Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many years ago in my film days I use to make a buck or two doing weddings and portraits for friends and acquaintances. Very low key (in the financial sense, not the tonal sense) for people on a tight budget. I explained that I was only a hobbyist photographer, but that if they didn't need pro results I could take some decent quality shots for very little money so at least they would have some record of the event. It worked well. I had a day job, and only did this on rare occasions. However...

It occurred to me that I may be able to drum up some projects if I had a business card so that I looked somewhat legit. I'm talking to you hobbyists out there, not the pros who need business cards. I had a couple hundred made and in the grand scheme handed out maybe a dozen all told. The card indicated what kind of work I did - 'Weddings', 'Portraits', 'Special Interest', etc. If the OP could hand the lady a card that included the word 'Architecture' in the scope of subjects he covered, it would convey:
1. He's a legitimate photographer, since he has a business card (even if he's really only a hobbyist)
2. Taking pictures of buildings is something he does regularly

It seems like that might help to calm the lady's fears. He's not a creep; he hands her a card with contact information. And who knows, maybe her daughter is getting married!

06-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
...It seems like that might help to calm the lady's fears. He's not a creep; he hands her a card with contact information. And who knows, maybe her daughter is getting married!
I disagree with handing out contact info in the OP's stated incident. If it didn't calm the irate person, that person would then know how to find the OP.
06-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
The incident I had today was with an extremely large woman too.

A trend, or a coincidence?
It's because they're miserable and want to make everyone around them miserable as well.
06-28-2019, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
It's because they're miserable and want to make everyone around them miserable as well.
I’ve always found the larger ladies tend to be quite jolly.It’s the skinny ones who starve themselves who have more to be miserable about!!

Last edited by timb64; 06-28-2019 at 12:22 PM.
06-28-2019, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Irrational people don't care about the law, a copy of the law wouldn't have done anything.
Also people who wield power however meager also won't change their mind being confronted with their ignorance.
06-28-2019, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It seems like I get confronted the most when I'm using one of my larger cameras/lenses and a tripod.

I'm getting mighty tired of these regular confrontations (had another one today). Maybe I'll have to gradually move back to smaller sensor camera systems so I don't attract as much attention?
06-28-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It seems like I get confronted the most when I'm using one of my larger cameras/lenses and a tripod.

I'm getting mighty tired of these regular confrontations (had another one today). Maybe I'll have to gradually move back to smaller sensor camera systems so I don't attract as much attention?
It’s a joke ,because if you really wanted to take photos of people surreptitiously you’d use a phone not a “huge” camera/lens combination.

06-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
None of my photos EVER have ANY people in them. I'm not "surreptictiously" taking people photos because I never photograph people.

That's my main point, it's getting so ugly out there in public that photographers are even getting confronted when taking non-people photos.
06-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd certainly recommend having one for this specific purpose, Dave. Maybe an inexpensive, used, smaller m43 body and a single wide angle or zoom lens - or, as I mentioned, a Q7 or Q-S1... or even a nice compact. You won't get the same image quality as with an APS-C or full frame DSLR, but depending on lighting conditions, post-processing and final reproduction size, that probably won't matter.

I love my DSLR equipment, but it's an attention magnet. I have a little 2012-vintage Fujifilm XF-1 that I shoot occasionally, and few people notice it. Most of those that do don't give it a second glance, probably because it looks like your average compact camera. But it shoots raw files and delivers really nice images. Like my Q7, it's no replacement for my DSLRs... but it lets me take photos in situations where I wouldn't otherwise get them (for a variety of reasons). And the image quality is remarkably good, especially at lower ISO settings. As an additional tool in my arsenal, it's invaluable
06-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Maybe an inexpensive, used, smaller m43 body and a single wide angle or zoom lens - or, as I mentioned, a Q7 or Q-S1... or even a nice compact.
Ricoh GRIII? (expensive I know) GRII?
06-28-2019, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Your supreme Court has already ruled that photography is a protected first amendment right.
It has also decided that the Bill of Rights is subject to "reasonable regulation", particularly by the states. The United States is not a hierarchical governmental form; the U.S. and the states are different and parallel KINDS of government. The Bill of Rights places restrictions on the U.S., not the states, but the Sup. Ct. has determined that the rights are subsumed under the "due process" clause of the 14th Amendment by which they are applied to the states. But the states have lots of laws that would violate the Bill of Rights, e.g., defamation, restrictions on photography that shows a person's body or underwear in contexts in which that person has a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (as has been previously noted).

It's critical to know the laws where you live, and especially not to assume that the laws that normally apply where you live also apply in foreign states to which you travel (such as Delaware, France, New Jersey, Kenya, Texas, etc.). Remember the U.S. kid who wound up in a N. Korean jail because he thought it would be ok to save a poster as a souvenir?
06-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #57
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Ricoh GRIII? (expensive I know) GRII?
I'd love either of those... but my own budget wouldn't stretch to that; at least, not for the use I would get out of it. But if funds allow, sure!
06-28-2019, 06:45 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In this age of social (really?) media, instant outrage is more and more becoming the norm. It's almost as if some people think in hash tags #!!!#. People go from zero to outraged in 60 seconds or less. Sometimes I wonder if many people aren't just overstimulated by all the news, noise, and visual stimuli we are bombarded with every day. Photography has always been a way for me to calm my mind and be more observant of the world around me. I'm a social worker by profession. There are a lot of people walking around with undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues. Not engaging and walking away is probably the safest strategy.
06-29-2019, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #59
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
In this age of social (really?) media, instant outrage is more and more becoming the norm. It's almost as if some people think in hash tags #!!!#. People go from zero to outraged in 60 seconds or less. Sometimes I wonder if many people aren't just overstimulated by all the news, noise, and visual stimuli we are bombarded with every day. Photography has always been a way for me to calm my mind and be more observant of the world around me. I'm a social worker by profession. There are a lot of people walking around with undiagnosed and untreated mental health issues. Not engaging and walking away is probably the safest strategy.
"Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth!", to quote the Cowardly Lion. Photography is a zen thing. If you can't clear your mind and be present in the moment, you can't take good pictures except by accident. And all those sick people walking around - our inbuilt mechanisms designed to make things economical for us mentally, such as projection and completion, make us think those whack-jobs are just like us, because they walk on two legs and speak our language. We can't see what's going on inside their heads, so we assume everything is as we would expect it to be (defined mainly by what the inside of our own heads is like). So, if I can add a bit of pontification, be careful how you tread with everyone.
07-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Many years ago in my film days I use to make a buck or two doing weddings and portraits for friends and acquaintances. Very low key (in the financial sense, not the tonal sense) for people on a tight budget. I explained that I was only a hobbyist photographer, but that if they didn't need pro results I could take some decent quality shots for very little money so at least they would have some record of the event. It worked well. I had a day job, and only did this on rare occasions. However...

It occurred to me that I may be able to drum up some projects if I had a business card so that I looked somewhat legit. I'm talking to you hobbyists out there, not the pros who need business cards. I had a couple hundred made and in the grand scheme handed out maybe a dozen all told. The card indicated what kind of work I did - 'Weddings', 'Portraits', 'Special Interest', etc. If the OP could hand the lady a card that included the word 'Architecture' in the scope of subjects he covered, it would convey:
1. He's a legitimate photographer, since he has a business card (even if he's really only a hobbyist)
2. Taking pictures of buildings is something he does regularly

It seems like that might help to calm the lady's fears. He's not a creep; he hands her a card with contact information. And who knows, maybe her daughter is getting married!
Be careful this doesnt turn you into a business insurance & tax wise

---------- Post added 07-03-19 at 05:38 PM ----------

I would rely on my somewhat anti social cattle dog to keep the nutters at a safe distance, (for them)