Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2019, 06:30 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Camera That Went To The Moon And Changed How We See It

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just finished reading this article about the cameras and photography during the US space program up to the lunar landings.

How NASA Chose The Camera That Went To The Moon : NPR

Fascinating story.

07-13-2019, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for posting this!

As a young lad in the 1960's, I was totally transfixed on the space programs and especially Apollo. I certainly remember what I was doing during the night of 20 July 1969 -- camped out on our living room floor in front of a B&W TV.

- Craig
07-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Thanks for posting this!

As a young lad in the 1960's, I was totally transfixed on the space programs and especially Apollo. I certainly remember what I was doing during the night of 20 July 1969 -- camped out on our living room floor in front of a B&W TV.

- Craig
You might enjoy this blog post, then, about Julian Scheer: “perhaps his biggest achievement was his fight with NASA engineers to get a television camera on board the lunar lander ‘Eagle.’”

https://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/index.php/2014/02/from-richmond-to-chapel-h...e-to-the-moon/
07-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Thanks for posting this!

- Craig
Yeah. I was glued to the tube as well. My dad set his camera up and took pictures of the TV screen as Neil Armstrong came down the ladder.
If they aren’t faded, I have slides somewhere of the first step onto the moon taken just a few seconds after the moment somewhere in my basement.

07-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I wonder how much money they would be worth if brought back from the moon.
07-14-2019, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Television was still more than 10 years in the future for Luderitzbucht, a small coastal village in the Namibian desert when the moon landings happened, but we did tune into short wave radio broadcast and I still remember the commander of Apollo 12 saying ' lift off, we have a lift off ' , sounding totally relaxed, when they departed from the moon. The photos came later and it was spectacular. Thanks for posting!
07-14-2019, 02:12 AM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
I wonder how much money they would be worth if brought back from the moon.
One of them was and was bought by the owner of the Japanese camera store Yodobashi in 2014. It cost him $910,000.

The only camera to make it to the moon and back sells at auction for $910,000 - The Verge

My understanding it that it has been on display in one of the stores but I'm not sure where it is normally kept.

07-14-2019, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The Camera That Went To The Moon
Thanks for the link, really interesting read.
07-14-2019, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

One of the 16mm video cameras made it back as well, in a secret stash found in Neil Armstrong's closet after his death.

The Armstrong Purse: Flown Apollo 11 Lunar Artifacts | National Air and Space Museum
07-14-2019, 03:45 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yeah. I was glued to the tube as well. My dad set his camera up and took pictures of the TV screen as Neil Armstrong came down the ladder.
If they aren’t faded, I have slides somewhere of the first step onto the moon taken just a few seconds after the moment somewhere in my basement.
yes, thanks for posting

I was 12 and part of a large group of Scouts, who sat for hours on a hot night in an uncooled dining lodge at Camp Heffernan watching a small b/w television waiting for the first man on the moon to get out of the lander

[ Camp Heffernan is a former Boy Scout camp owned by the Corn Belt Council *. It is located north of Normal, Illinois on Lake Bloomington. It is now owned by Easter Seals of Central Illinois and as been renamed Timber Pointe Outdoor Center.]

* = [ Formerly the Starved Rock Area Council, Corn Belt Council and the Creve Coeur Council, W.D. Boyce Council was created by merger and renamed in 1972 in honor of the founder of the BSA, whose grave and monument lie overlooking the Illinois River not far from the Ottawa Scouting Museum in Ottawa, Illinois. ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-14-2019 at 05:55 AM.
07-14-2019, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. For me it is jawdropping to learn that the NASA left the choice of camera to the astronaut. And did not instruct astronauts to take pictures of each other.

In today‘s world documenting everything, including a lot of not-so-important details, in photographs has become an essential part of our lifestyle.

It seems that these were quite different times then.

Last edited by Snafu711; 07-14-2019 at 05:36 AM.
07-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My dad set his camera up and took pictures of the TV screen as Neil Armstrong came down the ladder.If they aren’t faded, I have slides somewhere of the first step onto the moon taken just a few seconds after the moment
Same here. I just found them, but haven't looked at them yet. I know fighter/test pilots like to wear wrist watches, but one on both arms?
07-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My dad was in the photographic industry. And I was a typical kid obsessed with space. I was given several large metal poster sized hassleblad prints (advertising) of the moon photos. Sadly these have long since been lost in various moves.

Based on this it may not have been on metal, but it felt cold and it was rigid. I didn't have this specific shot, nor the packing materials. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273114899911

Last edited by UncleVanya; 07-14-2019 at 08:28 AM.
07-14-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the 1960's my bedroom walls were decorated with numerous photos from
National Geographic magazine documenting the NASA manned space missions.

Chris
07-15-2019, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also remember watching the landing on TV.

A local new paper called the "Vancouver Sun", put out a special edition called the "Vancouver Moon". (Wish I had kept the paper)

Phil.