Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
What the pedigree if this site "use.com"? Is it safe? Without that knowledge, I will not provide my e-mail or other info to them.
use.com has been around for as long as I have been using eBay. At one time they offered free templates for seller on the bay and a place to store photos. I would never vouge for the security of any site, but I have zero complaints. I've been storing files there for many years. You can set it up with any email addy you'd like, you're not required to dump your personal info to open an account.

You can take a look around at the link below.

Use - Free image hosting and photo sharing from Use.com

07-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I've had a Flickr account for about 12 years. Most of that time has been as a "pro" account. So far my fees have not hit the new rates, but I will continue to keep the Flickr account as once source of sharing my images. I use Google photos for sharing images to other media sites such as Instagram. I appreciate the access to Flickr Groups (also available with a free account). I have considered smugmug and 500px, but Flickr continues to serve my needs well enough to stick around.
10-01-2019, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #33
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I stuck with Flickr. The fee was well worth it for me.

There are features that I would like to see added: e.g. search within search results. But overall it is very well featured.

I recently found that it is possible to replace a photo - e.g. if you notice a dust spot after posting. Go to the photo you want to replace, click Edit (square with a pen in it) and select Replace. You get a warning that it can't be undone and a button to select the file you want to replace the posted image with. Select the replacement and it uploads. The great thing about this is that the name, description, tags, groups, albums, faves etc for the photo all remain the same (which is why this function should not be abused). Even the BBcode remains the same, so if you have posted the image here the links will still work and will show the replacement image. Really cool.
10-01-2019, 06:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I've also stuck with Flickr. 10 bucks a month is worth it, for ease of storage, sharing and being able to view pics of like minded people easily.

12-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #35
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Even the BBcode remains the same, so if you have posted the image here the links will still work and will show the replacement image. Really cool.
Actually it doesn't. You need to edit posts to inset the new code photo, if you can - editing seems to be unavailable for posts more than 12 months old.
12-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Actually it doesn't. You need to edit posts to inset the new code photo, if you can - editing seems to be unavailable for posts more than 12 months old.
What makes you say that? Is it because you replaced a picture, and still see the old one where it was posted? If so, that's because your computer's browser has the old image stored as a cache file, so it doesn't have to load the same images over and over again when you re-visit pages. Clear your browser's cache, and the image will re-load, showing the new version.
12-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
What makes you say that? Is it because you replaced a picture, and still see the old one where it was posted? If so, that's because your computer's browser has the old image stored as a cache file, so it doesn't have to load the same images over and over again when you re-visit pages. Clear your browser's cache, and the image will re-load, showing the new version.
No, the replaced image disappears completely in the PF post.

For example, the image of the Olive Whistler (2nd photo in this post) has disappeared: Wildlife - Page 84 - PentaxForums.com

The replacement was identical, except that I put the lens name in the EXIF:

I can't edit the original post to replace the link (because the post is more than 12 months old).

I understand that the BBcode for the original image will not link to the replacement (Flickr: The Help Forum: Replacing a photo while retaining the same URL). That is, the BBcode I just generated from the replacement image is different from that for the original image.

12-08-2020, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, the replaced image disappears completely in the PF post.
That is not new. It has been that way pretty much forever. The new image (based on a different file) has a different URL and the old one becomes unavailable.

Steve
12-09-2020, 03:59 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is not new. It has been that way pretty much forever. The new image (based on a different file) has a different URL and the old one becomes unavailable.

Steve
I think Des was trying to fix some dead flickr links in old posts and found he couldn't do it. I'm guessing at the time he didn't realize that replacing an image on Flickr did generate a new BB Code/
12-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think Des was trying to fix some dead flickr links in old posts and found he couldn't do it. I'm guessing at the time he didn't realize that replacing an image on Flickr did generate a new BB Code/
Thanks for the heads up! I did not go back far enough in the thread to see the purpose of the post. My bad.

Sorry @Des

Steve
12-09-2020, 05:26 PM   #41
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Exactly. I revived the thread (post #35) to correct what I said in post #33, so that I didn't lure anyone else into the same mistake.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry @Des
No problem Steve.