 x 90 cm (about 24"x35") print at 300 dpi of the image below hanging in my hallway (apologies if I have posted this elsewhere; link to full-res JPEG for the pixel peepers: Dresden & Saxon Switzerland 2018 - Marc). Shot with a 24-MP crop body and a 100-euro lens. Standing in front of it, and looking as close as my ageing eyes will allow, I can discern single needles of the spruce trees, I get gorgeous colours and tonality, and hardly any noise. Okay, in this case, everything came together perfectly (base ISO, solid tripod, Mirror Lock-up, IR remote, best aperture, etc.) - I get it - but it still doesn't exactly give me the feeling that I need to upgrade to full frame. Especially, given the bulk and cost penalty it would entail.

And, yes, it's perfectly okay to want and get a FF kit. The K-1 line are excellent cameras, and there are areas where they are going to beat their crop cousins.
I agree. Great photo! In fact I can do just fine with my KP. The K1 is more a want than a need, with a good price I may still pull the trigger though

---------- Post added 06-17-19 at 04:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
More or less, I am in the same position. After using K-5II I tried to live with K-1 for a couple of weeks. My intention was to use it with FA 35/2, DA 40 and DA 70 limited to get the FF look and not to increase the weight of the system too much.

In my case, although I enjoyed the ergonomics of K-1, I decided to go to KP. The weight and size difference is quite big for daily use (for me!). KP with limiteds is quite small and unobtrusive and with great ergonomics as well. Still from time to time I miss the FF look (or something like DA* 24/1,2 for APS-C format:-) ). So, the decision is up to you ...
I will take your advice into consideration very carefully, because you have handled both, and your lenses are pretty similar to mine. If I ever buy a K1, I will start with DA 40, 70 too (plus some manual lenses I rarely use).
06-17-2019, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Beautiful photos. I also shoot a lot this kind of photos (most of them are not as good), aside from travelling. I bought a Sigma Art 30mm specifically for this purpose.

---------- Post added 06-17-19 at 04:43 AM ----------

I agree. Great photo! In fact I can do just fine with my KP. The K1 is more a want than a need, with a good price I may still pull the trigger though

---------- Post added 06-17-19 at 04:45 AM ----------

I will take your advice into consideration very carefully, because you have handled both, and your lenses are pretty similar to mine. If I ever buy a K1, I will start with DA 40, 70 too (plus some manual lenses I rarely use).
Even then you have to be careful in thinking about what you think you have.
I used to use the 40XS regularly on my K-3. On the K-1 it's the DA 55 1.4 that fills that slot. I preferred my Sigma 70mm macro on the K-3. I ended up being the DFA 100 macro for the K-1, because I preferred the Field of View of 70 on APS-c. All your lenses are 33% shorter because of the expanded field of view. Favourite lenses get assigned to the shelf because the field of view isn't what you wanted. it's nice to have a few FF capable lenses, to get you started. But you can't assume because you like them on APS-c, you'll like them on FF.
06-18-2019, 01:18 AM   #42
Bui
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Even then you have to be careful in thinking about what you think you have.
I used to use the 40XS regularly on my K-3. On the K-1 it's the DA 55 1.4 that fills that slot. I preferred my Sigma 70mm macro on the K-3. I ended up being the DFA 100 macro for the K-1, because I preferred the Field of View of 70 on APS-c. All your lenses are 33% shorter because of the expanded field of view. Favourite lenses get assigned to the shelf because the field of view isn't what you wanted. it's nice to have a few FF capable lenses, to get you started. But you can't assume because you like them on APS-c, you'll like them on FF.
I agree. I also fear that using the DA limites on FF is just an experiment, sooner or later the urge to buy expensive and heavy FF lenses will come. In fact I have some legacy lenses that I could use if the K1 comes: the K28 3.5, 55 2.0, F 50 1.7 and a Super Takumar 135. Except for the F 50 1.7, I very rarely put them on the KP, since the DA limiteds' AF is so convenient, and image quality is at least on par in my eyes.
06-18-2019, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That being said, for that money I'd buy the camera and improvise.
I'm a dedicated APS-C user, or even advocate, but for $500 I'd probably buy a K-1 as a second body just to get better use from my Helios and Lomography Daguerreotype lenses.
06-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm a dedicated APS-C user, or even advocate, but for $500 I'd probably buy a K-1 as a second body just to get better use from my Helios and Lomography Daguerreotype lenses.
There's that too, the K-1 would be new life for all your FF capable lenses.

You won't get a lens for $500 that will do more for your images.
06-19-2019, 03:46 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's that too, the K-1 would be new life for all your FF capable lenses.

You won't get a lens for $500 that will do more for your images.
But I only have a few, so the price would have to be spectacular. I rented a K-1 in December, and while it was nice to have those two lenses in all their swirly goodness the overall experience didn't wow me. Probably in part because I don't have much FF glass and what I have is idiosyncratic.