Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
Pentaxian

how do you document your gear and log what you shoot?

reckon I am looking for ideas to document my gear.....prolly a simple notebook by category body, lens, flash and various accessories...

since I am beginning to shoot film on a somewhat regular basis i won't have exif to record shot info....and even make better records of digital shots as well....

what do you do to keep track of such info? like a photo journal/log book that is linear? and not that everything damn thing has to be recorded but general notes?

suppose looking at methods or approaches to jot info down....

06-22-2019, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For gear I just keep a spreadsheet. Date purchased, amount, who from, new / used, make, model, serial number. And date sold and amount if its sold.

For digital I make sure the shot has the gps data in it. Everything else I need is in the EXIF unless it is a manual lens. In that case I can usually tell by the focal length and put a note in Lightroom. I am also meticulous about putting in headline, title and caption for shots. And keywords when I have the time. Shots from the same shoot / area all get the same headline. "Tractor pull at the Washington State Fairgrounds". The title is different for each group and the caption has more information if needed.

For film I used to keep a small 'reporters' notebook with me and keep notes of location and camera settings. I also marked a code number in the notes that was also marked on the film cartridge though I generally got that mixed up when it went to the lab. Still better than nothing.
06-22-2019, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I photograph all my gear. Serial numbers etc. For digital, the EXIF is recorded by the camera. For anything the camera doesn't record, like apertures when using legacy lenses, I don't record since I'm unlikely to remember where a notebook actually is.
06-23-2019, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding film, I have a notes app on my phone and start a new one when I load a film.

I record the start date for the roll, lens, subject, and only record exposure details if purposefully shooting at other than box speed or compensating or using flash.

When the roll is finished, I copy that to a spreadsheet that resides in the folder where the scans will sit.

06-23-2019, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I also keep a computerized list of my gear, including serial numbers, which I keep stored in the cloud so I still have it, even if they get my laptop too.
06-23-2019, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
reckon I am looking for ideas to document my gear.....
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I also keep a computerized list of my gear, including serial numbers, which I keep stored in the cloud so I still have it, even if they get my laptop too.
consider registering your equipment with lenstag

https://www.lenstag.com/

it is free
06-23-2019, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #7

Kit
Two Word documents are maintained
Full Kit List Gives detail of all kit in sections for cameras, lenses, etc each in chronological order.
For each item has manufacturers name, serial number, date bought and price paid, fate (sold + price, scrapped etc).
Summary Kit List A one liner for each important item in full list. Description and serial numbers. Exported as hard copy and PDF. A copy lives on my phone in case need to report to police...

Photos
A long saga going back to the early 1970s, but may be useful.
In the beginning I used a notebook to record detail of each shot. Before long it got very tatty.
So changed my approach. Still used notebook for 'on the go' recording. But had a sheet per film stored in a ring binder.
Each sheet had a film reference - Year + Film in year, and there were 40 numbered rows, one per frame ( optimist!). I was shooting transparencies,so each slide was numbered with Year + Film in year + Frame within film.
On the sheet I recorded camera and film type. For each row I recorded Date, subject, lends, exposure details and where slide was stored. Exposure details initially consisted of aperture and duration. But got bored with this so after a few years only recorded exceptions +/- EV, Polarised etc.
This approach worked well for 20+ years. Then when I got a Pentax MZ5N in 1997 I started to record extra information on the DAY - what the weather conditions were and what time of day the shots were taken.
Fast forward to 2005 when I went digital.
As I was already into the habit of recording what and where,I started to use a Word document to record. The key difference from the film era was that now likely to have a number of shots for a subject. This seemed to go well, as I learned about digital and shot JPEG.
However in 2006 I started to scan transparencies. The old record sheets came useful, and I was able to enter description and date in to the IPTC data like "Casa Battlo, Barcelona, 9 Apr 1999".
It struck me that this was a good idea to also do with my digital photos. By this time I was shooting RAW, and storing as DNG and was writing data into the DNG file. I was using ACR and used this to
embed the data entered in the record sheets into the file. I have also got all my digital images hierarchically tagged via Lightroom and everything since May 2017 has GPS Co-ordinates (with deliberate exceptions).

Sample of current record sheet is at bottom
[The 'position' at top right is so I can find on the Word colour wheel]

I'm using a K3ii and a K3, so photos are numbered in the K32*and K30* series. Leading K3 is omitted in record sheets.

For each day within year there is separate folder on PC; the exception is a trip, where all photos are in a single folder.
In effect the sheets mirror the storage structure

Ken
Attached Images