Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2019, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #16

Photos: Albums
Flickr is still my choice I can share my photos with the family and the cost is really not to bad.No adds no problems

07-24-2019, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Since the change in Flickr policy making it a paid subscription to keep more than 1000 photos, I have stopped putting up any images online.
So now, I'm trying to see what are the good alternatives some of you have moved to.

Generally, I just need a place to easily share the photos onto forums like this one.

Thanks
Good grief! The charge is minimal for a good service that is very handy with unlimited access to your images. I'll wager that you can't find one better anywhere for close to the price. Do you pay for software to process your photos? Why not get something free and get away from paying for that too?
07-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I stay at 1000. I delete some to upload more. I had to reevaluate my use. The fact my photos will drop if or when I quit the service makes me not willing to build my content up.
07-24-2019, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I stay at 1000. I delete some to upload more. I had to reevaluate my use. The fact my photos will drop if or when I quit the service makes me not willing to build my content up.
Don't you store your images locally? Flickr IMHO was not meant to be an image storage facility.

07-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Don't you store your images locally? Flickr IMHO was not meant to be an image storage facility.
If I used Flickr for storage I would only have 1000 photos.
07-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If I used Flickr for storage I would only have 1000 photos.
Sorry, Chris, from this statement: "The fact my photos will drop if or when I quit the service makes me not willing to build my content up". It sounded as if you were using Flickr as cloud storage.
07-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #22

I'm running my own gallery software (an instance of Piwigo) on my own server. I wouldn't trust anyone else to keep doing a good job for as long as I need the hosting, even if they are today/

07-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon prime allows unlimited number of photos uploaded. There is way to select some and create shared link. Of course, as far as Amazon Prime is far form free, it makes a sense only if you have Amazon prime for some other needs like free delivery, prime movies streaming, and and even Whole Foods discount.

Last edited by jumbleview; 07-24-2019 at 11:12 PM.
07-24-2019, 10:07 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

I'm not inclined to leave Flickr just yet, as the VAST MAJORITY of my licensed deals have found me on Flickr. the membership fee is thus quite insignificant.

I'm a stayin'
07-24-2019, 10:09 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies...
Perhaps I will try to use Google Drive for now.

On paying.
I am not much of a photographer with nothing notable, nor worthy of paying for, to keep on a paid service.
Flickr has been nothing more than a means to more easily share photos to participate in forums (with like minded folks) and share tidbits of information on camera gear and photography.
07-25-2019, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for all the replies...

On paying.
I am not much of a photographer with nothing notable, nor worthy of paying for, to keep on a paid service.
Flickr has been nothing more than a means to more easily share photos to participate in forums (with like minded folks) and share tidbits of information on camera gear and photography.
I would disagree with that. You have shared some wonderful photos over the years. That doesn't mean you have to pay for Flickr, but it would be unfortunate if you stopped sharing photos here on the Forum.

I hope you find something that works for you.
07-25-2019, 03:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Good grief! The charge is minimal for a good service that is very handy with unlimited access to your images. I'll wager that you can't find one better anywhere for close to the price. Do you pay for software to process your photos? Why not get something free and get away from paying for that too?
You are offering an opinion based on your financial situation. I agree that in general the charge seems minimal, but for those on a very tight budget "minimal" is an extra expense they can not afford.

There are alternative to flickr, you may not get the community experience but you will have free storage space. I already posted links in other threads to use.com. Unlimited and free, no community experience, nothing fancy, just a place to store photo files.
07-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I already posted links in other threads to use.com. Unlimited and free, no community experience, nothing fancy, just a place to store photo files.
What the pedigree if this site "use.com"? Is it safe? Without that knowledge, I will not provide my e-mail or other info to them.
07-25-2019, 10:50 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still with Flickr as is everyone that I follow.

Steve
07-25-2019, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let us know how that works for photo sharing here.

Steve