Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2019, 10:33 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
20 Of The Most Iconic Photographs And The Cameras That Captured Them

Seeing the camera with the photograph is interesting. Many of the photographs are disturbing.
20 Of The Most Iconic Photographs And The Cameras That Captured Them | Bored Panda

07-18-2019, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #2

Thanks for sharing.
I would add this photograph: The Bare-chested Man in front of the Occupiers’ Tank.
The photograph by Ladislav Bielik from the first day of the invasion of Czechoslovakia in Bratislava by Warsaw Pact troops on August 21, 1968, circulated across the globe. It became an iconic image bringing a deep and permanent legacy about the threat of injustice and violence committed by those in power.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
  Photo 
07-19-2019, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'm old and I've seen the Nick Ut photo hundreds of times including when it was first published which was when I was just a little kid. And now this is the first time I've seen it pixelated. What's happening to us? The paradox is now everything is apparently sexualised and at the same time we need to be protected from it. Once upon a time we were treated as adults.
07-19-2019, 05:23 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was cool to see so many important photos (iconic? give me a break) in one place, though I was a little disappointed that pictures of the cameras were the best the editors could find as representative. Find me a Petri...any Petri...re-use the photo of the crummy Crown Graphic...again...again...Nice Nikon F...again...again...again

Steve

07-19-2019, 06:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Not a Pentax in the bunch, unless I missed it?
07-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m struck by the number of Leicas - rangefinders in general - though I guess not surprised. The Speedgraphics make sense as journalist cameras of the time. I guess I won’t sell my FE2 and 35-70, though the meaning is all in my head.
07-19-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand it - no eye-AF, no AF even - no exposure metering - no 40+ MP sensors (film??) - how could the photographers have taken 'iconic' pictures???

07-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I don't understand it - no eye-AF, no AF even - no exposure metering - no 40+ MP sensors (film??) - how could the photographers have taken 'iconic' pictures???
Guess they just didn't know much about photography yet then, right?
LOL
Of course, it wasn't until everyone had a computer that we were told we needed all the electronics. We just didn't know any better before.
07-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If I'd bought one of those Speed Graphic cameras I would have been famous by now.

But I always wanted one. It wasn't for lack of wishing.
07-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If I'd bought one of those Speed Graphic cameras I would have been famous by now.
Archival would have been essential.
07-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Archival would have been essential.
Just good processing.

A friend had a print from a well known photographer, (as if that makes any difference to his using expired developer or not fixing long enough.) It was a typical old horse drawn raker in field of grass. The images was degrading because it hadn't been washed long enough after fixing, it was yellow and the emulsion was actually separating from the paper . My brief comment was " This print didn't spend enough time in the wash." The response was "This was a really well known photographer with an excellent reputation." As I said, people know what they want to know.

Last edited by normhead; 07-19-2019 at 10:50 AM.