Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In 2017 I ran a tiny wide-angle cam for HD video, a Pentax with tele on tripod with interval timer and my micro43 in hand or attached to our telescope w/ 8" mirror. Pretty much every photon catcher I own..

06-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Tell your friend to try a picture that puts the eclipse in some kind of context as well. These telephoto images of only the eclipse is what everyone does. The best pictures are who ever has the most expensive and specialize gear. They are cool but if you have more than one camera going try something different too.
This is my plan for the 2024 eclipse, which will be passing just 30 minutes West of me. I don't think I'll be able to match the quality of the best filled frame images that
will be captured, so I plan to take wider shots that record the overall scene. However, my first priority, far and above getting a picture, will be to enjoy the experience.
This will be the first total eclipse I've ever seen and I don't want to be distracted with an attempt to preserve the moment while actually not experiencing the moment.
I'll get the cameras setup ahead of time but then they'll be on autopilot while the eclipse is occurring.
06-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My initial post wasn't intended as criticism. It's just a reminder of the gear (plus associated expertise) needed to get some of the best astrophotography. Eclipse totality lasts a few minutes and if you screw up your photos it can be years until the next eclipse.

Here's his website. Stan Honda | Photographer. His photojournalism career covered many space shuttle launches and the 9/11 World Trade Center attack. Now he concentrates on the night sky, eclipses, and documenting WW2 Japanese American internment camps.
i didn't think anyone was criticizing what a photographer thought s/he needed to take for such an attempt

my one attempt to photograph an eclipse failed utterly due to cloud cover

( unusual for me, usually my biggest problem is " operator error " )
06-26-2019, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
This is my plan for the 2024 eclipse, which will be passing just 30 minutes West of me. I don't think I'll be able to match the quality of the best filled frame images that
will be captured, so I plan to take wider shots that record the overall scene. However, my first priority, far and above getting a picture, will be to enjoy the experience.
This will be the first total eclipse I've ever seen and I don't want to be distracted with an attempt to preserve the moment while actually not experiencing the moment.
I'll get the cameras setup ahead of time but then they'll be on autopilot while the eclipse is occurring.
Many people feel as you do that an eclipse is time to just "enjoy the experience." I can certainly respect that.

For me (and this is entirely a personal opinion which many may disagree with), trying to preserve the moment actually intensifies the event by orders of magnitude -- making it longer, deeper, and more satisfying.

In the case of eclipse, these event intensifiers included:
1) the research into the various phases and features of an eclipse so I learn what I am seeing and what it means;
2) learning to use new tools to predict exactly where the sun will be in the sky and what focal length and exposure setting I will need to take the a decent wide angle shot;
3) reading about all the cool science in history that has gone into predicting and understanding eclipses;
4) the exhilaration of trying to set everything up; and
5) finally, the photos help me remember all I did and saw

An eclipse really is a very visceral experience -- wondrous and upsetting to any brain with decades of experience and expectations about what daytime should be like. It really is mind blowing!

An eclipse also is a very "enlightening" experience -- wondrous and uplifting to any brain with a desire to learn about the universe, history, and photography. It is also mind expanding!

06-26-2019, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
This is my plan for the 2024 eclipse, which will be passing just 30 minutes West of me.
I looked long and hard for a space related sign like this to have in the picture with the eclipse. I couldn't find one in my search area. But I hope it will give you some ideas for your eclipse photo.

06-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

No view camera?
06-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I photographed the crowd - NASA can do a better job than I can of photographing the sun.