Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

I am ussualy really carefull with my thing. I store my lens caps in my pants pockets, like Steve. But about a year ago, i lost one 49mm Pentax lens cap from an F 50 1.4 lens. Fast forward to second to last month, when, while browsing a local flea market i stumbled upon the same lens cap, diameter and all, for 2€. It was sold before any attempt at negiciations. Only deal made that day, but it was a good one.

To be fair, i almost walked out of quite a few cafes/bars/restaurants leaving the entire bag/backpack filled with gear under the table. Fortunately my wife always reminds me, without making too much fun.

---------- Post added 06-23-19 at 11:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think I'm gonna win this one.

It was in 2009. I was for a day visit with a friend to Amsterdam down in the center. With me my brand new K-7 and on it the da*16-50mm lens. Just snapt some images, nothing special. At some point we stopped for an icecream. We sat on a bench outsite the icecream shop to enjoy the ice. Tasted great. Then we continued our walk true the town. At one point my friend said.....where is your camera......? Oops.... So we went back to the icecream shop and came there about half an our after we left. On the bench outside the shop was my camera...... Probably to obvious as bate for thiefs to fall for this....thinking the police must be watching. We took another icecream!
You were just lucky it wasn't a bike. Thiefs there dont know what to do with cameras.

06-23-2019, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Went observing at the radio astronomy observatory (NRAO: Green Bank Observatory Home - Green Bank Observatory ) in the mid-70's. Unpacked my car in the dormitory parking lot. Two days later, realized my ME was missing. Looked around a bit and located it on the roof of my car where it had sat unmolested.

Not so lucky with the lens cap for my 16-50 - it came off at a hamfest in Williams, Arizona on the rodeo grounds a few years ago. Williams is a very small town - I got in email touch with the chief of police and he promised that his officers would keep an eye out for it. Never heard back, though.
06-23-2019, 04:45 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

I do nature walks a lot and I thought I had lost the silver dial to my k-01 as that is a common occurrence. I backtracked all through the trail to find it, and as I was about to admit defeat I found it safely nestled in my camera bag
06-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #19
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Lost lens caps.....what people actually re-find them....well I never

Not that lucky

06-23-2019, 05:57 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think I'm gonna win this one.

It was in 2009. I was for a day visit with a friend to Amsterdam down in the center. With me my brand new K-7 and on it the da*16-50mm lens. Just snapt some images, nothing special. At some point we stopped for an icecream. We sat on a bench outsite the icecream shop to enjoy the ice. Tasted great. Then we continued our walk true the town. At one point my friend said.....where is your camera......? Oops.... So we went back to the icecream shop and came there about half an our after we left. On the bench outside the shop was my camera...... Probably to obvious as bate for thiefs to fall for this....thinking the police must be watching. We took another icecream!
In a similar vein, my son left my K3 at a beach a couple of years ago. I can't remember which lens was attached; probably the 16-85. He wasn't even sure what had happened; he thought maybe he'd placed it on the roof of the car and driven away with it (not so it turned out). Anyway, a day or two later he was contacted on facebook by someone who had found it and scanned through the menu to find his name in the "copyright" setting. It's an unusual name, and easily found on fb. My son took him a slab of beer in thanks.
06-23-2019, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Anyway, a day or two later he was contacted on facebook by someone who had found it and scanned through the menu to find his name in the "copyright" setting.
I put a contact info image file on all my SD cards.
06-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #22
Forum Member

Lost the minimal screw-on cap of the DA40 in my parents' garden in november two years ago, on the day when the first snow had come. Seemed impossible to find in the grass so had to give it up and replaced it later on. But what is hidden in snow comes forth in the thaw, now I have two... Lens caps for the Q lenses seem easy to drop but sofar I have always found them again. Less lucky with the tiny Q mount shield lens. Had it in a pouch (for glasses), neither the pouch or the bag I had on my bike rack were closed well enough and after riding about a km I realised it was gone. Went back to look for it in the roadside, impossible of course. The value was about the same (cheap lens/ expensive cap!) but it felt worse to lose a whole lens...

06-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm generally pretty good about finding stuff I've lost or misplaced. However, I've got one thing right now that I can't find, but I'm not ready to label it "lost". It's a control knob off of my Beike ballhead. Okay, so I could buy a completely new head for $20...but it's the principal of the thing! I know HOW I lost it...I just don't know where. I had put my tripod in the back of my car and driven 3+ hours to a shoot with my camera club. I didn't use my tripod while I was there, but I did carry it with me on a short hike. I then turned around and drove the 3+ hours back home. Somewhere during the day, the control knob vibrated loose and came out. I don't know if it became loose during the initial drive and then fell off during the hike...or if it vibrated loose during the drive home, fell out somewhere in the back of my car, and is now lodged in some out-of-the-way crack. As an aside to this, be aware that carrying camera gear in a car for long periods of time can make things come apart. I often have control knobs on tripods and support gear come loose this way, so beware!
06-24-2019, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

I went to grab my camera bag recently and couldn't find it in all the usual places. I pulled the house apart and started sweating when I realised it might be missing with my K3II, Sigma 30, Tamron 90, Pentax 16-85, Pentax 55-300 and a load of other bits and bobs like chargers, batteries, memory cards...

Delving into my brain the last place I could remember actually laying hands on the bag was at Center Parcs a couple of months before. I was convinced I must have used my camera since then though. Surely. Plus we checked and re-checked we had everything when we left to come home.

Still, my wife rang Center Parcs asking about the bag and they informed her that after a couple of weeks they send everything off to a charity/goodwill shop anyway. Nevertheless my wife gave a description of the bag and the there was a pause before the lady said 'you know, I think I've seen that bag, hang on a sec...'

It turns out they did have it. She wasn't sure why it hadn't been sent off to the charity/goodwill shop but sure enough there it was. Phew.
06-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never lost a lens cap, I put them in my pocket if I take one off. I have the 40mm DA pancake lens, it has a press on lens cap, I'm afraid it will fall off, so far I still have it.
06-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I don't recall having lost any small stuff like lens caps. I did find a Sony lens cap on a hiking trip, but no sign of an owner around, so it sat in my van for around a year before I threw it away; it was the wrong size for my lenses. I forgot bags twice but they were luckily recovered within minutes:

1) I took a lunch break during a convention in NJ. I attached the bag to my chair in such a way that a thief couldn't grab the bag and run, nor subtly open it to remove contents. I finished lunch and left the bag attached to the chair. Another convention goer, a friend of a friend, spotted the bag, called my friend, my friend called me, and I retrieved the bag a few minutes later. My new procedure is wrap the bag around my leg instead of around the chair while dining.

2) I was doing night photography of DC monuments from across the river in Arlington. It was January, windy, and bitterly cold. After getting the photo I wanted I rushed back to my car to warm up, taking my tripod and camera with me. I forgot my backpack. I realized my error as I reached the car. It was so cold that no one else was around so my bag was still there.
06-24-2019, 11:40 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Mislaid - recently. Out birding, managed to leave phone in the furthest hide (blind). Noticed when I was back at Reserve Centre - asked a younger (= faster !) couple if they'd see if it were till there. Lurched after them, met them as they were making a special journey to take it to the Centre - and they wouldn't even accept a cuppa as thanks.

Found - at a car boot sale, many years ago, on a stall I noticed a brown leather Leica 'lens' case, labelled £2. Picked it up - it rattled very slightly. Opened it - within was a silver tele-converter of some sort, also prominently labelled Leica. I attracted the stall holder, and was about to mention that it might be worth more (I was prepared to offer her a Caruso) when she literally snarled at me 'The price marked is what you pay - I ain't changing it !' Not wishing to argue with a member of the fairer sex, I paid the asking price and left.

Sold it to a local camera dealer for £90.
06-25-2019, 04:34 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I left my Sigma 17-50mm cap in a restaurant in Venice, but noticed ten minutes later and went back. It wasn't busy so it was right there.
I recently left the cap for my M 120mm f/2.8 on a small wall by the sea in Murcia and realised 15 minutes later, went back and there it was.
I left the case for my K2DMD on a bench in Madrid close to the four skyscrapers (the case has to come off to change the battery) and realised about half an hour later, went back and it was still there.

I don't think I've ever lost anything camera-related in this way.
06-25-2019, 06:21 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
. . . Found - at a car boot sale, many years ago, on a stall I noticed a brown leather Leica 'lens' case, labelled £2. Picked it up - it rattled very slightly. Opened it - within was a silver tele-converter of some sort, also prominently labelled Leica. I attracted the stall holder, and was about to mention that it might be worth more (I was prepared to offer her a Caruso) when she literally snarled at me 'The price marked is what you pay - I ain't changing it !' Not wishing to argue with a member of the fairer sex, I paid the asking price and left.

Sold it to a local camera dealer for £90.
all you can do is to try to educate some people - - -

you did a good job
06-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
rubber eye cup
That's usually what goes missing for me, I mostly find them on the ground close by. However one eyecup that did get away ended up in the Pacific, so I let it go and did not jump in to find it.

Phil.