Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2019, 02:34 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They're 'having a lend of you', Lana, as us Aussies would say. Not sure of an American equivalent ... they're 'pulling your leg'?

Would love to hear someone defending it. The subjugation of humanity (cropped figure) by urban architecture's a tenuous explanation.

07-09-2019, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They're 'having a lend of you', Lana, as us Aussies would say. Not sure of an American equivalent ... they're 'pulling your leg'?

Would love to hear someone defending it. The subjugation of humanity (cropped figure) by urban architecture's a tenuous explanation.
Hadn't heard that one. The American is common. You are not taking the piss are you as they do on that northern island?
07-09-2019, 03:00 AM - 5 Likes   #18
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"art" is subjective and I've never understood people that berate or 'feel sorry' for others that don't get it... maybe that is the only way they can feel better about themselves...

I would have laughed at myself as I was deleting that photo, probably mumbling something along the lines of ".... that was awful..."

something else came to mind, just as I was about to hit 'post' - something about the emperor's new clothes, etc...

(:
07-09-2019, 03:00 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Art is about doing something that inspires emotions or deeper thoughts in the viewers. Those can be uplifting or depressing or something else. This particular photo doesn't do anything for me and feels like a random (poorly framed) snap shot that is a bit underexposed.

That said, since art is person specific, I would hesitate to castigate it too much. Just because something doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't speak to someone else.

I would say with regard to your art, Lana, that the most important thing for you is that you develop a vision of what you want your photos to say and try to use photographic techniques to develop that. As Shakespeare said, "To thine ownself be true."

07-09-2019, 03:33 AM   #20
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Art is about doing something that inspires emotions or deeper thoughts in the viewers. Those can be uplifting or depressing or something else. This particular photo doesn't do anything for me and feels like a random (poorly framed) snap shot that is a bit underexposed.

That said, since art is person specific, I would hesitate to castigate it too much. Just because something doesn't work for me doesn't mean it won't speak to someone else.

I would say with regard to your art, Lana, that the most important thing for you is that you develop a vision of what you want your photos to say and try to use photographic techniques to develop that. As Shakespeare said, "To thine ownself be true."
I'm in complete agreement with all that, though I'd add that I think that while the image in question is not great art, it is interesting. The reason it's interesting is the juxtaposition of textures and the angle of the light and resultant shadows. Some of what I think is important in photography is the recordation of an observation - if one is open to the world around him (instead of having his head buzzing all the time with internal dialog) he sees things that other people miss. Part of what I seek in photography is a return to a time when I was a little kid, just taking in the world around me, uninterpreted by the big folks. Just seeing what's really there. Wondering. Looking at things from odd perspectives just for fun. Which of the busy people who walk by the subject of that picture (whatever it is) will ever notice how the light filters past the objects, or how the texture of the concrete compares with that of the dark whatsit? Most people are oblivious, and a picture like this can take them out of their own mind for a moment to actually "see". Who knows, it could lead to an epiphany that will change their lives. (I know, I'm too optimistic about the humans. I have hope, nevertheless.)

Here's another picture I found interesting for the same reason, again, not "great art", but absorbing:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/372957-mid-telephoto-club...ml#post4482547
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
K-1 & M120/f2.8
and a bunch more:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/1...hots-here.html

Last edited by dlh; 07-09-2019 at 04:03 AM.
07-09-2019, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #21

Top left corner appears to be someone's hand and partial leg caught in the framing.

I'm not sure what art truly is, as stated it is very subjective. I'm with you on this photo, I'm not sure I see anything special that makes it pop for me, but that's just me. I see repeated patterns and shapes but that's about it. This would not be a keeper in my files.

---------- Post added 07-09-19 at 03:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I'm in complete agreement with all that, though I'd add that I think that while the image in question is not great art, it is interesting. The reason it's interesting is the juxtaposition of textures and the angle of the light and resultant shadows. Some of what I think is important in photography is the recordation of an observation - if one is open to the world around him (instead of having his head buzzing all the time with internal dialog) he sees things that other people miss. Part of what I seek in photography is a return to a time when I was a little kid, just taking in the world around me, uninterpreted by the big folks. Just seeing what's really there. Looking at things from odd perspectives just for fun. Which of the busy people who walk by the subject of that picture (whatever it is) will ever notice how the light filters past the objects, or how the texture of the concrete compares with that of the dark whatsit? Most people are oblivious, and a picture like this can take them out of their own mind for a moment to actually "see". Who knows, it could lead to an epiphany that will change their lives. (I know, I'm too optimistic about the humans. I have hope, nevertheless.)
Yes, and that's the beauty of art. Everyone will have their own idea on what pleases their eye. You mentioned the angle of the light. I find the light lacking and the photo to be dim in need of better exposure. But that's just me.

Last edited by kevinWE; 07-09-2019 at 03:59 AM.
07-09-2019, 04:25 AM - 4 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was. Probably taken with a Sony. That would automatically qualify it as art.
07-09-2019, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #23

Don't think. Feel.
It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Donít concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all that heavenly glory.

07-09-2019, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #24

Beauty is on the eye of the beholder. In this case Iím not holden
07-09-2019, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

This is one of those Rorschach test photographs in which the image itself means nothing but the viewer thinks it must mean something because it was taken by a famous photographer.

Thus, rather than communicate a specific something, the image sparks a random sequence of "deep" psychobabble literary criticism thoughts on the meaning of barriers and bollards, dark hunched figures, the lone hand at the edge (ready to give money to the hunched drunk or wave him off in disgust?), etc. A college essay on the image might be titled "Alienation and Artifacts of Urban Modernity" or some other polysyllabic confabulation.

Thus, the image is a kind of white noise image with no clear message but clearly trying to make the viewer hallucinate a meaning.
07-09-2019, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
It was. Probably taken with a Sony. That would automatically qualify it as art.
You really have to see it on the evf. It loses in translation.😀.

I really think it's a joke. Quickly taken picture of something that looks like squatting and defecating.
"If you don't get it I feel sorry for you." You have no sense of humor is implied.
07-09-2019, 05:19 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The potter Grayson Perry tells ho one of his Art College teachers defined his on 'scrap heap challenge' - that is, if you found the object on a scrap heap, would you realise it as art. I can't see anything that differentiates the picture from a randon accidental firing of the shutter - and I've 'taken' some better ones of those

Last edited by ffking; 07-09-2019 at 11:58 PM.
07-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Sometimes it helps if we define what we talk about. Art is a selective recreation or selection of reality for a purpose. It brings intangible values (conceptional ideas), to the perceptual level where we can embrace them more easily. For example, one may be taken with thoughts of the striking eyes of someone. In order to emphasize and admire this aspect, one could artistically paint or draw the face with a total focus on the eyes dominating, while leaving the remainder in lighter and softer tones.

Thus one isn't limited to remembering the face or a photo of it, because neither of those exemplify what YOU are responding to, and can now perceive. Or another example may portray a sports hero in action. While an accurate photo may accomplish this, it won't emphasize what appeals to you. Art (the tangible) has meaning when awakens thoughts and emotions and speaks to them. To me, this is why modern art is more suited to napkin or wall paper design than profound human feelings.
07-09-2019, 05:42 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a right mouse click on the image and selected "Search Google for Image". It got into category "concrete". And there are a lot of other photographers images found much more interesting. Could this be this is the main purpose of it?
07-09-2019, 05:55 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've probably taken more than my fair share of bad pictures and odd ones that probably weren't keepers. Some I thought were good at the time but now understand where things went off the rails. I've even taken pictures similar to this one. However the ones similar to this were never taken because I thought they were good but because I am trying to learn how something works so I point my camera and usually newly acquired lens or other new gear in some general direction just to try something out.