Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you see something that I can't see?

Long story short, I expressed my opinion about one of the famous photographer's work, that his images are like white noise to me, and got the response from another well known photographer that he feels sorry for me.

Then I posted the screenshot of one of his images telling that I usually delete all images like this one. And got the advise to keep something like that instead of deleting it.

I asked why? What's exactly so special about this image? Did not get the answer yet.

What do you think guys? Is it about "nothing", or I really can't see how special this image is? Should I develop my artistic vision somehow?

Attached Images

07-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not sure

Well I guess there must have been something that attracted you to take that picture, if you can remember what it was then you may be able to find it in post processing the image to bring it out.
07-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Well I guess there must have been something that attracted you to take that picture, if you can remember what it was then you may be able to find it in post processing the image to bring it out.
This is not my image. This is the image I brought to the photographer to ask what really special he sees in there what I can't see therefore he feels sorry for me. For my lack of artistic vision, I guess.

This is the work of one of well known modern Russian photographers. I intentionally don't disclose his name. I opened this thread not to critique someone's work, but to understand where I stand in understanding the art of photography. I know for sure that I do have the problem with selecting my own work, it's true. Am I artistically blind?

Last edited by micromacro; 07-08-2019 at 08:27 PM.
07-08-2019, 11:40 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I'm with you Lana,it wouldn't have survived the first cull run when reviewing my shots.

07-08-2019, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
What do you think guys? Is it about "nothing", or I really can't see how special this image is? Should I develop my artistic vision somehow?
Well... personally, the image doesn't float my boat. And as for artistic vision... that's a pretty subjective topic. Not easy to define as it's very much in they eye of the beholder.

I think your questions about the image are legitimate, and if the maker is suggesting that you keep that type of image, they should explain why they would keep it. Their reason may, or may not, resonate with you, and there is nothing wrong with that. But they should respond. Hopefully he/she will.
07-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

This is not my image. This is the image I brought to the photographer to ask what really special he sees in there what I can't see therefore he feels sorry for me. For my lack of artistic vision, I guess.

This is the work of one of well known modern Russian photographers. I intentionally don't disclose his name. I opened this thread not to critique someone's work, but to understand where I stand in understanding the art of photography. I know for sure that I do have the problem with selecting my own work, it's true. Am I artistically blind?
Oops I missed that it was someone else's image, I guess great art has escaped me here
07-09-2019, 12:33 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
He can feel sorry for me as well

07-09-2019, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Long story short, I expressed my opinion about one of the famous photographer's work, that his images are like white noise to me, and got the response from another well known photographer that he feels sorry for me.

Then I posted the screenshot of one of his images telling that I usually delete all images like this one. And got the advise to keep something like that instead of deleting it.

I asked why? What's exactly so special about this image? Did not get the answer yet.

Is that the entire image? It looks like a crop from an image in which something interesting may be happening in another part of it.

I like to think I wouldn't even have pressed the shutter button for an image like that, never mind having to cull it from the day's output.
07-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The way the light gradient and grates flow around the heavy central object and the concrete blocks me from the only humanity barely in the frame?
I would have deleted it.
07-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delete - don't feel sorry for me, please
07-09-2019, 01:16 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

And there was me looking at the way the human race are almost totally obscured, and their monstrous artefacts are slowly but surely taking over the world. I was taking it as a microcosm of the wholesale destruction the human race has wrought upon the planet, and assuming that the twisted lump represents the debasement of 'Art' as we know it as well.
07-09-2019, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Art, especially "Modern Art", is a matter of individual and subjective perception.

Every time I visit a Museum of Modern Art I see pieces which I perceive as special, but also exhibits that make me wonder why they are on display.

The picture shown is the latter. I'll leave it to somebody else to hang it on their wall.
07-09-2019, 01:51 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

In the world of internet photography forums and "how-to" sites, concepts of what counts as quality are usually defined by commercial and so-called "fine art" photographers. The money comes from convincing amateurs that they need to buy lots of gear to take those sorts of photos. People in that interpretive community will tend to hate the example photo.

In the world of actual art photography, concepts of quality are usually defined by museum and gallery curators and are based on subverting or rejecting the look of commercial photography. The money comes from convincing rich collectors that they are part of the cognoscenti because they can see the supposed artistic quality of photos such as the one above. People in that interpretive community will tend to like (or feel they should like) the example photo.

We're all free to choose to ignore those definitions and define what we think of as quality for ourselves. I think I'm personally somewhere between the two camps. I'm certainly not interested in trying to replicate the soulless, over-processed look of "fine art" photography, which isn't fine and isn't art as far I'm concerned. But like most people in this thread I'd have immediately deleted that example photo too, because it goes so far in rejecting the commercial photography aesthetic that it looks merely technically inept.

Edit: I usually post this link whenever this sort of thread turns up, and I'm going to do it again here: The Online Photographer: Great Photographers on the Internet. Also: The Online Photographer: Great Photographers on the Internet, Part II

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 07-09-2019 at 02:04 AM.
07-09-2019, 01:54 AM   #14
Inactive Account

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I feel sorry for myself. Sometime it hard to understand photo like that. I can view it as a funny image when the person seems to be so heavy. the seemingly metal pole bend when the person sits on it, but really... I don't get it.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 07-09-2019 at 02:03 AM.
07-09-2019, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't get it either.

Maybe it's an experiment from the original photographer, to see how many people are just kissing his behind, and who will call BS on him.