Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2019, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post Flickr Apocalypse - what are you using now?

Since the change in Flickr policy making it a paid subscription to keep more than 1000 photos, I have stopped putting up any images online.
So now, I'm trying to see what are the good alternatives some of you have moved to.

Generally, I just need a place to easily share the photos onto forums like this one.

Thanks

07-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I didn't know this.....Intently following !
07-23-2019, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I already have Google Drive, Pinholecam, so for this forum I can just link to individual images in it.
07-23-2019, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Pinholecam! I'm so glad to see you're still on the forum! I've always admired your pictures.

Anyway, I've always used SmugMug... which isn't helpful to you at all, since they're the ones who own Flickr now. I, too, hate paying for things, especially recurring payments, but I feel like $50 a year is a small amount to pay for a stable, no-nonsense photo hosting service. Looks like that's the same price for Flickr, going forward.

07-23-2019, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
still using flickr - I've no issues with paying for a handy/convenient online storage receptacle for my images...
07-23-2019, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I actually think the move to restrict free accounts on Flickr to 1,000 images is a good, move, and I've started using it again since.
I'd rather have 1,000 good images, than just a place to offload everything I've got. I don't think I've got 1,000 flagged photos in Lightroom, even though I've got over 40,000 total images. I checked my K-50 shutter count recently, and after 4 1/2 years of ownership, it was sitting on just over 10,000, and of course I haven't kept all those images.
When I was posting to Instagram, I worked out I was posting maybe on average a couple of times a week, so at that rate, Flickr gives me close to 10 years worth of storage.
Instagram itself, while not imposing limits on number of images, does impose limits on frequency of posting to try to prevent it becoming a dumping ground.
Flickr offers better image quality than either Instagram or Google photos, which both tend to compress images, so I'm happy with a 1,000 image limit if I get to choose the image quality.
I figure if I reach the 1,000 limit, I can either do a cull of photos that I think are less notable, or I can start paying. If I need to publish thousands of photos online, there's a good chance photography has become more than just a hobby, in which case, I should be able to claim any expenditure as a tax write-off.
I personally like the idea the Flickr has ceased to become a dumping ground. Just as I find Vimeo tends to have more thoughtful video content than Youtube, I think Flickr, by operating on a freemium model is likely to encourage higher quality content.
07-23-2019, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The flickr pro license is not too expensive, given the number of pics I have there and the convenience for sharing with family and friends. I stuck with it.

07-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Flickr's fine by me.
07-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd much rather pay for Flickr than put up with an Ad bloated experience. I don't expect anything worthwhile to be 'free' and would rather not have Ads inserted into my photostream.
07-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone find it hard to upload from the android app? The only way I can get them to upload is by reinstalling the app. Re subscription, I am fine with it at the current price but could do with knowing about a viable alternative, just in case they get greedy
07-23-2019, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I agree with Sandy,Paul,etc.For the cost Flickr is hard to beat.
07-24-2019, 12:30 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Free" means the hosting site is free to bombard you with adverts, and use your data in ways you don't know.

I prefer to pay for a product like Flickr
07-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I use Imgur, just for linking on forums because it's very fast.
I am still planning on making a Flickr account to.
07-24-2019, 01:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I just defaulted to Microsoft Onedrive when I started back into photography - currently with a 5GB limit - free. Am contemplating paying $99.00 per year for Office 365, as I still use Word and Excel a bit, and still give voluntary workshop classes once or twice a month. So for $99.00 per year I would get that plus 1 TB of Onedrive storage.

I have noticed that drawing down .DNG raw images does seem to need 5-10 seconds before the full image is rendered and sharp.
07-24-2019, 03:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I have noticed that drawing down .DNG raw images does seem to need 5-10 seconds before the full image is rendered and sharp.
that is not a RAW image you are viewing, but the JPEG preview contained within the RAW file.