Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2019, 02:26 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
3DPrinting a MX Grip

Using a FlashForge Dreamer 3DPrinter and Makers Empire software and rough (very rough) design skills, I have prototyped a grip for the MX camera in white ABS plastic.
Advantages over the Pentax winder are low weight, low cost, and more streamlined. I had a winder but never used it as it increased the bulk and weight and I never loaded it with batteries and used the winder function other than to test it. It was to help hold the longer heavier lenses on the small body.
I was out today with the M 135 3.5 and the grip just made the small camera body a little easier to control.
Like most after market grips it screws into the tripod mount, replicates the shape of the base plate and places the grip under the right hand fingers between strap lug and self timer switch. DOF preview lever is still operable. Maximum height of the grip from the front of the body is 24mm or so.
I had a couple of locking screws that fit the tripod screw but have used one that replicates the tripod hole in the centre so the grip doesn't need to be removed in order to place it on a tripod.
I checked elsewhere on the forums and on thingiverse but no one has put a similar 'solution' out to share.
After using this prototype for a few days I'll make version three and put the stl file on thingiverse.
Pictures to follow.

Attached Images

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 07-02-2019 at 02:38 AM.
07-14-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Take two:
I used the grip for a week with the 135mm M 3.5 lens (which is not particularly long or heavy) and noted a few issues.
- The 5mm height of the base allowed the top of the grip to flex a 2-3 millimetres when in use.
- The base also did not add sufficient space to carry the little finger, so only the middle two fingers rested on the grip comfortably with the index finger on the shutter button.
- The grip was too close to the palm so was a little awkward and a bit too skinny.

In this version the base plate is now 10mm deep, and the edge filleted so it is more comfortable in the palm and no longer flexes as much - but still a mm or less with this ABS plastic.
Three fingers now fit on the grip and allow more torque control of the MX body and the fingers fit comfortably around the new grip shape with enough purchase to hold it strongly even without the wrist strap.
The index finger is still able to operate the dof operation - self timer will not work with the grip on but this function unlikely to be required with a long lens.
The grip plus locking screw weighs 30grams in this ABS plastic. 6 grams of that is the screw. This adds very little to the weight but lots to the ergonomics.

Thoughts any one?

07-14-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a grip of similar design for my Pentax MX, made of metal and plastic.
Unfortunately when installed use of DOF preview lever becomes difficult.

Chris
07-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How hard would it be to add a slot for an extra set of batteries?

-Eric

07-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
How hard would it be to add a slot for an extra set of batteries?
Trivial exercise to drop in a couple of recesses to carry a couple of LR44s in the top surface of the base on either side of the tripod mount hole. Could make them snug fitting to friction hold them in place or just put a piece of gaffer tape over the hole to not lose them when the base is removed. (Why didn't I think of that?). I did think about putting some lettering on that top surface to say PENTAX MX or similar.
07-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I was thinking this: Take off the strap and triangular ring. Move the upright part of the grip so that it goes over the lug. Make a hole in the top of the grip so you can slide a larger round ring through the grip and lug at the same time, and attach the strap to that ring. That pins the top of the grip in place so you don't have all the stress where the upright meets the bottom plate part. It would give you more room between the upright part and the DOF preview/self timer lever.
07-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Dave,
This would more closely resemble the placement of the finger grip on the motor winder.
I will have a play. Another modification could be to inset the surface of the finger grip to allow for a leatherette grip material to be added.
And print in red like the new KR grip.