Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Not packing lightly for the solar eclipse

This is what a friend is bringing to South America for the solar eclipse. 2 Nikon bodies, 2 Sony bodies, lots of lenses, timers so he doesn't have to manually control it all.

(Photo copyright Stan Honda, in case that info gets lost when I link the photo)

06-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you have the room and capability to carry it all

why leave it at home ?

you spent the money on it for a reason
06-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My initial post wasn't intended as criticism. It's just a reminder of the gear (plus associated expertise) needed to get some of the best astrophotography. Eclipse totality lasts a few minutes and if you screw up your photos it can be years until the next eclipse.

Here's his website. Stan Honda | Photographer. His photojournalism career covered many space shuttle launches and the 9/11 World Trade Center attack. Now he concentrates on the night sky, eclipses, and documenting WW2 Japanese American internment camps.
06-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For the 2017 eclipse in the US, I had 4 bodies, 7 lenses, 4 tripods, and a telescope. But then my wife and I also did the trip in a largish cargo van with a queen size air mattress so we could camp/sleep anywhere.

The one thing I did not get a chance to try was astrotracer for telephoto HDR of the corona. Although the sun moves at a different speed than the stars, the difference is so small that it should provide a decent tracking.

06-26-2019, 08:57 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

According to what I've been reading lately, all of that gear is outdated and unnecessary. All he needs to take is a smartphone, apparently...
06-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My son & I had 3 shipping trunks full with telescopes, cameras etc plus chairs etc for the 2017 US eclipse. Thankfully we remembered gaffer tape, duck tape, and our eye ware! Some others in our group forgot key components, and we all shared out as needed. Oh yes, we overpacked and will be less encumbered next time! The views were wondrous and will never be forgotten! Hangin’ with the crowd of watchers was priceless too!
06-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

On the low tech side, I took an eclipse picture with my Pentax 67 in 2017. Totality only last a short while. Four bodies is a little too much. You need to take time to watch it yourself.

06-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had the "pre-eclipse fever" last year but it all finally came down to my K-1, a single lens with filter & teleconverter, and a guided camera on auto that I didn't need to attend to. My best shots were with the K-1 and I still needed more time during totality. Practice with a stop watch (figuring out what shots you're really after) and thin out that gear to what you will actually use and be capable of using. BUT, include extra batteries (charged) and SD cards (unless you use film). Unless you have helpers who know what they are doing, there's only going to be so much you can concentrate on and jumping between different pieces of gear is not advised. If you have automated gear, then you might expand what you can do.

In any case, good luck with your expedition - may your shutter finger work quickly and when needed.
06-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
On the low tech side, I took an eclipse picture with my Pentax 67 in 2017. Totality only last a short while. Four bodies is a little too much. You need to take time to watch it yourself.
What he said ^ ^ ^

Steve
06-26-2019, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
For the 2017 eclipse in the US, I had 4 bodies, 7 lenses, 4 tripods, and a telescope. But then my wife and I also did the trip in a largish cargo van with a queen size air mattress so we could camp/sleep anywhere. The one thing I did not get a chance to try was astrotracer for telephoto HDR of the corona. Although the sun moves at a different speed than the stars, the difference is so small that it should provide a decent tracking.
My wife and I also traveled via van for the 2017 eclipse. It's a full conversion including fridge, stove, toilet so we can camp anywhere. We visited family in the center of the country (Omaha, NE made it easy to shift east or west for eclipse weather), went to Wyoming for the actual eclipse, spent a week camping in the Black Hills of South Dakota, then visited other family on the way back home.

I wouldn't attempt the astrotracer for corona; corona should use bracketing and I couldn't find a way to simultaneously use bracketing + remote + astrotracer. My mechanical tracking mount (iOptron Skytracker) worked well:

06-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
...In any case, good luck with your expedition...
I am unfortunately not going to this eclipse.
06-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
According to what I've been reading lately, all of that gear is outdated and unnecessary. All he needs to take is a smartphone, apparently...
Even if a smartphone would do the job, the photographer would look ridiculous never to the guys with a battery of big guns, it would be an hilarious situation, sort of Mr Bean. Every photog would size each other looking over the gear, and that skinny guy would pull out his phone from his pocket... "and that's all you have? Come on..."

---------- Post added 26-06-19 at 18:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Not packing lightly for the solar eclipse
Is it not possible to draw a black circle in lightroom/photoshop?
06-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Tell your friend to try a picture that puts the eclipse in some kind of context as well. These telephoto images of only the eclipse is what everyone does. The best pictures are who ever has the most expensive and specialize gear. They are cool but if you have more than one camera going try something different too.

Pentax 67, 105/2.4.
06-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Tell your friend to try a picture that puts the eclipse in some kind of context as well.
The Sonys are for the environmental shots with the wide lenses. And the Nikons are for tight shots of the eclipse, noticing only two black filters to block the sunlight.
06-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tell your friend to try a picture that puts the eclipse in some kind of context as well.
I think he knows IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON | Stan Honda