Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2019, 02:31 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The "cleverness" of this image is lost on me too... but hey, "whatever floats yer boat"
I'm thinking that if he would submit the image to PEG he could get some good critique on it, but somehow I doubt if it would make the cut.

07-10-2019, 02:43 AM   #62
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
but somehow I doubt if it would make the cut.
I'd like to think our illustrious judges would not see fit to pass this into PEG, but it's not my call...

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-10-2019 at 05:51 AM.
07-10-2019, 05:37 AM - 3 Likes   #63
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
You saw something I obviously can't. How long did it take you see that? I mean, the texture, the angle of light and the shadows? I've been starring for quite of time to find nothing.

I totally agree with you that observation and openness to the world is important in photography, perhaps it's even one of the principals in photographic art.

I hardly agree that his intentions are all about to show the things that many of us may miss. I feel like he intentionally brings "something in nothing" as a concept, most likely the emotional response to nothing. Like when you think deeply about something, or you are dreaming while starring at some point in space around, it does not matter what spot, you just rest your eyes on it. I may see that concept in prints at exhibition. By other words, this image may be the part of such conceptual image series in a single exhibition room.

I don't do prints often, and I don't have any experience with printing at home. Can it be a reason of limited vision?

---------- Post added 07-09-19 at 08:08 PM ----------

I'm not a big fan of Warhol, and it also makes me thinking that my artistic vision is underdeveloped. Instead of thinking that simply I'm not his fan, and it's totally fine

I have no idea what the author's "intent" was, or even whether he had any specific intention at all. When I saw the picture, I thought it was interesting. It was interesting in the same way that I thought the random nature of the pits on the surface of a concrete curb were interesting when I was a kid sitting on that curb in front of my house. Or the way the little green hulls show up on the sidewalk under a Lombardy Poplar. See, I'm actually a seven-year-old trapped in the body of a fat old geezer. I'm endlessly fascinated by the orderly randomness of the physical universe. Can't say that I'd spend a lot of time meditating on that one image; the fact that I find it interesting doesn't mean I think it's worth keeping. And someone said something about the lack of color, but being color-blind, I didn't even notice that fact until it was pointed out; it triggers a pet-peeve, though - conversion of a color image to monochrome doesn't make it the equal of a print made from real black-and-white film.

I have the impression, from looking at hundreds or thousands of pictures on this website, that lots and lots are simply reflective of the author's observation and capture of something that struck him as "interesting". Such pictures aren't generally "of" something in particular, but more about how the light falls on a piece of open-grained wood, for example. Or the way a brass faucet valve is bright in some places and tarnished in others. Frankly, I like those pictures a lot better than those that simply record visual facts. I really admire the pictures of birds and insects, but don't do much of that kind of photography, myself. The way a bug looks is merely a fact, and not all that interesting to the non-entomologically inclined. I really take such pictures just because I like to experiment with the lenses; I admire the techniques and composition, not the subjects, so much. A few folks have made an analogy to Rohrschach tests, which makes perfect sense to me, because it's what my imagination brings to the picture that's rewarding for me; the content is merely a vehicle for my own contemplative flights of fancy.

As to "how long", I figure something you see is either interesting or it isn't - something one would know right off the bat. If you find yourself looking at a picture and thinking about finding something else to look at, that picture isn't worth spending time with, a purely subjective criterion.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 07-10-2019 at 05:59 AM.
07-10-2019, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I take an interest in the annual "Contact" photography festival held here in Toronto.
Home - Scotiabank CONTACT Photography Festival
A lot of the work is interesting, but often it's not so much about an arresting image as the layers of meaning expressed in very academic language in an "artist's statement" (which often includes the word "colonialization"). Which makes me wonder whether even arresting images can exist as art outside of cultural, religious etc.reference points.

07-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #65
Pentaxian

There is a Whole realm of photography I just don't get, Generally referred to as "Fine Art".

It may be my deficiency, I don't see a blurry, out of focus, shapeless image as interesting and attractive.

Guess I have a ways to go before I fit in with the "In" crowd
07-10-2019, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
See, I'm actually a seven-year-old trapped in the body of a fat old geezer. I'm endlessly fascinated by the orderly randomness of the physical universe.
That makes lot of sense. I'm somewhere thirty five yo trapped in the body of aging woman. She is strong energetic control freak who suppresses the inner child completely. She turns on every time I turn the camera on. I've never thought about that before, thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
As to "how long", I figure something you see is either interesting or it isn't - something one would know right off the bat. If you find yourself looking at a picture and thinking about finding something else to look at, that picture isn't worth spending time with, a purely subjective criterion.
True, another good reminder.
07-10-2019, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nihilism comes to mind.
Perhaps I should reconsider my position because within 40 posts, that photo has caused some to contemplate "meaning of life" issues.

I'm reminded that everything has some use: it can always be used as a bad example.

07-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Original Poster

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
There is a Whole realm of photography I just don't get, Generally referred to as "Fine Art".

It may be my deficiency, I don't see a blurry, out of focus, shapeless image as interesting and attractive.
I'm somewhere on the middle. I really don't like this modern obsession with sharpness. I could not stand some local contest judges who often under-graded truly amazing images for the lack of sharpness, even when it was no need for sharpness at all. Out of focus can be a powerful tool to bring an emotional response, but not as simple excuse for poor focusing.
07-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Out of focus can be a powerful tool to bring an emotional response, but not as simple excuse for poor focusing.
Well there one needs to own the out of focus of the image and make it deliberate. I've taken those, shoot wide open lean on dark and light and the spacial arrangement of things. Of course with those images I did make the choice to do that, some worked well (a Christmas tree with lights on), others not so much. It also wasn't like it was a little out of focus either, for the Christmas tree it was giant brightly colored bokeh balls piled up in the shape of the Christmas tree with tungsten light illuminating the walls giving them that warm orange glow. Some times it works like that, I've seen others using silhouettes or shadows that have turned out very nice as well, but again the photographer was owning the out of focus aspect.
07-10-2019, 01:53 PM - 3 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

I think the image has served its purpose very well - it has stimulated five pages of non-political animated discussion !!
07-10-2019, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Perhaps I should reconsider my position because within 40 posts, that photo has caused some to contemplate "meaning of life" issues.

I'm reminded that everything has some use: it can always be used as a bad example.
Theere are no rules, and there is no reality.
07-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There are no rules, and there is no reality.
'Do What Thou Wilt'

shall be the whole of the law - Sir Francis Dashwood
07-10-2019, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not to defend either camp here, but I have to wonder whether the image in the op’s post is a random shot, or one of a series. Many times fine art photos are a series when displayed in a gallery, but bought individually and displayed individually, if you don’t know the work, or the artist, some of the meaning gets lost. A single image on its own really might only mean something to the purchaser, or someone who knew the whole collection
07-10-2019, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not to defend either camp here, but I have to wonder whether the image in the op’s post is a random shot, or one of a series. Many times fine art photos are a series when displayed in a gallery, but bought individually and displayed individually, if you don’t know the work, or the artist, some of the meaning gets lost. A single image on its own really might only mean something to the purchaser, or someone who knew the whole collection
Sure, Lowell, but somebody has to establish that, persuade us with evidence.

Clement Greenberg did that to the world for Jackson Pollock.
07-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I don't see anything good about it, not one aspect.