Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #1

Tunnel Tour - Tulsa

There's tunnels in Tulsa which, rumors are, were used to move alcohol during prohibition. Tomorrow my wife and I are taking a tour but it's a new photography subject for us. I'm Pentax, she's Canon, and we're debating what lenses to take.

Lens options we have...

Canon t7i
10-20mm
24mm prime
50mm prime
11mm manual fisheye
18-55mm f/2.8

Pentax K3 II
40mm prime
50mm prime
11mm manual fisheye
17-50mm f/2.8

I will also be taking my Panasonic gx85 with 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.

Obviously, we don't want to carry all that (plus water) for a couple hours. Anyone have experience with tunnels? Suggestions on lenses to pack? We'll probably take flashes but won't use them unless it's necessary.

---------- Post added 08-09-19 at 06:57 PM ----------

Searching Flickr... Looks like tunnels in general are shot between 10mm and 30mm (while inside the tunnel). I guess that answers which lenses to take but other suggestions are welcome. We'll be with a group so I'm not sure how much photo time we'll get.

08-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't really shot in tunnels but the ones I've been in (service tunnels) don't have the best lighting. I would expect that something wide a fast would be good. Those 2.8 zooms you both have would be my choices.
08-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I second the 2.8 zooms.
08-09-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple thoughts - between your wife's 10-20mm and your 17-50mm, you've got a good range of focal lengths for tunnels. You and she can coordinate who takes which shot. I suspect that the group won't want to wait while you change lenses for a shot, unless it's a group of photographers. (Is the outing primarily a walking tour or a photo excursion?) If it were me, I'd stick with those two zooms. How important would it be to swap to a prime for the best IQ? Alternatively, one of you could use your best zoom and the other one your best prime.

When I've gone on walks with a group, I have often found myself stopping to take a certain shot, then having to run to catch up with the group. It can be a little frustrating. The faster you can grab a shot, the better.

08-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
It's a walking tour. So changing lenses isn't ideal since we're with the general public. Time consuming and don't want someone carelessly knocking a lens out of my hand.

The 11mm are f/2.8 but difficult to focus. I'm tempted to try anyway as it could be some cool shots.

I'm leaning towards 17-50 f/2.8 &18-55 f/2.8 but we try to use different lens to get different shots. Not sure her 10-20mm kit lens will let in enough light or if the flash will work well in that situation (she hasn't used it before - a recent gift).

Worst case, we'll have to go on the tour again.

08-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Looks to me the two 2.8 zooms are your best choices. If your 50 is a fast f1.7 or f1.4, I would bring that too.
08-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the 17-50 for the Pentax. I don’t own the lens, but I don’t think you need anything longer. I also agree you probable don’t want to stop and switch lenses. The 17-50 gives you some wide shots or close-ups. The tunnels are probably also dusty which is another reason not to switch lenses.

08-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With the lenses you have for your Pentax, the 17 -50 would be good but probably not wide enough. To work around that think of possibly stitching photos together when composing your shot. If not a photo tour you may be limited to mostly grab shots. Extra batteries for the flash too.
08-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
The tour was good but the tunnels weren't what I expected. All but one had been renovated so they look like hallways, not tunnels. Not a great photo tour.

But... Many of the buildings they connect are over 100 years old. And those buildings are worth photographing. Good tour if you go for the historical information. I'll probably post a couple photos this evening.

Next month is the art deco tour and that may be a better photo tour.

08-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
The one photo from an actual tunnel. Looks like minimal work had been done since it was created.
https://flic.kr/p/2gUxGfZ

Beautiful lights in one of the old buildings.
https://flic.kr/p/2gUxFAx
https://flic.kr/p/2gUwKoo

Bronze statue in one of the buildings. Not the original location and the elbow is not resting on the books.
https://flic.kr/p/2gUwFkU

The full album is here but there's only a couple tunnel photos.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmG1FJZ6

08-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
The tour was good but the tunnels weren't what I expected. All but one had been renovated so they look like hallways, not tunnels. Not a great photo tour.

But... Many of the buildings they connect are over 100 years old. And those buildings are worth photographing. Good tour if you go for the historical information. I'll probably post a couple photos this evening.

Next month is the art deco tour and that may be a better photo tour.
Doug Jackson probably has SV Seeker tours, though he is in the middle of painting.
08-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Doug Jackson probably has SV Seeker tours, though he is in the middle of painting.
Never heard of it but it looks interesting. I'll have to add it to my list of things to visit.

08-14-2019, 07:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Many of the buildings they connect are over 100 years old. And those buildings are worth photographing.
Tulsa has some very cool buildings downtown. Of the ones I've visited, I like the Philcade Building the best.