Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2019, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
BTW, Microsoft has a pretty good stitching program call Image Composite Editor. Comes in handy when you do not have a wide enough angle lens available. This is a composite of three shots taken at 28mm of Grand Prismatic Spring at Yellowstone NP. K1 with D FA 28-105mm lens mounted.

07-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Careful around the geysers I seem to remember the steam from some could wreck glass.
07-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
BTW, Microsoft has a pretty good stitching program call Image Composite Editor. Comes in handy when you do not have a wide enough angle lens available. This is a composite of three shots taken at 28mm of Grand Prismatic Spring at Yellowstone NP. K1 with D FA 28-105mm lens mounted.

Looks like the software does a good job of blending the steam.

---------- Post added 07-23-19 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
Careful around the geysers I seem to remember the steam from some could wreck glass.
Good point. I'll probably keep a UV or polarizer filter on at all times around the geysers and at Great Sand Dunes. Would rather replace a filter than a lens. Also, carrying two cameras I won't have to change lens in these areas either.
07-24-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
The water from the geysers and hot springs has lots of minerals dissolved in it. If it gets on your lens and dries it will leave a deposit behind. If your lens does not have some sort of filter over the front element, just be aware of which way the breeze is blowing and keep your hand over the front of the lens as you pass through it. No geyser showers either.

There is a trail that goes up in the hills behind Grand Prismatic Springs. Never open in May when I am there due to bear activity. About 1.5 miles each direction but you will get a shot of the springs that most people will never. There is also a trail to an overlook for the Old Faithful area. Not that long and a pretty easy climb. I did it in 2017 at age 66 with a pulled calf muscle. Great place to get a shot of Old Faithful in all her glory.

07-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, a grizzly may well have you on the menu as regular fare, though a black bear is not particularly safe either. If a black bear has my pack, it's his to keep and no, I don't want one checking out my tent to see if the smell of cookies and jerky means both are hidden in my sleeping bag. The parks give handouts at their entrance regarding bear safegy and are not lax in enforcing rules (intended mostly towards black bear) regarding food storage and camp hygiene. Both types of bears can run faster than you and the black bear is an excellent tree climber. Some say grizzly will not climb a tree, but prefer instead to simply shake their prey out of the branches.

Steve
I had read once upon a time, (about when the movie "Grizzly" came out. Jaws started a trend!) That Brown Bears, (Grizzly,) cannot climb trees after they reach about two years old as their claws are much too straight to dig in and support the weight of their body. the Black bear has no problems climbing tree at any age. We have them all over my area so even around the lake, you need to pay attention. You should anyways due to the large number of skunks wandering around here.
07-25-2019, 02:16 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The water from the geysers and hot springs has lots of minerals dissolved in it. If it gets on your lens and dries it will leave a deposit behind. If your lens does not have some sort of filter over the front element, just be aware of which way the breeze is blowing and keep your hand over the front of the lens as you pass through it. No geyser showers either.

There is a trail that goes up in the hills behind Grand Prismatic Springs. Never open in May when I am there due to bear activity. About 1.5 miles each direction but you will get a shot of the springs that most people will never. There is also a trail to an overlook for the Old Faithful area. Not that long and a pretty easy climb. I did it in 2017 at age 66 with a pulled calf muscle. Great place to get a shot of Old Faithful in all her glory.
I read about the trail behind Grand Prismatic Spring. I believe it's a branch off the Fairy Falls Trail. Did not know about the trail behind Old Faithfull. Still need to do a lot more research. Thanks.

---------- Post added 07-25-19 at 02:38 PM ----------

This is the camera/lens kit I think I've settled on for this trip.

Pentax K50
Pentax K70
Pentax DA 16-45mm
Pentax D FA 28-105mm
Pentax DA 55-300mm PLM
Pentax DA* 300mm
Pentax DA 1.4x Teleconverter
Batteries, Tripod, filters and all other accessories

I won't carry all of it all the time. Just pull out what I think I'll need for the area or situation. I'll take with me, in a separate bag the DA 18-55mm, A-28mm, and DA 55-300mm (old version) for that just in case moment if it should happen, but hopefully I won't need them. I anticipate using the D FA 28-105mm the most. I really like that lens on a crop sensor.

Does this look right to all of you?

Last edited by DWS1; 07-25-2019 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
08-22-2019, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just back from a two-week trip hitting much the same list of parks. A couple quick observations:

* Though I brought other lenses in the car, I shot nearly the entire adventure with the 55-300 PLM and the 15 Limited. A great hiking combo on my two KPs, and I never felt the need for other glass. Except: I also have the DA* 300 and swapped it in for the PLM when I was shooting wildlife from the car.

* The latest official line from the park service on bear bells is, according to the signs at trail heads, don't bother. The sound doesn't carry enough in the bushy country where it's most needed to be useful. Talk loud or sing, they advise. We passed one group of hikers that had so many jingle bells they were like a bell choir.

* Bring bear spray with you. It costs $70 a canister in the park. (You can also rent canisters; I didn't check on prices.) We didn't carry bear spray, despite taking several hikes in grizzly country, and lived to tell the tale. It's not like they're behind every rock and tree. We did see one easy-going black bear.

Have fun!

08-22-2019, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

My advice take this cream. With after all day walk help with pain and muscle

Last edited by dstar; 04-24-2020 at 07:20 PM.
08-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Just back from a two-week trip hitting much the same list of parks. A couple quick observations:

* Though I brought other lenses in the car, I shot nearly the entire adventure with the 55-300 PLM and the 15 Limited. A great hiking combo on my two KPs, and I never felt the need for other glass. Except: I also have the DA* 300 and swapped it in for the PLM when I was shooting wildlife from the car.

* The latest official line from the park service on bear bells is, according to the signs at trail heads, don't bother. The sound doesn't carry enough in the bushy country where it's most needed to be useful. Talk loud or sing, they advise. We passed one group of hikers that had so many jingle bells they were like a bell choir.

* Bring bear spray with you. It costs $70 a canister in the park. (You can also rent canisters; I didn't check on prices.) We didn't carry bear spray, despite taking several hikes in grizzly country, and lived to tell the tale. It's not like they're behind every rock and tree. We did see one easy-going black bear.

Have fun!
Thanks for the tips. The more I think about this I believe the 55-300 plm may get the most use. Wide angle lenses just don't suit what I like to do. I would rather create multi shot panoramas using longer focal lengths. I really need to force myself to get more creative and use wide angles more. This trip should provide many opportunities for that.
08-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
did a quick scan, so I may have missed this hint but it is important

make sure other people know where you will be at and where you plan on being in the back country

if possible arrange with them a time span that you will contact them daily

leave such info in your vehicle in case anyone is looking for you.

take cell phone, it might work and it is light

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - PentaxForums.com

just got this email from LensRental.com

Get One Day Free

when you rent over Labor Day Weekend!

Use code LDAY19

Valid on all rentals that include 9.2 | One use per customer

have fun

be careful out there

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-27-2019 at 08:31 AM.
09-05-2019, 09:45 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
Thanks for the tips. The more I think about this I believe the 55-300 plm may get the most use. Wide angle lenses just don't suit what I like to do. I would rather create multi shot panoramas using longer focal lengths. I really need to force myself to get more creative and use wide angles more. This trip should provide many opportunities for that.
FWIW, I just returned from a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. I mostly used my DA* 16-50, followed by my 55-300PLM. Regarding stitching: many of the prime views have lots of people coming through. People were pretty considerate of each other taking photos, though someone monopolizing a spot for the time it takes to shoot a stitching series would not be welcome in many places and in other places, folks would inadvertently wander into your shot.

09-06-2019, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice, Roger. Reminded me of this shot I took in November 2012 with the K-5 and DAL 50-200, just south of Logan in Utah.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And here are the other users to which I referred.